Any guides to the physical building of a PC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2013, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've built a PC years ago following some step by step guide which I no longer have (plus, it would be out of date).

I've just received all the parts to build my HTPC and am going to give it a go, but would love to find some great step-by-step guide to building it.

I thought Assassin had one on his site, but if he does, I can't find it.

Anyone know of one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 68

Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Don't be too afraid to just roll up the sleeves on computer building. There are some good to know tweaks (12V fan mod), but the basics aren't easy to put into a guide. Some HTPC cases almost require you to mount your hdds and run the sata connections to your motherboard before seating your CPU (unless you have tiny hands)

Basics
  • Install motherboard standoffs to your case
  • mount drives (3.5 and 5.25) - also connect sata cables to motherboard
  • seat cpu and cpu cooler
  • install ram (snaps in)
  • install Graphics card (if applicable)
  • connect case power/reset buttons (and lights if you wish) - You usually have to open the mobo manual to determine where they should connect
  • connect case ports, USB, SD, firewire, etc (if applicable and/or you want to)

I usually do power last
  • Connect 24 pin to motherboard
  • Connect 8 pin to motherboard near cpu
  • Connect sata power cables to HDDs, SSDs, and ODD
  • Connect PCI power cable to graphics card (if applicable)
  • Connect molex cables to case fans

Some case fans power off the motherboard, it typically doesn't matter where. The cpu cooler fan typically should go to the 3/4 pin connector near CPU. 4 pin motherboard connections offer speed control, but if your motherboard only has 3pin connections it doesn't matter whether you end up powering those from the motherboard or PSU (since in that case neither offer variable fan speed control)
Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post

That guide is a buying guide by the looks of it; the second page has Part II: Assembly but the posts are empty (reserved for future editing).
Old 08-15-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Don't be too afraid to just roll up the sleeves on computer building. There are some good to know tweaks (12V fan mod), but the basics aren't easy to put into a guide. Some HTPC cases almost require you to mount your hdds and run the sata connections to your motherboard before seating your CPU (unless you have tiny hands)

Basics
  • Install motherboard standoffs to your case
  • mount drives (3.5 and 5.25) - also connect sata cables to motherboard
  • seat cpu and cpu cooler
  • install ram (snaps in)
  • install Graphics card (if applicable)
  • connect case power/reset buttons (and lights if you wish) - You usually have to open the mobo manual to determine where they should connect
  • connect case ports, USB, SD, firewire, etc (if applicable and/or you want to)

I usually do power last
  • Connect 24 pin to motherboard
  • Connect 8 pin to motherboard near cpu
  • Connect sata power cables to HDDs, SSDs, and ODD
  • Connect PCI power cable to graphics card (if applicable)
  • Connect molex cables to case fans

Some case fans power off the motherboard, it typically doesn't matter where. The cpu cooler fan typically should go to the 3/4 pin connector near CPU. 4 pin motherboard connections offer speed control, but if your motherboard only has 3pin connections it doesn't matter whether you end up powering those from the motherboard or PSU (since in that case neither offer variable fan speed control)

Thank you very much. I'm giving it a go now.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 287

Here's one Assassin mentions:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 241
There are a ton of great guides and youtube videos out there on how to build a PC.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 267
If you built a PC a few years ago then it won't be much different today.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:15 PM

Liked: 15
most if not all motherboards have assembly instructions included in the box, also the bios setup pages in the manual, if all parts were correctly chosen and are completely compatible it makes it super easy, 1 thing to watch out for is to set the chosen hard drive to AHCI before loading windows to the drive, only use 1 stick of ram and only 1 hard drive connected during windows setup otherwise windows will write files to the 2 hard drive, check the motherboard bios version first against the processor you have chosen to insure it is supported can eliminate many startup and loading issues as well.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

most if not all motherboards have assembly instructions included in the box, also the bios setup pages in the manual, if all parts were correctly chosen and are completely compatible it makes it super easy, 1 thing to watch out for is to set the chosen hard drive to AHCI before loading windows to the drive, only use 1 stick of ram and only 1 hard drive connected during windows setup otherwise windows will write files to the 2 hard drive, check the motherboard bios version first against the processor you have chosen to insure it is supported can eliminate many startup and loading issues as well.

