Bluray disc or ripped which is better? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Is there any dif in sound or video quality between watching a Bluray movie straight from the disc or watching one that is ripped to the HDD? I am talking about a lossless rip. I am thinking that a hdd might give better performance over a Bluray player. What are your thoughts?

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 205
There wouldn't be any difference. It's the same data going through the PC's GPU.
ellisr63, Osirus23 and Polemides like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #3 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What I am thinking is the stability of the drive speed.... sorta like the old days of turntables. I was thinking maybe a HDD would be more consistent in transferring the data.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs, (2) Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000us SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Yamaha P7000s (for the subs), (2) Yamaha P2500s amps for the front (3) bass bins.
post #4 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
In a system with the parts all working correctly, the I/O speed necessary to play a Blu-ray will be achieved by either and there will be no difference in quality since it's digital data. It can either read it or it cannot.

Likely, since both can read faster than the playback speed, the software will even read ahead and buffer in memory.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are many in the audiophile community who feel that the sound quality of a ripped cd sounds better than the actual cd itself - more like the master tape. I have found this to be true - the ripped cd played from the hdd sounds better - I have done a/b comparisons. You would think the same would apply to at least the audio from a dvd or blu-ray. I will compare and report back.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post

There are many in the audiophile community who feel that the sound quality of a ripped cd sounds better than the actual cd itself - more like the master tape. I have found this to be true - the ripped cd played from the hdd sounds better - I have done a/b comparisons. You would think the same would apply to at least the audio from a dvd or blu-ray. I will compare and report back.

I could believe that if somehow the optical drive were somehow causing electronic interference on the analog side while the HDD doesn't, assuming the DAC is happening in the PC. Otherwise, the same 1s and 0s should produce the same analog output when using the same DAC.

With a Blu-ray, the DAC is likely to happen outside the PC in the audio receiver, at least in the case of HD audio bitstreaming. I would find it very difficult to believe that digital data, regardless of source, would sound different in that scenario where the DAC is isolated from the source like that.

post #7 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

This is - to use a simple phrase - utter nonsense as it technically makes no sense what so ever.
I recommend educating yourself on how digital is different from analog and therefore the physical storage media is completely irrelevant.

Simply put, a word document doesn't look "better" or has more sophisticated content depending if you read it from a hard disc, USB stick, or a CD.
post #8 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by newirishman View Post

Simply put, a word document doesn't look "better" or has more sophisticated content depending if you read it from a hard disc, USB stick, or a CD.

So you're telling me in college I didn't have to turn in all my papers on BluRay discs?
post #9 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel14 View Post

So you're telling me in college I didn't have to turn in all my papers on BluRay discs?

Only if you wrote them using laTex. Makes a huge difference to the compilation process. Much smoother.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Audiophiles are notoriously "suggestable".

For example, believing that high $$ power cords improve the sound of amplifiers (when those amps have huge toroidal transformers and capacitors inside that supply the amp with all the reserve power, and the power cord just "tops it off"), and the fact that the house is powered by 12 gauge romex wire, but the last 12-36 inches of power cable "really makes a difference"?

You say you have done a/b comparisons...have you done BLIND a/b comparisons? (where you didn't know which method was playing)
post #11 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I better mark this thread...I have a feeling it's going to get really ugly in here smile.gif

P.S. I don't care either way, I rip my blu-rays to the server for the convenience of not having to get up and find one when I want to watch it. If it looked or sounded a little bit better one way or the other, that wouldn't amount to a "hill of beans" to me.
ellisr63 likes this.

post #12 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I could believe that if somehow the optical drive were somehow causing electronic interference on the analog side while the HDD doesn't, assuming the DAC is happening in the PC. Otherwise, the same 1s and 0s should produce the same analog output when using the same DAC.

With a Blu-ray, the DAC is likely to happen outside the PC in the audio receiver, at least in the case of HD audio bitstreaming. I would find it very difficult to believe that digital data, regardless of source, would sound different in that scenario where the DAC is isolated from the source like that.
actually its much simpler than that...
Audio CD's don't inherently use any real error correction, the audio CD format came along well before computer cd-roms came along... it is quite possible for audio played from a CD to have up to a 10% BER and still be 'in spec'.
now say you rip that audio CD with dbpoweramp/EAC/or the like, they will rip and rerip until they get the exact audio off the CD and look up the checksum online just to triple check they got the correct bits off the cd...

once the file is ripped, computers tend to treat their bits with a bit more respect than your average CD player... so you will consistently get 0% BER.

so it is possible that ripped music could be 'more perfect' than that from CD... I have no clue if you could actually hear the difference or not, I would guess not since when they originally came out with the Audio CD spec they felt up to 10% BER was perfectly acceptable, but as far as CD's go (and this only applies to Audio CD's) there could be a difference.

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #13 of 16 Old 08-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Jitter
ellisr63 likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-18-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Which looks better on your system? There are differences between the playback codecs, the physical interfaces (jitter), and what's actually doing the "final"  decoding.

At one point in time you could get some DVD players modified to deliver content over SDI (serial digital interface) to an SDI capable video processor. That combination was not snake oil. It was <expletive deleted> amazing.

At this point in time, I would put my money on streaming rips. The HDMI interface to your display device is what it is. You can do a lot more in S/W than H/W to tweak it.

ellisr63 likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM

Liked: 148
It depends on how many torrents you are serving up from that save HDD while your kids view your pron stash at the same time you are trying to watch a move from it.

wink.gif
ellisr63 likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-18-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

It depends on how many torrents you are serving up from that save HDD while your kids view your pron stash at the same time you are trying to watch a move from it.

wink.gif
LOL

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page