Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-07-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hello everyone,

Many of you have been waiting for this day.... Here is a recent post from MB3s IOS client Dev.
Quote:
The last few weeks I have been on an IOS client for Mediabrowser. Just wanted to show off some screenshots of the work in progress.

**Features:**

- Auto discovery of server
- Media Listing, search and mark watched
- HLS native streaming Quick
- Play/Remote Play to any support
- client (Web, MBC, MBT etc) Full
- functional remote control
- Seek
- Play/Pause
- Rewind 30 seconds
- Skip to next (in case of music and tv shows)
- Skip to next chapter (in case of movies)
- Change clients to control
- Pause on incoming call

**Todos:**

- UI Cleanup on Media Detail page
- Implement light and dark themes
- Landing page with now playing, newly added, next up
- Settings page - Pick users, sort options and other admin controls
- Tweak the detail page for music and tv shows
- Bug Fixes

Thanks for all the help from the dev team members!
abobader likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gamertag:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just installed media browser/server 3 and the ios app and it works great. Am I able to access media remotely when not on my home network?
post #3 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Yes. You can biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Yes. You can biggrin.gif

Can anyone help me how to setup my router and how to access the server from the web. I have a linksys router. I'm assuming I go into the applications and gaming tab which has a single port forwarding tab. I'm new to this and only have limited knowledge about port forwarding.

Thanks
post #5 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22

Hey ps veeps,

You'll want to setup Port Forwarding from you Linkys router's external IP address to the PC upon which the MB3 server is installed.

Here's how my port forwarding is configured on my Netgear WNDR4500, however you'll be following the same basic steps.

1) Logon to the router

2) Click Advanced and then click Internet Port

3) Make a note of your Internet IP Address

4) Click Advanced Setup

5) Click Port Forwarding/Port Triggering

6) Click Add Custom Service, which will take you to the Ports - Custom Service screen

7) Within the Service Name field, enter the friendly name of the new Custom Service (I named mine "MediaBrowser3")

8) Within the External Starting Port and External Ending Port fields, enter 8096

9) Within the Service Type drop-down, choose "TCP"

10) Ensure that the "Use the same port range for Internal port" is checked

11) At this point, you'll need to know the internal (i.e.: 192.168.xxx.xxx) IP address or hostname of the PC upon which MB3 server is installed. Enter that IP address, or if you can, just click the PC in the "List of attached devices". The screen should look similar to this:

12) Click Apply. Your screen should look similar to this:

13) Open a browser and browse to http://<ip-address-noted-from-step-3>:8096/mediabrowser

14) Your browser window should look similar to this:

The above screenshot was taken while I'm at home on WiFi, so I'm on the same network (192.168.1.x) as my server. Theoretically, I could still connect to http://192.168.1.9:8096/mediabrowser , however I always connect to the external IP addy.

This screenshot was taken while I'm at home, on WiFi, and VPN'd into one of my servers at work:

I logon as Justin, enter the password for that profile, and here we go:

Hopefully that'll help you care of the NAT firewall on your Linksys.

If you're running a software firewall on the PC running MB3 Server, you'll also need to open up 8096.

Here are steps of doing so with firewall built into Windows 8:

1) Logon locally to the PC running MB3 Server

2) Go to Control Panel

3) Go to System and Security

4) Click Administrative Tools

5) Right click "Windows Firewall With Advanced Security" and choose "Run as Administrator" from the context menu

6) Right click Inbound Rules and choose "New Rule" from the context menu

7) Click the "Port" radio button and click "Next"

8) Ensure that the "TCP" and "Specific Local Ports" radio buttons are checked

9) Type "8096" in the "Specific Local Ports" field (without the quotes) and click "Next"

10) Click "Allow the Connection" and click "Next"

11) Click "Private" and "Public" and click "Next"

12) Type a friendly name (I named mine "!MediaBrowser3") and a description click "Finish" (I placed an explanation point in the front of the name so that it pops up first in the list of Inbound Rules)

13) Click Finish

Since you've now opened up a hole from the Internet directly through to your endpoint (your PC running MB3 Server), you'll definitely want to ensure you have super-strong passwords for your local Windows accounts. In Windows 7 and 8, the local Administrator account is disabled by default, which is a good thing. Bad guys might want to port scan you, find 8096 open and begin brute forcing your local Administrator account to see if it's 1) enabled and 2) has a weak password.

