Does anyone in this forum actually get up and put in a disc ???? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 124 Old 02-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Try a 100" 1080p Image.. the difference is there. Some don't care and the trade off of quality to smaller storage size is worth it. If you care more about the cost of storage than how good your movie looks that's a personal decision. But the quality loss is there. It's impossible to shrink a 30GB BR to under 10GB and not have some degree of quality loss. It you care about it is another story.

When a 3TB drive costs $99 (technically they call 3TB 3000GB for some reason now)

So the math is easy. 30GB movies would be 3000 divided by 30GB each movie. 100 movies for $99. That is a dollar a movie to store you movie in full quality. That's nothing compared to the cost of a movie, if you are going to spend the time and money getting a full quality BR because you enjoy the superior quality you might as well keep it the best it can be for only $1. Storage is cheap.

That's one way to look at the math. The other way to look at it is that if you can put 250-300 movies on the same 3TB hard drive with no appreciable loss in quality to your eyes than you are saving $200 without sacrificing anything except a little time. And whatever you spend on the movies and however cheap storage is now compared to what it once cost, $200 is still $200 if you're trying to stick to a budget.

Not to say I don't understand your logic in keeping the full rips also. Just saying there's logic the other way too and it's a personal choice either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 Old 02-12-2014, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

And BTW I understand that compressing video does entail a loss in quality by definition. The question is whether it's a loss you actually notice or more theoretical. That depends on a lot of variables including display size, viewing distance, and how you choose to watch your movies (as a videophile looking for flaws to point on your next bluray review or as a someone who just likes to watch movies without taking a magnifying glass to each one). For me, it's not a difference that I see and since I'm okay with the time it takes to Handbrake my movies I prefer to save a little money where I can.
post #123 of 124 Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

With literally thousands of movies to chose from, they pick these?
Code:
The Amazing Spiderman
Battle Los Angeles
Salt
That’s My Boy
Total Recall (2012)
Bad Teacher
The Other Guys
The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Karate Kid (2010)
Taxi Driver

Yikes what a crap list. For what a 4K TV and player cost together you'd think they'd make an effort to put some actual good movies on the thing. Did they just pull those titles out of a hat or something? What a joke.
post #124 of 124 Old 06-05-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1016
Something like Jriver is a good option for audio IMO... Check it out.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page