Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have tried the instructions on this webpage:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11614/startup-customizations-for-media-center-in-windows-7/

they work only if you've already booted up into windows and then boot into windows media center. it does NOT work on startup. My HTPC boots directly into media center on startup and I want it to show me the tv guide as soon as it does. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
http://www.missingremote.com/guide/unlock-hidden-startup-switches-windows7-and-make-mce-start-your-way

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/24692-windows-media-center-start-up-customize.html
Rew452 likes this.

post #3 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I've tried each of those suggestions already. none of them work WHEN you're booting directly into wmc. modifying the target with switches only works when you've booted to desktop, then gone into WMC once, closed it, then opened it again. This is why I was asking for what registry value I should be changing, if there is even one to change
post #4 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 230
It is not a simple registry value change. On the same site (missing remote) search for a WMC plugin called Valve or something like that. You need to install the plug-in. Then use its settings app to change the behavior for each WMC login session. If that doesn't work, you are SOL.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry. I use it every day as a startup sequence in my H-900 to load LiveTV on the start of the sequence but I also don't turn my HTPC off so it isn't booting up when I do it.

post #6 of 13 Old 08-19-2013, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you for chiming in, I figured there was no way to do it directly. See my mac mini is inside a a/v cabinet under the tv. I typically just leave the doors open while the mac mini is running but when i'm done for the night I just shut it off instead of sleeping it. I've had some random issues with it waking up and doing funky things so its much easier just to turn it off. Anyway that's why I cant run a macro, but thanks for the input. I suppose I can live with it.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 03:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 137
If you've got a universal remote that's programmed for a Media Center PC then all you need to do is press the Guide button to get there. I assume that you'll be picking up the remote to navigate through the guide anyway so why would you need it to be fully automated so that the guide gets displayed upon bootup? No offense, but that's a bit beyond being lazy.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

its not about being lazy and more about customizing it to my tastes. I want to be able to get to the guide on startup, thats the first thing I want to see. This whole forum is about tweaking and customizing and getting a HTPC to work the way you want it to.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It is not a simple registry value change. On the same site (missing remote) search for a WMC plugin called Valve or something like that. You need to install the plug-in. Then use its settings app to change the behavior for each WMC login session. If that doesn't work, you are SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

its not about being lazy and more about customizing it to my tastes. I want to be able to get to the guide on startup, thats the first thing I want to see. This whole forum is about tweaking and customizing and getting a HTPC to work the way you want it to.

I was actually looking for this yesterday and wasn't sure what it was called. I think that this is what you want to try. I have not used it but I know that Michael as a very good programmer from on-line chats I've had with him and using some of the other plug-ins on his page. He's been busy with real life and hasn't had time to update some of these so they are what they are at this time. Here's what it does:
Quote:
Title : Media Center | Start Menu Plus
Author : Michael Welter
aka Mikinho
Url : http://www.mikinho.com/wmc/start-menu-plus/
Version : 1.2

v1.2
===============================

- Added: Option to launch entry point at startup. Note: ~8 second delay. Can be configured per machine or per user.

v1.1
===============================

- Changed: Screensaver visible to Extenders
- Added: Screensave to "Extra" list

post #10 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 370
This particular utility completely borked my media center, requiring a full uninstall/re-install. I'm sure it works fine for some though, so just be careful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

I'm curious as to why you'd want to have to boot up all the time. Most people leave their HTPCs on 24/7. The ones that don't usually put it to sleep.

I could be wrong, but I believe there's a setting in WMC where you can specify what screen you want WMC to display upon startup. I don't recall if the guide is one of the options, but it's worth looking into if that's what you really want.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Out8thisSN, how exactly are you booting directly into WMC? If you disable however you are currently launching WMC, create a shortcut such as http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/198220-windows-media-center-tv-guide-create-shortcut.html and add that to your Startup Folder it should work, no? This way you can add all the other WMC launch tweaks you want in one place.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Starsky, that is a very interesting link, i'm gonna have to try that out.

as to why I always shutdown my media center: I have a mac mini in the top shelf of this:

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/products/details/ead91e1f-e0a9-198a-8863-5125e3b083c1

and I prefer to have the doors closed when not in use, so having a computer on and running all the time would not be good for heat issues. Besides, with a SSD drive, it doesnt take long to boot anyway.

I have put it to sleep a few times but coming out of sleep, i've had some problems such as the volume being muted or the video being choppy on certain channels. for all these reasons i just shut it down.

EDIT: IT WORKS!!! Starsky thank you so much. it never even occurred to me to try putting the shotcut in the startup folder. There's an option inside windows media center to get it to boot directly on windows startup which i have been using until now. cant believe it was that simple.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page