post #151 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

That's about 20 minutes to do the same on my Flexraid server (I do that exact process quite often )

The main difference is snapshot raid does not need to calculate parity on the fly when writing so my writes are about 105MB/sec pretty consistently. But then the snapshot runs and must update in order to get the protection of parity (I update ever 24 hours)
Well arent you the over achiever. wink.gif

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

I was going to build a WHS 2011 + FlexRaid server, but I decided against it after calculating the cost. Now, I am just going to replace the MOBO, CPU and RAM for my UnRaid server.

The cost should be about the same (hardware wise) The software is the only difference. Re-use what you have or would use for unraid and it should not cost too much.

If you want to build an additional flexraid server well... then yeah that's more $$ tongue.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #153 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Well arent you the over achiever. wink.gif

Any real time parity is going to be slower than snapshot. Flexraid has a "real time" mode too that is also slower, but I don't use for that reason. That is just how real time works.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #154 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

The cost should be about the same (hardware wise) The software is the only difference. Re-use what you have or would use for unraid and it should not cost too much.

If you want to build an additional flexraid server well... then yeah that's more $$ tongue.gif

I can't use what I've got. The files from my UnRaid hard drive aren't all in one drive. If for some reason or another the file doesn't fit in one drive, it will split the file. I will need to buy a new case, at least 5 2TB drives, another drive for the OS / FlexRaid SSD and pretty much I am looking to spending at least $600.

I was thinking of just waiting and buying everything one piece at a time, but I've got no idea how long that is going to take. So, for now I will use my UnRaid. Later on when funds are available, and after I've bought my 3 channel external amp for my HT then I will build another server biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #155 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

how much storage do you have ? (in your unraid server ) ??

-

post #156 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how much storage do you have ? (in your unraid server ) ??

Total 15 TB, being used after deleting a bunch of data 9.5TB being used.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #157 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Your best bet would be to purchase a 4TB external and move over 4TB worth. Build your flexraid server and use two of your 2TB drives now to start. Move the data over, then do it again, and once again. Then just add the 4TB to your flexraid pool (probably as your parity drive)

That way you can avoid the cost of buying drives, and only need the cost of the mobo, cpu etc.. (which you are going to do anyways it seems)

Or- you could buy all new drives- and then sell your old ones. It's tough building a server from scratch because HDD's are costly once you get serious about storage.

15TB means you need at least (3) 4TB drives and at least (5) 3TB drives do have enough room to copy everything over on a flexraid server. That is costly ($35 per TB) in just drives. The major reason I like flexraid is because it's so flexible and you can add drives with data on them- and drives are readable which makes server upgrades a breeze. Unraid, it's trickier to rebuild without data loss. You can reuse your drives in your new server- but you would have to buy at least 1 drive and then copy over each drive's stuff and then add it to your new server 1 drive at a time.

That might work well if you can wait for each drive to copy over....

-

post #158 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your best bet would be to purchase a 4TB external and move over 4TB worth. Build your flexraid server and use two of your 2TB drives now to start. Move the data over, then do it again, and once again. Then just add the 4TB to your flexraid pool (probably as your parity drive)

That way you can avoid the cost of buying drives, and only need the cost of the mobo, cpu etc.. (which you are going to do anyways it seems)

Or- you could buy all new drives- and then sell your old ones. It's tough building a server from scratch because HDD's are costly once you get serious about storage.

15TB means you need at least (3) 4TB drives and at least (5) 3TB drives do have enough room to copy everything over on a flexraid server. That is costly ($35 per TB) in just drives. The major reason I like flexraid is because it's so flexible and you can add drives with data on them- and drives are readable which makes server upgrades a breeze. Unraid, it's trickier to rebuild without data loss.

