Know a reputable place to buy a HTPC? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 08-10-2013, 01:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Just update BIOS, you will be fine (download and save the latest BIOS in a USB memory, insert it, start the system, press F6 to enter ASRock Instant Flash utility).

H87 chipset is no good for a "K" chip nor DDR3-2400 SDRAM. Z87 is required to overclock K and support memory > 1600MHz.

Check also Samsung 840 EVO, the successor to 840, available soon (August 14th?). Benchmark.

450W is enough for your system. My favorite is Seasonic G-450 SSR-450RM 80 PLUS Gold.

Don't forget a better CPU cooler if you care about quietness. SilverStone NT01-PRO is designed for this case. Add 2 x 80mm PWM fan (e.g. ARCTIC F8 PWM, GELID Silent 8 PWM, Noctua NF-R8 PWM).

I built a system for a friend of mine using i5-4670 and GD06. He constantly complained about noise. I replaced the PSU fan (SilverStone Strider Plus 500W with a ADDA 2000rpm fan) with a 800rpm fan, then undervolted the three case fans with Zalman Fan Mate 2 and Phobya PH-81038 Y-Cable 3Pin Molex to 4x 3Pin Molex (now running @800rpm), then replaced the cooler with the above one. He is now very satisfied even at encoding. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 08-10-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

Thanks for the recommendations, Mfusik!

Question for you: going through Assassin's 'Customize your Prestige' page, he indicates that a Z87M motherboard will require a larger case than the default one (which is what you have selected here). Also, in the reviews for the Z87M there seems to be a lot of funky bios issues. Do you see any issues going with the H87M instead?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157384

And if so, does that change the ram?

Well I have the Extreme4 ATX version with a 4770k and I have no issues at all. I would not get the H series, I would stick with Z87. I like the Asrock Extreme4 obviously, but you could choose another board if you wanted. An Asus Z87 is probably most comparable. I've owned plenty of Asus boards with good luck too.

I think Z87 + 2400mhz is the way to go.

I am not sure what Assassin is talking about. If you buy a M-ATX motherboard and a M-ATX case there should be no problems at all. You could get a GD08 or any other Silverstone ATX case too... if you wanted. I just chose the M-ATX for no particularl reason, but going ATX instead would not be much different.

ReneTHX has some equally great advice. I tend to side with his judgement and taste on many issues. I agree with him that 450watts is enough. I gave you a couple options for PSU, with the Seasonic 500 watt being $89 and the 450watt Rosewill only $59- and something in between. The smaller Seasonic would also be in between and a nice choice. He has a nice point on the fan mod- to lower the noise. Sometimes I run them off motherboard headers and slow them down, set them so they only speed up when temps are high. Most times they should make much noise. Since you will be encoding- I think a fan controller or some other option might make sense. The cooler upgrade is a good choice for encoding and overclocking.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #33 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Just update BIOS, you will be fine (download and save the latest BIOS in a USB memory, insert it, start the system, press F6 to enter ASRock Instant Flash utility).

H87 chipset is no good for a "K" chip nor DDR3-2400 SDRAM. Z87 is required to overclock K and support memory > 1600MHz.

Check also Samsung 840 EVO, the successor to 840, available soon (August 14th?). Benchmark.

450W is enough for your system. My favorite is Seasonic G-450 SSR-450RM 80 PLUS Gold.

Don't forget a better CPU cooler if you care about quietness. SilverStone NT01-PRO is designed for this case. Add 2 x 80mm PWM fan (e.g. ARCTIC F8 PWM, GELID Silent 8 PWM, Noctua NF-R8 PWM).

I built a system for a friend of mine using i5-4670 and GD06. He constantly complained about noise. I replaced the PSU fan (SilverStone Strider Plus 500W with a ADDA 2000rpm fan) with a 800rpm fan, then undervolted the three case fans with Zalman Fan Mate 2 and Phobya PH-81038 Y-Cable 3Pin Molex to 4x 3Pin Molex (now running @800rpm), then replaced the cooler with the above one. He is now very satisfied even at encoding. smile.gif

Hmm, the Seasonic G-450 isn't available... quick question (changing topic): do I need thermal compound for that CPU cooler?
post #34 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you go aftermarket cooler it's good to get but many coolers come with it.

Usually you only buy some to upgrade from what it comes with.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #35 of 48 Old 08-11-2013, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hmm, the Seasonic G-450 isn't available... quick question (changing topic): do I need thermal compound for that CPU cooler?

Seasonic G-450 (SSR-450RM). Somehow if you search with the model name "G-450", you will never hit it.

Thermal compound comes with the retail box of NT01-PRO.
post #36 of 48 Old 08-12-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
good to see you're still around renthx. you've always had great recommendations. bout time for me to build another htpc or contract it out to someone.
post #37 of 48 Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I don't use the machine for DVR (or TV). At least not now - I have a Verizon Fios DVR. I have no idea what's involved to incorporate a TV Tuner/DVR into an HTPC and maybe I'll want to do it in the future - not sure.

