Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Previous thread for reference:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484977/my-htpc-cooking

I have all but solved my heat problems (will update thread when im 100% fixed with how I did it).

But I have a lingering problem, I noticed that the CPU is heating up when in idle but as soon as I open teamviewer or turn my TV on I see the temps are high and it comes down ~6-8C. So what I did is install coretemp and then installed the app on my phone so I can monitor the temps without causing any extra mouse or teamviewer activity on the computer. Sure enough computer almost constantly runs at 3Ghz as soon as I move the mouse or log into teamviewer it drops down to 800mhz; this happens like clock work.

Is there any program that can run and record what process is making my cpu work while in idle? Right now I have no way of knowing because as soon as I look at it temps decrease and cpu work load decreases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
The same thing is happening on my laptop with windows 8. I have the display set to turn off after 20 minutes and have it set to never suspend. I can play on the internet all night at 45C. let the screen turn off and sit idle, the temps shoot up to 60c and the fan kicks up full speed.

Just tonight I got so sick of it I switched back to Win7. I don't ever remember having this problem before i put Win 8 on it.

post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Problem solved! Just as a hunch I uninstalled seagate dashboard. I will be updating my thread when everything is done my heat issues are no more
post #4 of 5 Old 08-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I had this same problem and found that the culprit was Logitech SetPoint (I have a Logitech K400 keyboard and use SetPoint to customize it). Logitech only recently fixed the problem, after over a year's worth of complaints on their forums.

The only other idle CPU hog I've seen in Windows 8 is the background defrag service, which shouldn't be an issue for most HTPCs I think (we're all running SSDs right?).
post #5 of 5 Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Thanks for the suggestion. So happens I have a Logitech trackball. I might reload my Win 8 image and give it a try.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page