Also, MB3 Server runs as a start-up program (not a background service) you're always going to have to have an account logged on interactively.

Hope this helps get you pointed in the right direction...keep us appraised as to your status!

Mfusick likes this.

Case:Fractal Design Node 605
APU:AMD Richland A10-6700
RAM:8GB AMD 1866
Board:ASUS A88XM Plus
Storage:OCZ 256 GB Vector
Optical:Panasonic Slim BDR
PS:Silverstone Strider 550 Gold SFF
Software:WMC8+LAV+madVR+MPC-HC
Input:Logitech K400 mini KB/trackpad+Harmony 720
Output:Sammy 55" S6 LED LCD+Yamaha soundbar
post #6 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Strong post bro!

Gotta thumbs up that.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 PM

Thanks. Got it setup and it works. Just tested it using cellular network. MB3 is awesome!
post #8 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:

Strong post bro!

Gotta thumbs up that.

Much thanks Mfusick!

post #9 of 19 Old 10-05-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd veeps View Post

Thanks. Got it setup and it works. Just tested it using cellular network. MB3 is awesome!

Glad to hear you're setup and working!

Totally agree bro, MB3 is awesome!

Also, I updated my post with to include this caveat:

Since you've now opened up a hole from the Internet directly through to your endpoint (your PC running MB3 Server), you'll definitely want to ensure you have super-strong passwords for your local Windows accounts. In Windows 7 and 8, the local Administrator account is disabled by default, which is a good thing. Bad guys might want to port scan you, find 8096 open and begin brute forcing your local Administrator account to see if it's 1) enabled and 2) has a weak password.

Also, MB3 Server runs as a start-up program (not a background service) you're always going to have to have an account logged on interactively.

post #10 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I never understood the point of that though. I mean - In my case I use my HTPC and server for movies. What are they going to do steal my movies? There is never any personal or financial information on my server or my HTPC.

So how important is that ?

-

post #11 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzy G.L.X. View Post

Glad to hear you're setup and working!

Totally agree bro, MB3 is awesome!

Also, I updated my post with to include this caveat:

How to I setup a password for windows administrator and still bypass the login screen? I don't want to have to type in a password every time windows wakes.
post #12 of 19 Old 10-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd veeps View Post

How to I setup a password for windows administrator and still bypass the login screen? I don't want to have to type in a password every time windows wakes.

Here's some steps that my help you avoid being prompted with a password dialogue when Windows wakes up and avoids having to enter credentials every time Windows boots.

1) Go to Start and then Run

2) In the Run field, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes). The User Accounts window will appear

3) Click the Advanced tab and uncheck Require users to press CTRL+ALT+Delete

3) Click the Users tab and "Users must enter a user name...."

4) Highlight the account that you'll want to always have logged in every time Windows starts (note that Administrator account does not appear, which is a good thing. You'd have to manually re-enable the local Administrator account to use the account to interactively logon, which is not advisable. Choose the account that you want to use as your daily-driver, so to speak):

5) Click OK and bounce your PC. If the Windows logon still appears then User Account Control (UAC) is most likely still enabled. To disable it:

5.1) Navigate to Control Panel -->User Accounts and Family Safety --> User Accounts and click Change User Account Control settings

5.2) Set UAC to Never Notify:

5.4) Reboot (you should receive a prompt to reboot)

At this point, your PC should boot straight to the desktop, logged in as the account you chose via Step 4. Now let's ensure that account's theme does not prompt for a password upon resuming from sleep.

1) Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose Personalize from the context menu

2) Click Screen Saver

3) Click Change Power Settings

4) Click Require a password on wakeup

5) Click the radio button named "Don't require a password" and then click Save Changes

5.1) In case the radio button named "Don't require a password" is greyed-out, then click the link named "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

5.2) Click Save Changes

In case you find that even after running thru these steps you're still prompted for a password upon wakeup, then your theme's power plan is probably configured to require a PW upon wakeup. I'm pretty sure that a power plan will override some manually configured settings. To fix this:

1) Right click anywhere on the desktop and choose Personalize from the context menu

2) Click Screen Saver

3) Click Change Power Settings

4) Find your active plan and click Change Plan Settings:

6) Click Change advanced power settings:

6.1) If required, click the link named "Change settings that are currently unavailable"

7) Expand Require a password on wakeup and then choose "No" from the context menu:

8) Click Apply and then OK. Back in the Edit plan settings window, click Save Changes **if** the Save Changes button is not greyed out

At this point, you've changed a component of your Windows Theme, so you'll want to make sure that you save your theme prior to logging out or bouncing your PC:

2) The current, active theme, which will contain your new power setting, should be highlighted in a right blue square and named "Unsaved Theme":

3) Click Save theme, type in a cool name for your new theme and click Save:

That should be about it bro, you should now not be bugged with password prompts on your HTPC.

For the record, I use the Control Userpasswords2 trick on all three of my systems (HTPC, Media Server and Samsung laptop) and have been using it for years.

I use a Microsoft account (aka Outlook.com account) to logon to my laptop and Media Server, both of which are Windows 8, so my theme follows me around on both systems, to include mouse pointers, power plan, fonts, regional settings, etc. My HTPC is still Windows 7, so I just have a plain old local user account there.

Mfusick likes this.

post #13 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup. Another thumbs up BRO ^

But you leave out the part where you can create or disable users in MB3 tongue.gif

-

post #14 of 19 Old 10-07-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Yup. Another thumbs up BRO ^

But you leave out the part where you can create or disable users in MB3 tongue.gif

Thanks Mfusick! Yeah, just wanted to concentrate on local Windows OS accounts and not having to enter creds on something like a living room PC.

The MB3 Server software allows browsers to store users' credentials if the browser is configured to allow that.

post #15 of 19 Old 10-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:

I never understood the point of that though. I mean - In my case I use my HTPC and server for movies. What are they going to do steal my movies? There is never any personal or financial information on my server or my HTPC.

So how important is that ?

Good point! It may seem far fetched, but here's the scenario I'd be worried about:

1) Bad guys are port scanning your ISP's customer network...let's say that's 98.230.xxx.xxx

2) Bad guys' script find TCP 8096 open on 98.230.250.111

3) Bad guys script begins querying 8096 and finds out that it's HTTP...let's say MB3 Server's HTTP service is vulnerable to remote-code execution, or a SQL injection of some sort.

Now, truthfully, I can't tell you exactly what kind of information they can glean or what they can do once they've exploited you. As you mentioned, all you have are movies stored on your HTPC and server. Heck, the bad guys probably belong to release groups anyway and get content before it's posted on P2P, so they don't need your stuff.

I'd be more worried about two things:

1) The bad people might be able to break out the process, or processes, in which the vulnerable code runs and grabbing files, including the hash tables that hold my locally stored credentials. Having weak passwords makes it all the easier go crack those credentials.

2) They bad guys using the HTPC or media server as a "jumping off point", so to speak, in which to do other bad stuff on the internet. Or, scanning my internal network (192.168.xxx.xxx), possibly finding more vulnerabilities and traversing thru my laptop, tablet, phone, etc.

So, strong passwords for your MB3 profiles and local Windows accounts are a good thing...a little paranoia goes a long way!

A couple of my InfoSec homies also mentioned:

I'd add using the compromised host to arp spoof your default gateway and man in the middle all of your internet traffic to steal your various passwords and session cookies, and potentially injecting malicious code in all http responses to target third party browser plugin vulns on other hosts.

Another issue with a compromised host if the other windows hosts on the network are configured with IPv6 you could turn that on and act as the default gateway or whatever you want. Windows is by default configured to utilize IPv6 over IPv4. (ie. Turn on IPv6 and all windows traffic will come to you. No arp spoofing required).

Also, trust me, before Luke, EBR and the rest of the MB dev team kill me, in no way, shape or form and I suggesting the MB3 Server is vulnerable to anything. They're doing an awesome job and I rely on MB3 literally, all day, every day, to serve up and consume content these days.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-19-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Anyone else using the iOS7 MB3 client application ???

-

post #17 of 19 Old 11-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 113
It's been downloaded in 120 countries last i checked so yes, i would say so smile.gif
post #18 of 19 Old 11-20-2013, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The first screens of our upcoming iPad app are now being released:

post #19 of 19 Old 11-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23