Help me build a NAS from an old computer - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 601
I just traded my Dune TV303D, for a i5 CPU + Mobo deal. Getting ready to start building a more power server. I'm probably going to go with Win 8 or WHS2011 + FlexRaid. I am going to keep my UnRaid server for back up purposes, and the FlexRaid will be for streaming within and outside network. biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 950
You might was well copy over your data from the Unraid server to the flexraid ... Then dismantle it. Add the drives from Unraid to your new flexraid server.

Save the power and energy of running two machines.

WHS has automated back up of desktops and laptops and does that really well.
GusGus748s likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #93 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
All I want is storage box that is accessible by movie boxes and PC/Macs. A NAS box.

I like how unraid allows the flexibility to swap drives, different sized drives, if one drive fails no biggie, only powers up drives you need vs. all drives because data is strewn across all drives.

Seems a lot easier if a failure does occur to have an unraid setup vs. a raid setup.

Very little reading, but what I have read makes sense to me.

Feel free to point out what I am missing.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
post #94 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

All I want is storage box that is accessible by movie boxes and PC/Macs. A NAS box.

I like how unraid allows the flexibility to swap drives, different sized drives, if one drive fails no biggie, only powers up drives you need vs. all drives because data is strewn across all drives.

Seems a lot easier if a failure does occur to have an unraid setup vs. a raid setup.

Very little reading, but what I have read makes sense to me.

Feel free to point out what I am missing.

I agree, but I am trying to do more than just storing my data, and UnRaid is difficult to work with for me. In my opinion Windows + FlexRaid will be easier to deal with, and FlexRaid works similar to UnRaid, and you can have 2 parity drives vs 1 with UnRaid.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #95 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Flexraid does all that and then sum biggrin.gif. It's just like Unraid (software RAID)

I agree you don't want hardware RAID. Unraid will work for what you want to do just fine.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #96 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

You might was well copy over your data from the Unraid server to the flexraid ... Then dismantle it. Add the drives from Unraid to your new flexraid server.

Save the power and energy of running two machines.

WHS has automated back up of desktops and laptops and does that really well.

I agree. I need to get at least 10 TB first for FlexRaid before I can do that though. I'll probably start selling Mobo + CPU + RAM + UnRaid Pro License as soon as I can get FlexRaid working and set up to do what I need.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #97 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

No Unraid is a fine choice.

WHS2011 ($35) + Flexraid ($69) is probably better in that it has some good advantages over Unraid but sometimes those advantages are not important to some people.

Both are tried and true solutions with lots of happy users. It often comes down to Linux vs windows (but flexraid works on Linux) .

If you want the myriad of windows advantages or WHS features you add Flexraid to cheap WHS2011. If you don't need or don't want windows at all you go Unraid.

Neither is right or wrong though.

Where are you seeing WHS2011 for $35? Cheapest I found was $50 on Newegg.

Also can Flexraid give the ability to add drives to the array at a later time? Or do I need to have all drives during setup, like FreeNas? I have 2x WD Red 3Tb drives now and was wanting to buy 2 more when they go on sale at Amazon.
post #98 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I agree, but I am trying to do more than just storing my data, and UnRaid is difficult to work with for me. In my opinion Windows + FlexRaid will be easier to deal with, and FlexRaid works similar to UnRaid, and you can have 2 parity drives vs 1 with UnRaid.

What? Not too long ago you stated Unraid was solid for you, and you have no issues with it.

What changed?

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #99 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And what's the advantage of two parity drives over one? If a parity drive backs the data up (unraid is max 96 TB) then the only reason I can see to add another parity is for the ability to add more storage drives.

Unless the extra parity is mirroring in case the first parity fails. But that doesn't make much sense.

post #100 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Dual parity with flexraid allows you to suffer dual simultaneous HDD failures without data loss.

With 1 parity if you lose 1 data drive you survive but if you lose 2 at same time your out like a boner in sweatpants and SOL.

Dual parity is for increased protection but is not needed. I doubt you need that (yet). Dual parity is advisable if you have more than 8 data drives.

-

post #101 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

4TB drives just showed up. Took about 3 seconds to crack them open.

Do I need to format in a certain way?

post #102 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What? Not too long ago you stated Unraid was solid for you, and you have no issues with it.

What changed?

I doubt anything is "wrong" with Unraid.

It's probably that he's discovered some of the advantages of flexraid and/or things have changes recently with newer and more capable front ends now utilizing a "server" program to be run on a server (mediabrowser3 and PLEX) in addition to the traditional front end only applications historically popular (media browser 2 and XBMC)

The newer front ends allow for transcoding on the fly to tablets and smartphones and laptops , and even up streaming your media over the Internet to enjoy when your away. Things you did not do years ago when XBMC and Mediabrowser2 launched.