I'm just going to wait for now. I just finished installing a new cache drive, and re-installed Plex to the cache drive. I just finished re-scrapping all my movies and TV shows for Plex, and all my devices have been able to see it. Now, I just have to take my UnRaid server apart, and install all the new goodies. I've got to change the BIOS settings first though.biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #159 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

15TB means you need at least (3) 4TB drives and at least (5) 3TB drives do have enough room to copy everything over on a flexraid server. That is costly ($35 per TB) in just drives. The major reason I like flexraid is because it's so flexible and you can add drives with data on them- and drives are readable which makes server upgrades a breeze. Unraid, it's trickier to rebuild without data loss. You can reuse your drives in your new server- but you would have to buy at least 1 drive and then copy over each drive's stuff and then add it to your new server 1 drive at a time.

That might work well if you can wait for each drive to copy over....

You are such a pusher.......... lol

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #160 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't use what I've got. The files from my UnRaid hard drive aren't all in one drive. If for some reason or another the file doesn't fit in one drive, it will split the file.

This, so far, is my only complaint about unRAID. Setting up the shares and splits. I have a post over on the lime support forum RE: just this. Here's a link.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29496.0

If you set to split level two you won't end up with a video file on two different disks. I know that doesn't help much now, but FWIW.

I set my shares up as

Video
- bluray
-DVD
-TV

Various
-Pictures
-Documents
-New folders

Split level two, minimum disk space 60 GB.

post #161 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This, so far, is my only complaint about unRAID. Setting up the shares and splits. I have a post over on the lime support forum RE: just this. Here's a link.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=29496.0

If you set to split level two you won't end up with a video file on two different disks. I know that doesn't help much now, but FWIW.

I set my shares up as

Video
- bluray
-DVD
-TV

Various
-Pictures
-Documents
-New folders

Split level two, minimum disk space 60 GB.

I also did Split level 2, I don't recoale the minimum disk space though. I have them set up as follows, Movies and TV Shows. I don't really care for BD of DVD since the jukeboxes pretty much let me know what it is.biggrin.gif

Home Theater Set Up:

post #162 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also did Split level 2, I don't recoale the minimum disk space though. I have them set up as follows, Movies and TV Shows. I don't really care for BD of DVD since the jukeboxes pretty much let me know what it is.biggrin.gif

Great point! The Zappiti does the same, although you have to click on it to view the source. Now that I think about it I would separate like that for raw viewing on the server disks so juke box data wouldn't help me and me wants.

If you did split level 2 you should not have any one file split between to drives. At least that's how I understand it.

post #163 of 166 Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great point! The Zappiti does the same, although you have to click on it to view the source. Now that I think about it I would separate like that for raw viewing on the server disks so juke box data wouldn't help me and me wants.

If you did split level 2 you should not have any one file split between to drives. At least that's how I understand it.

Well, I have my minimum drive space set to 2000000. I don't use Zappiti anymore since it doesn't update, which movies I've watched, haven't watched, and it pretty much keeps adding all of my movies like if I just added them every time. I haven't uninstalled Zappiti or Yadis, but my jukebox of choice at the moment is 10 Muse with the iPad app. I also use Plex for the iPads and for streaming outside the network.

Home Theater Set Up:

post #164 of 166 Old 09-27-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think this thread is coming to an end. I'm pretty much up and running.

I wanted to thank all the guys who came on and helped me create what I've ended up. Even the forum server pusher........ Mfusick. biggrin.gif Seriously M- you actually helped quite a bit and I really appreciate it.

Gonna go add unRAID server box to my signature. biggrin.gif

post #165 of 166 Old 01-30-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Want to ask the guys on this thread about the ASRockd H77 Pro4/MVP that I bought.

It has the two SATA 3 ports that are ASrock, and then it has 6 chipset SATA ports. I'm having an issue in unRAID where assigning a cache drive to the ASrock SATA ports returns unstable and slow write times.

The only configuration change in BIOS for the ASRock ports is IDE and AHCI modes, or disabled. I left the default AHCI enabled.

I currently re-arranged the drives so the cache is on SATA 3 0, and the Parity on SATA 3 1, both chipset ports. That leaves four SATA 2 ports on the chipset side of things.

That also leave two SATA 3 ports on the ASRock side of things. Are these ASRock ports useable on unRaid or will they affect performance with data drives like they did with cache drives?

post #166 of 166 Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The above is an easy answer via Google. Use the ASRock ports last, and do not boot from them. smile.gif

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page