How to calibrate video output of HTPC? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since I built a new HTPC I haven't been able to get 24fps to work, but since it also looked great at 60fps and 24fps required a long HDMI handshake going back and forth between the movie and Mediabrowser I gave up.

Thanks for the additional info, I'll try setting up a keyboard shortcut and do the test.

Quick question: For Smooth Motion, I currently have it set to "Only if there would be judder without it". Is this the correct setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 09-24-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Yes, that's the recommended setting if you want to use this feature.
post #33 of 40 Old 09-24-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Going back to the subject of calibration, I recently bought a calibration device because I have a new digital SLR camera and started using Photoshop. I want my monitor to show how my prints will look.

I am using a Datacolor Spyder4Elite, ($250), on my Auria EQ276W monitor and the added Spyder4TV HD upgrade, ($70), for my five year old Panasonic Plasma. There are other devices that do the same thing.

I have greatly improved my picture quality on both my plasma and monitor. However, the directions for the Spyder are sparse. There is a learning curve. And I am still trying to figure out the base color temperature of the monitor before starting calibration.

However, for anyone who would find the picture quality improvement worth $250 to $330 for monitor and TV this is a useful calibration method.

I am not enough of an expert to say that there are not less expensive software solutions that will get you to the same place.
post #34 of 40 Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 110
If money is no object, I'd recommend the i1 Display 3 Pro meter for calibration. It's the best value meter there is atm, IMHO, and it's supported by all the current HTPC calibration packages out there. However, there are 2 different versions, and LightSpace CMS only supports the OEM version, while all other calibration solutions support both the OEM and the Retail versions. Calibration is currently still a bit painful for video playback. Hopefully I can help improve that in the near future for madVR users...
post #35 of 40 Old 09-24-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is a link to a recent Tom's Hardware article on monitor calibration:
Color Meters 101
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/spyder4-monitor-calibration-image-quality,3581-2.html
post #36 of 40 Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Color Meters 101
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/spyder4-monitor-calibration-image-quality,3581-2.html

Hey thanks for this link ^ biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #37 of 40 Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post

Color Meters 101

That is an extremely misleading and an over simplifying article. It doesn't really deal with video and it does not deal with lack of linearity you find in most TV type displays.. Go to the Display calibration forum. The Spyder meters are not very well regarded... Setting colors at one intensity or saturation level provides no assurance it is right at the others.

Just another blank signature.
post #38 of 40 Old 09-28-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The article states that Tomsharware.com intends to publish a series. They have just started. I have not seen the second part yet.

There are a number of Spyder models and the Spyder4Elite is the latest and greatest. Reviews may have been of older models. Cost wise it is inexpensive and may be better than not using a meter for some people who do not want to spend more, deal with more complexity or pay someone else to do a calibration.

It is the first and only meter I have ever used. My calibration with the Spyder4Elite produced clearly better movies and video on my plasma and monitor than I could get using the Windows 7 calibration routine without the meter IMO. As I said the meter was recommended in my Photoshop manual and I got it for digital photography.

However, I value to opinions of others, many of whom have more knowledge and experience that I have. It would be a good idea for anyone interested in getting a meter to read up in the Display calibration forum.

I really just posted in response to madshi thinking he might look at the Tomshardware article and comment.
post #39 of 40 Old 09-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I can't tell a difference either.

Many can though.

Then again, most of us don't have a $33,000 projector like the OP.

post #40 of 40 Old 10-22-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Display calibration 201: The Science Behind Tuning Your monitor has been posted for those who want to continue to read this series: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/calibrate-your-monitor-theory,3615.html
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page