A basic cheap Unraid server is not appropriate for such things; a Windows or WHS machine is much better.

Plus with Flexraid you can add full drives or drives with data on them any time (you can't or lose the data with Unraid). You can also remove or take apart a flexraid server and your HDDs are readable in any windows machines. Unraid that's not possible natively.

It's not fair to give flexraid credit over Unraid for the myriad of windows or WHS advantages like compatibility with basically anything and ability to do anything because that's a feature of windows advantage and not necessarily flexraid but still it's worth pointing out.

-

post #103 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I doubt anything is "wrong" with Unraid.

It's probably that he's discovered some of the advantages of flexraid and/or things have changes recently with newer and more capable front ends now utilizing a "server" program to be run on a server (mediabrowser3 and PLEX) in addition to the traditional front end only applications historically popular (media browser 2 and XBMC)

The newer front ends allow for transcoding on the fly to tablets and smartphones and laptops , and even up streaming your media over the Internet to enjoy when your away. Things you did not do years ago when XBMC and Mediabrowser2 launched.

Got it...

I just want a simple nas box. If I need a movie on the iPad I'll rip it into a small file and load it on. Old school.....
biggrin.gif

post #104 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

4TB drives just showed up. Took about 3 seconds to crack them open.

Do I need to format in a certain way?

Yes. Initialize them as GPT and not MBR. Delete all partitions and format them as a single 4TB partition using windows standard NTFS defaults (for windows or WHS and not Unraid )
Quote:

Got it...

I just want a simple nas box. If I need a movie on the iPad I'll rip it into a small file and load it on. Old school.....
biggrin.gif

Don't under estimate how much of a PITA this is compared to a modern front end like PLEX or MB3 doing this automatically for you (and your entire media collection)

Really it's pretty awesome biggrin.gif

Clearly this is the direction things are headed and this will only grow as time goes on. If your building today consider tomorrow.

-

post #105 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

Ahh something to look forward to then I guess. It's less than once a year I need movies/shows on the iPad.

I just want a big storage box. Too bad these cases on the HGST are such a PITA to open..... they'd be worth a bit of money with some of the smaller drives I have laying around.

post #106 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't mean to push you into anything only make you aware. Sounds like you'll survive fine without it.

-

post #107 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What changed?

It works fine for streaming to my devices within my network. Now, I want to access my server outside network, and this has become too much work for me to do. I think by using Windows it will be easier to do and set up.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #108 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got it...

biggrin.gif

Plex will do that for you.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #109 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Plex will do that for you.

Or the new media browser 3

-

post #110 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or the new media browser 3

I haven't tried Media Browser 3. I might give it a try.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #111 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Ahh something to look forward to then I guess. It's less than once a year I need movies/shows on the iPad.

I just want a big storage box. Too bad these cases on the HGST are such a PITA to open..... they'd be worth a bit of money with some of the smaller drives I have laying around.

Why not include those drives with your server pool of storage ? (one of advantages of Flexraid is you can even add them full of data on them)

-

post #112 of 166 Old 09-12-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I haven't tried Media Browser 3. I might give it a try.

It is still beta so no rush. But it's very much "plex like" in that is has a "server" program that runs on your server (runs very well on my WHS+FLEXRAID) and then a client that runs on your HTPC (and android or iOS biggrin.gif )

There is both a "MB3 Classic" (much like Mediabrowser 2) that works and installs inside of WMC (great if you do DVR with HDTV tuner cards) and a MB3 Theater (which is the new flagship product) that installs on it's own like XBMC and does not require WMC at all. The server client offers like PLEX offers both transcoding, and steaming up your media over internet to enjoy when your away from home. (Not possible with MB2 or XBMC)

The "Theater" product also has support for MadVR (high end upscaling), Reclock (perfect sync audio and video) and SVP (24fps->60fps frame upconversion) within the built in player so you can take advantage of the slick looking HD overlays without needing an external player like MPC-HC commonly used now with XBMC or MB2 to get this stuff or codec packs like window media player needs.

It's going to be a complete solution that offers simplicity, high end features, ios apple device and Android support- steaming over the internet when you are away, even transcoding resolutions for different devices and displays. Game Changer I think it will be- but too early to declare a winner. I would wait for the official release unless you like to tinker with beta's and pre-release.