Thanks for the help, but I'm confused. I only have one hard drive (ssd) but I do have 2 sticks of RAM. Why only use one???
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
2 memory sticks is OK. But you'd better attach only one disk drive to avoid confusion, otherwise you may install OS not in SSD but in HDD by accident (although you can avoid this easily by looking at the disk size).
Old 08-16-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

So I finally turned it on and it doesn't work. :-(

I don't get any video and after a while the unit powers down and starts up again on its own, repeating this cycle.

I've tried both analog and digital cables to two different monitors just to rule out something simple.

Since I'm using on board graphics, does this point to the motherboard being bad - or could it be something else like the CPU?

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Make sure:

1. The memory is installed
2. The 4-pin power to the CPU is plugged in
Polemides likes this.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Liked: 12
Check the power connections to your mobo. Check the power to your discrete graphics card if you have one.

Check the seating of your RAM sticks, try to swap those out if you have any others lying around.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

OK, in this case it's worth trying a single stick. smile.gif Remove all components from the mb and clear CMOS (check your mb manual how to clear CMOS)

1. Attach CPU carefully to the mb socket.
2. Attach the CPU cooler. You'd better use the stock one until everything is running fine. (Wipe thermal compound on the CPU heat spreader with tissue paper and attach the stock cooler; the stock cooler has already thermal compound preapplied .) Don't forget to connect the fan to CPU fan connector of the mb
3. Attach one stick of memory (to any slot). Make sure it be seated firmly.
4. Attach the mb to the case.
5. Attach the main power connector and the CPU power connector.
6. Connect display, mouse and keyboard.
7. Power on. See what happens
Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 69
That symptom is pretty typical of a memory problem. It could mean bad memory or the RAM might not be compatible with the motherboard. Have you tried with just one stick of RAM? Try all RAM slots in turn.

A system I built last week refused to POST with RAM in either of the first two slots. The other two slots were fine. I had fumbled and dropped the CPU onto the open socket when installing it. That was enough to damage a couple of the pins in the socket and break the connection between the on-die memory controller and the first two RAM sockets. Fortunately I could live with just two functioning RAM slots...

Finally, are you sure your motherboard supports your processor? E.g. an 1155 board released before Ivy Bridge may need to have its bios updated to support IB CPUs.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

Make sure:

1. The memory is installed
2. The 4-pin power to the CPU is plugged in

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

4-pin power looked to be in but I guess it wasn't in all the way. Man I am relieved!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 146
You're welcome. I probably build half-a-dozen systems per week and I still sometimes forget to do one of the two and get to enjoy that momentary sinking feeling before I realize I've forgotten something.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, I have another issue (or possibly 2..):

Only 1 stick of RAM is being recognized (in slot B2). It's not recognized in A2 or A1, but it *IS* recognized in B1 (the latter being not desirable as it results in single channel memory mode).

I though the ram was bad until I tried B1... thoughts?

Also my CPU temperature is around 65 degrees - but my case is open. Should I be concerned?

Thanks again in advance.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Currie View Post

OK, I have another issue (or possibly 2..):

Only 1 stick of RAM is being recognized (in slot B2). It's not recognized in A2 or A1, but it *IS* recognized in B1 (the latter being not desirable as it results in single channel memory mode).

I though the ram was bad until I tried B1... thoughts?

Also my CPU temperature is around 65 degrees - but my case is open. Should I be concerned?

Thanks again in advance.

My guess is bad or incompatible RAM. I had similar symptoms/issues with a set I bought recently, one would work only in one slot, and even then not every time, messed around with timing settings in the BIOS, no luck ....tried another brand and everything was fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:57 AM

set optimized defaults in bios, then restart, memory showing up now, in the other slots as well ?

if not what bios version is listed at POST, did you check the mobo bios support page to make sure your processor IS supported by the current bios version.

post links to
mobo
memory
cpu
Old 08-16-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

set optimized defaults in bios, then restart, memory showing up now, in the other slots as well ?

if not what bios version is listed at POST, did you check the mobo bios support page to make sure your processor IS supported by the current bios version.

post links to
mobo
memory
cpu

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157373

Memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231587

CPU:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO8TBQ0/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I flashed the bios (was 1.20) to 1.60.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:19 PM

