Strange problem with my media collection - MKVs being replaced by folders - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I've been having some problems with my WHS2011. I moved it to a virtualized environment and kept having issues with setting the permissions on folders. I was getting the issue where it just hangs up at 'refreshing folders'. I reinstalled, but still no love. I thought maybe the issue was with FlexRAID, maybe something with it not liking the existing folder structure, etc. I tried scanning each drive for errors, found nothing. Finally, I rebuilt the WHS2011, and then rebuilt my FlexRAID array one disk at a time, basically adding a disk, copying the data from a non-array disk into the array, formatting that disk, adding it into the array, etc. This took forever, but it seems to have identified the problem.

During all that copying, I found what I THINK might have been causing the problem. Somehow, a large number of my files, mainly MKVs, have had the following happen:

Files originally-
[Folder]My Videos[/Folder]
video1.mkv
video2.mkv
video3.mkv
video4.mkv

Files now -
[Folder]My Videos[/Folder]
[Folder]video1.mkv[/Folder]

Underneath each of these 'mkv' folders is a file named 'mediainfo' (I can't remember the extension, at work right now, but will get it tonight if it matters). The actual MKV file is NOT in there. The MKV file shows nowhere!

However, if I delete the '.mkv' folders, the MKV files show back up, just as they were originally!

I've fixed all of these at this point, but I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Anyone ever had this happen? Any idea what program might have done it? It looks like it was trying to move my MKV files into individual folders then add the meta data but was unable to move the files.

I've only used three programs for meta data Media Browser 2, Media Center Master and OpenELEC (on a RPi, but I thought all its metadata stuff was kept on the SD Card in the RPi). I just want to make sure that I eliminate whatever was causing this. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
I had this happen too. It's the media info file getting named the same but getting located in a different drive.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Were you able to fix it? What creates that file?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 676
The media info plugin program

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ahh, thanks! I didn't reinstall that when I rebuilt my PC. Going to keep that one off for sure!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page