Pc is sending lpcm audio while gaming, cant figure out what to do - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-16-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Problem:

DTS and DD5.1 work fine during movies and tv shows and when doing the sound test within windows. When playing games with DTS or DD5.1 my receiver shows lpcm and will not play DTS or DD. I only get 2 channel audio. My receiver doesn't do lpcm surround and doesn't have hdmi.

Details of my setup:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Sapphire HD 7870 XT (Latest beta driver installed and have tried others)
ASRock 970 Extreme 4 MoBo (Realtek) (Latest Bios)
AMD FX8320 Processor
Plenty of ram
Sony EX500 HDTV
Samsung SSD
Samsung Receiver (Old non-hdmi, Optical only) (Supports DTS, DTSES, DDEX, DD5.1)

I've tried running hdmi like this: PC HDMI from my 7870 --> TV and then running my Optical cable from the TV's Optical-out to the receiver. This only gets me LPCM audio during games, it wont send DD or DTS to my receiver since my receiver doesn't do LPCM Surround sound. It's only 2 channels. Now, that exact setup works perfectly with all my other devices, DVD, Xbox 360, WDTV etc, but the pc insists on outputting PCM.

I have also tried this setup: Direct connection via optical cable from my MoBo to my Receiver. Same as above though, LPCM audio.

Any ideas? I built this pc months ago and have not been able to figure this out. I really want surround while playing games. I mainly play on Steam, but have tried Origin and also use Ubi's thing. All with the same result. Thanks for reading and any help you can offer! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-16-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 261
PC games don't output in Dolby Digital or DTS, PCM only. Very few PC gamers need Dolby digital in PC games especially now that we have hdmi.
You can buy a sound card that can convert PCM to Dolby digital through optical. The feature is called Dolby digital live or DTS interactive which is the DTS version.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 63
lpcm is actually better than bitstreaming dtshd and ddtruehd (one less DAC to use at the receiver) i guess i don't see how your receiver doesn't support surround lpcm as its an analog surround sound natively. if in fact it can't do lpcm 5.1+ then get a new receiver, you'll appreciate it more.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Games will output 5.1 LPCMs channels. That is 6 channels of LPCM. Optical connections can support 2 channels of LPCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. The question is how do you get the 5.1 channels of PCM into you Surround System. You could hook the six line outputs from you computer to you surround receiver. Or you could encode the 5.1 channels of PCM into Dolby Digital 5.1 using Dolby Digital Live encoder. You will need a sound card, etc. that supports Dolby Digital Live. Go to www.creative.com.

Bruce.in.Triangle NC
Firewire is alive and kicking!
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page