References:

RE-CLOCK
The purpose of ReClock is to definitely get rid of jerky playback of AVI and MPEG material on a PC (or a HTPC driving a TV, a flat panel, or a video-projector). It's a DirectShow filter which is loaded in place of the default directsound audio renderer.
It provides a new reference clock that is locked to the video card hardware clock, in order to ensure that frames are played at the exact speed of what is expected by the video card vertical sync.
It also provides a frame rate adaptator for media files that do not match a multiple of the video card refresh rate (ex: playback of 23,976fps IVTC NTSC on a PAL TV).
The combination of the two will give you the true experience of smooth playback with your PC.
Finally it is an audio renderer with hardware or software rate adaptation in real-time, multi-channel audio, audio timestretching (pal speedup compensation) and dynamic range compression capabilities.
For a full description of ReClock, please read carefully the README file in the distribution. There is also a little FAQ at the bottom of the page that answers common questions.

SVP:
SVP allows you to watch any video on your PC file with frame interpolation (like you can watch it on high-end TVs and projectors). It increases frame rate by generating intermediate animation frames between existing ones to produce very smooth, fluid and clear motion. The technology is well-known for a while ("TrimensionDNM", "Motion Plus", "Motionflow" and others), but now it's available for free to PC users with simple GUI and just a couple of mouse clicks.

SVP provides GPU acceleration and it's possible to watch FullHD 1080p-video recalculated to 60Hz in real-time with mid-range CPU and almost any GPU hardware.

SVP actually is not a video player itself, but it enables almost any player to play smooth video.
Yeah, also in 3D smile.gif

MADVR
madVR is a high quality video renderer (GPU assisted) that can offer superior upscaling and picture quality, specifically when doing DVD>1080p, or even 720p>1080p or even 1080p>4k

Features of madVR

- high quality chroma upsampling
- high quality scaling (bicubic, mitchell, lanczos, spline etc)
- high quality YCbCr -> RGB conversion
- gamut & gamma correction for display calibration
- full 16bit processing queue
- final 16bit processing result is dithered down to RGB output bitdepth
- bypasses graphics card's video (damage) algorithms
- all work is done via GPU shaders
- no shortcuts, highest quality has priority over anything else

There is a good sticky at top of this forum on set up of MADVR with MPC-HC if you want to try it out now:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1357375/advanced-mpc-hc-setup-guide/0_100

You can run MadVR, Re-clock, and SVP all together if you wish.... or any combination you like. But using external players loses the advantage of HD overlay in XBMC or Mediabrowser2 or MB3 Classic, so having an all in one high end solution that is stand alone is going to be really nice when the MediaBrowser3 Theater flagship launches soon.

-

post #113 of 166 Old 09-14-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am getting 35-40 MB/s using anydvdHD.

Am I safe to assume there is no rip lock?

post #114 of 166 Old 09-14-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes. Initialize them as GPT and not MBR. Delete all partitions and format them as a single 4TB partition using windows standard NTFS defaults (for windows or WHS and not Unraid )
Don't under estimate how much of a PITA this is compared to a modern front end like PLEX or MB3 doing this automatically for you (and your entire media collection)

Really it's pretty awesome biggrin.gif

Clearly this is the direction things are headed and this will only grow as time goes on. If your building today consider tomorrow.

There is a preclear utility and I think that formats the drives as MBR.

I'm following the guide here-- http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Install_UnMENU

post #115 of 166 Old 09-14-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Holy sh*t this preclear process is LOOOONNNGGG

post #116 of 166 Old 09-14-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Holy sh*t this preclear process is LOOOONNNGGG

Yes it is. I usually preclear all the drives at once.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #117 of 166 Old 09-14-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As am I. Although I chose to do each drive separately vs. the other option of doing them all off one command line.

Just seemed easier to me. So what..... one drive is 1 percent behind the other.

At 40 percent after 4 hours, 6 beers, and a SSD that is now full of movie ISOs. I'm having to burn to my external drive which has slowed things to below 10 MB/s.

post #118 of 166 Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://t.costco.com/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&keyword=HDSEPTM&sortBy=PriceMax%7C1&EMID=B2C_2013_0916_877_Alex

Why is it the internal drives are more expensive?

And.... What happens to the warranty of the drives I ripped out of their cases. Cases that are impossible to split open without breaking.

post #119 of 166 Old 09-17-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

http://t.costco.com/CatalogSearch?langId=-1&storeId=10301&catalogId=10701&keyword=HDSEPTM&sortBy=PriceMax%7C1&EMID=B2C_2013_0916_877_Alex

And.... What happens to the warranty of the drives I ripped out of their cases. Cases that are impossible to split open without breaking.

By braking and taking the drives out of their case, you void the warranty.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #120 of 166 Old 09-17-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Lately, the externals have been cheaper since they may be using a lower quality HDD over the internal ones. Also the warranty may be lower.

As far as the warranty when opening the case, the actual warranty on the external product will be voided but I have discovered that if you just enter the serial number of the drive you will find that they will accept the bare drive for RMA...at least that what happened to me when one of my Hitachi drives died after I opened the case.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page