G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-8GTX is not on the memory support list here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87M%20Extreme4/?cat=Memory, also it is OC Memory which can be difficult to get a sys started and windows loaded with.

from egg of you board: " Memory Standard DDR3 2800+(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 ", so all 1866 memory and above/higher is OC memory spec, got any Kingston value ram in 1600/1333/1066 ? or any non oc ram in slower speeds to get the system loaded with and set OC latter ?, cause memory is very likely your problem atm.

you proc is supported since mobo release.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Make sure to select "XMP" profile in BIOS setup > OC Tweaker and select memory speed DDR3-1600. Save (press F10) and shutdown. Add two modules and see if it works. If worked, select DDR3-2400 in BIOS, save and restart and see if it works.

DDR3-1600 should work with SPD timings. Higher clocks may be difficult without XMP profile.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

If you built a PC a few years ago then it won't be much different today.

This.

If you have done it before you should be ok. You can ask here with specific questions.

I find using a mobile phone to post a picture is pretty easy on AVS mobile

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-16-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Make sure to select "XMP" profile in BIOS setup > OC Tweaker and select memory speed DDR3-1600. Save (press F10) and shutdown. Add two modules and see if it works. If worked, select DDR3-2400 in BIOS, save and restart and see if it works.

DDR3-1600 should work with SPD timings. Higher clocks may be difficult without XMP profile.

There are two XMP profiles, both set to 2400. As to which it was using, it was set to AUTO. I can change it to use a specific profile but I don't see any way to change the contents of the profile.

That said, it reports that the memory speed *IS* 1600...
Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

G.SKILL F3-2400C10D-8GTX is not on the memory support list here http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87M%20Extreme4/?cat=Memory, also it is OC Memory which can be difficult to get a sys started and windows loaded with.

from egg of you board: " Memory Standard DDR3 2800+(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 ", so all 1866 memory and above/higher is OC memory spec, got any Kingston value ram in 1600/1333/1066 ? or any non oc ram in slower speeds to get the system loaded with and set OC latter ?, cause memory is very likely your problem atm.

you proc is supported since mobo release.

I guess I can overnight some from Amazon.

So nobody thinks that the A channel on the motherboard may be bad? Both sticks load fine in channel B but neither of them work in channel A (I've switched around and re-seated many times).
Old 08-16-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

There are two XMP profiles, both set to 2400. As to which it was using, it was set to AUTO. I can change it to use a specific profile but I don't see any way to change the contents of the profile.

That said, it reports that the memory speed *IS* 1600...

Select "XMP 1.3 Profile 1". Load XMP Settings: "Auto" is a wrong choice. Then select DRAM Frequency: "DDR3-1600". Don't change any other setting. "Profile" is a set of timings determined by the memory manufacturer for each clock (1866, 2133, 2400) that guarantees the memory works at 1866MHz, 2133MHz, 2400MHz respectively.

Your mb could be defective. But unless you have the same problem with another memory module, you can't say so.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:

I guess I can overnight some from Amazon.

So nobody thinks that the A channel on the motherboard may be bad? Both sticks load fine in channel B but neither of them work in channel A (I've switched around and re-seated many times).

Asrock boards are supposed to use channel b for only 2 sticks.

Use slots 2 and 4 for running 8GB with 2x4GB sticks. This is how you do it. It is not recommended to use slot A or slots #1 and #3 for dual channel with only 2 sticks. The only time you should use slots 1 and 3 is if you have 4 sticks of memory installed.

Hope this helps.

PS: I believe this is because there is a shorter distance from the contacts that way.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Select "XMP 1.3 Profile 1". Load XMP Settings: "Auto" is a wrong choice. Then select DRAM Frequency: "DDR3-1600". Don't change any other setting. "Profile" is a set of timings determined by the memory manufacturer for each clock (1866, 2133, 2400) that guarantees the memory works at 1866MHz, 2133MHz, 2400MHz respectively.

Your mb could be defective. But unless you have the same problem with another memory module, you can't say so.

Yeah, that's what it's set to now and problem persists.

I ordered ram and will try tomorrow.

In the meantime, can I go ahead and install Windows (either using the one 4GB stick or both in single channel mode) so that I can continue to make progress? Even if I have to replace the motherboard it won't invalidate my Windows install, will it?