Verify blu-ray disc region info - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What software can I use to determine the region of a blu-ray disc? I've been searching around and all I can find out is how to determine the settings of the player or how to remove the region info.

I just want to be able to pop a disc in my computer and verify what region it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my electro-industrial music project

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I am not sure why you want to do this ???

You can always flash your firmware on your BR optical drive too. Pretty easy to do and make it a different region.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I use AnyDVD for watching discs from other regions.

I just want to verify the region encoding on discs. Right now Wing Commander is in my drive and I'd like let someone know if it is indeed region A like is advertised or if it's region free. Sometimes packaging is incorrect and it would be nice to actually scan the disc and find out for myself what region it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by neveser View Post

I use AnyDVD for watching discs from other regions.

I just want to verify the region encoding on discs. Right now Wing Commander is in my drive and I'd like let someone know if it is indeed region A like is advertised or if it's region free. Sometimes packaging is incorrect and it would be nice to actually scan the disc and find out for myself what region it is.

Not possible to tell by just scanning the disc, the only way to tell is to use a player like Total Media Theatre and play the disc back with TMT set to a different region each time, use this tool to set the region of TMT

Example -

Set TMT to Region A > Insert disc > Open TMT > Playback
Close TMT > set to Region B > Insert disc > Playback
Close TMT > set to Region C > Insert disc > Playback

Make sure AnyDVD is disabled when doing this (Or a least make sure AnyDVD is not set to remove region)

If you have a standalone player that has the ability to select what region, you can do the same thing.

Edit -

This might be an easier way - you will still need commercial BD playback software to try it though (TMT/PowerDVD etc)

In AnyDVD's region settings, set to remove region and check "always ask" what region.
Insert the disc and let AnyDVD scan, it will pop up and ask you what region the disc is- choose B.
Now playback the disc with TMT/PowerDVD, if it plays then the disc is Region B compatible, if it doesn't play and you get a incompatible region message then the disc is not Region B compatible.
Eject the disc and repeat the process, this time select Region C when AnyDVD asks.
neveser likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the response, acejh1987. I've read about people doing that TMT and thought there had to be a better way. I use TMT so I'll try what you suggested with AnyDVD.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page