If you already have HTPC, it takes 5-10 minutes (30 mins max) to set up CableCard tuner. Most of it will be spent with clueless CSR's trying to activate the CableCard. Luckily, Verizon allows you to do it from your account, without having to call anyone.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #38 of 48 Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 136
You can also get a barebones HTPC where most of the work is done for you and you just need to install RAM, SSD/HDD and your software. All the wiring, etc. is taken care of for you.

post #39 of 48 Old 08-12-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

If you already have HTPC, it takes 5-10 minutes (30 mins max) to set up CableCard tuner. Most of it will be spent with clueless CSR's trying to activate the CableCard. Luckily, Verizon allows you to do it from your account, without having to call anyone.

What is a cable card tuner - something like a PCI card you install that accepts a coax cable?
post #40 of 48 Old 08-12-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 208
There are 3 tuner options

-PCIe
-USB
-ethernet - it doesnt plug into the tv, it sits on the network

Your coaxial cable coming out of the wall that currently runs to your Fios box will instead connect to the tuner.

There are a few tuner types

-ATSC (for use with an antenna)
-QAM (for use with cable, but only likely to pick up local channels)
-cablecard (will allow access to all your cable channels). in addition to the coax cable coming out of the wall you will get a little card from Verizon that looks like the old laptop wifi adapter cards. this will also plug into the tuner.

Most of the HTPC frontends have live tv/dvr support. The only 100% guaranteed way of getting all your channels to work is to use Windows Media Center. Given that you have Verizon you have more options - you could use XBMC or JRiver. The reason you have more options that someone with Time Warner or Charter cable is in the way Verizon marks channels with DRM.

You will however lose On-Demand.
gonzo90017 likes this.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #41 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So I made an attempt to put build this puppy last night. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to remove the motherboard to affix the cooler (i.e. screws go in from underneath). And while I bought two 80mm fans I had no idea what to do with them so they didn't go in.

Also left the back panel of the motherboard (the casing around all the ports) for last which I learned the hard way is wrong but I don't think I'm going to disassemble everything to make right.
post #42 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #43 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Have you read my PM?

Yup, but only this morning (it arrived at 3am) and from what you said in it, it's too late.

I also didn't understand it but that's probably because I can't picture it in my head. For example, I now get that these two fans were related to CPU cooling (I had previously thought they were just case fans) but without seeing a picture of how they are supposed to be configured I'm sort of clueless.

I appreciate the effort you made though - thanks very much.

It took me several hours to build the machine (a bit of trial and error, a lot of time trying to digest instructions) but I haven't yet booted it up yet - that's my task for today. I'm downloading the ASrock bios update now.

In another thread someone warned to only have 1 stick of RAM in or there could be problems installing Windows...???

I'm not even sure I have the ram in the right place - the motherboard instructions were written as if someone already was familiar with building machines. I have them in the 1st and 3rd positions - sound right?
post #44 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be a bios update for the Z87M Extreme motherboard other than an overclocking formula.

renethx, am I missing something on this page?
http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?cat=BIOS
post #45 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

1.60 BIOS

The two memory modules should go to either A1 and B1, or A2 and B2. This is to make memory work in dual channel mode. A = channel A, B = channel B. The combination A1+A2 or B1+B2 will result in single channel mode (half the performance of dual channel mode). A1+B2 or A2+B1 may work in dual channel mode, but ASRock does not recommend it.

You can install OS with a single memory module or two modules or three or four, it doesn't matter.

Look at the fan installation instruction. Step 1:

This is the wrong starting point. Don't attach anything to the bracket. Proceed immediately to Step 2. Use plastic padding when you attach the fan to the heatsink.
post #46 of 48 Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How are you doing OP ?

-

post #47 of 48 Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

How are you doing OP ?

Well, I'm glad you asked. :-)

A friend of mine showed up last night and he had more experience building PCs than I and checked over my work. We spent some time trying to figure out how we could get the 2 80mm fans that renethx suggested fastened onto the heatsink. To do this, we disassembled the entire machine. We still couldn't figure it out and we gave up, but we noticed a very bad boo-boo on my part - I forgot to remove the plastic film off the heat sink (so it was between the thermal grease and the heatsink negating its performance). Doh!

When we re-assembled everything (including re-seating the CPU) we got a nice surprise - both sticks of RAM worked! At least at 1600 - switching it up to 2400 resulted in only 1 stick showing up. So we went back to 1600 and considered ourselves fortunate. The replacement ram came today from Amazon but I didn't bother with it.

Loaded up Windows fine and spent the better part of the day updating drivers. Had a heck of a time trying to get the machine to output audio through HDMI but that's now solved.

I'm left with two rather annoying issues:

1) When I load up Plex the upper right of the home screen is all garbled - like part of the skin is corrupted (I can change to another skin and its fine). But I've re-installed a couple different versions of Plex and all exhibit this behavior (and they work fine on all other PCs) so I'm perplexed.

2) I can't play movies @ 24fps or I get no sound. I'm stumped on this one.
post #48 of 48 Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The no sound for 24p think is most likely reclock or some other filter not set up properly or changing up your settings.

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page