Ceton InfiniTV6 PCI-e version now available - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 118
It's now posted on Amazon ($299) and Newegg ($294) and appears to be in stock with free shipping from both vendors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D97B9BU/?tag=vglnk-c1247-20

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815706005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I want an HDHR prime with 6 tuners....with transcoding support....tongue.gif
post #3 of 12 Old 08-16-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So buy one, smartass.tongue.gif
post #4 of 12 Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

er...er.... it doesn't exist?tongue.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The six tuner model does. It's been around for quite some time,although I believe it was recently discontinued as SiliconDust will be coming out with a 4-tuner model sometime soon. You'll have to deal with transcoding on your own, although It's beyond me why anyone would want to do it in the first place. I suppose you're one of those kids that likes to watch videos on a smartphone or a tablet.

FWIW, I've been using both the HDHR Prime and the InfiniTV4 tuners for a couple of years and I prefer the Ceton PCI-e tuners by a wide margin. Then again, it all depends on how you want to use them.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

The six tuner model does. It's been around for quite some time,although I believe it was recently discontinued as SiliconDust will be coming out with a 4-tuner model sometime soon. You'll have to deal with transcoding on your own, although It's beyond me why anyone would want to do it in the first place. I suppose you're one of those kids that likes to watch videos on a smartphone or a tablet.

FWIW, I've been using both the HDHR Prime and the InfiniTV4 tuners for a couple of years and I prefer the Ceton PCI-e tuners by a wide margin. Then again, it all depends on how you want to use them.

I realize that, and I was being a lil flip, I guess.smile.gif

There's one (and one only) reason for transcoding support in the tuner itself. DTCP-IP. Unless transcoding software(s) start supporting that......
post #7 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I wonder if this tuner runs cooler (due to better design, newer chips, etc) than the 4 tuner version. It still does not have a fan on it and I felt mine needed one.

I have the Eth6 currently and it is sitting on a laptop cooler (along with my switch). Keeps it in the mid 40s all the time and looks better than having a fan blowing down into it. smile.gif
post #8 of 12 Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I have both myself, but currently only using the HDHR Prime. What is the advantage to the Ceton PCI-e tuner?

thanks..
post #9 of 12 Old 08-18-2013, 06:06 AM

Liked: 147
The PCIe tuner is internal to your box so you do not have other devices sitting around. It does not need a seperate power supply either. When you reboot your PC, it also gets rebooted (both a plus and a con). It is not better, just different.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyTV View Post

I have both myself, but currently only using the HDHR Prime. What is the advantage to the Ceton PCI-e tuner?

thanks..
I should revise my previous statement to say that I prefer the Ceton PCI-e tuners by a slight margin and not a wide one as I previously overstated. I used to get the "Tuner not available" error occasionally with the HDHR Prime, but never with the Ceton. I haven't seen it in a while so the current firmware and drivers probably fixed the issue.

I use the Ceton tuners ( I have two InfiniTV4's in my primary HTPC) for recording shows and the HDHR Prime tuners for feeding live TV to other PCs. I do have a minor pet peeve with the HDHR Prime. I've found that every time I rerun WMC TV signal setup I have to go into each channel I record and change the tuner priority because it tends to put the HDHR tuners at the top of the list for some reason. I like to keep the HDHR Prime tuners freed up for use by my other HTPCs since they don't have internal tuners.
post #11 of 12 Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I should revise my previous statement to say that I prefer the Ceton PCI-e tuners by a slight margin and not a wide one as I previously overstated. I used to get the "Tuner not available" error occasionally with the HDHR Prime, but never with the Ceton. I haven't seen it in a while so the current firmware and drivers probably fixed the issue.

I use the Ceton tuners ( I have two InfiniTV4's in my primary HTPC) for recording shows and the HDHR Prime tuners for feeding live TV to other PCs. I do have a minor pet peeve with the HDHR Prime. I've found that every time I rerun WMC TV signal setup I have to go into each channel I record and change the tuner priority because it tends to put the HDHR tuners at the top of the list for some reason. I like to keep the HDHR Prime tuners freed up for use by my other HTPCs since they don't have internal tuners.

thank you for your reply!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapone View Post

I realize that, and I was being a lil flip, I guess.smile.gif

There's one (and one only) reason for transcoding support in the tuner itself. DTCP-IP. Unless transcoding software(s) start supporting that......

Never going to happen, as it would require CableLabs approval due to DTCP.

A protected stream cannot be intercepted without the encryption keys.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page