Install iSCSI Target on WHS 2011 box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I tried to install the iSCSI target software on my WHS 2011 box last night and got a message that the software is compliant with my OS. I used the Windows Server 2008 R2 version from the MS website. I have seen other threads where people have gotten this installed and functioning. It looks like some people have modified the MSI file so it will work. Maybe there are other soltions. Can someone please assist? Maybe send me the modified MSI or point me to the correct software?

thanks,

Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I tried to install the iSCSI target software on my WHS 2011 box last night and got a message that the software is compliant with my OS. I used the Windows Server 2008 R2 version from the MS website. I have seen other threads where people have gotten this installed and functioning. It looks like some people have modified the MSI file so it will work. Maybe there are other soltions. Can someone please assist? Maybe send me the modified MSI or point me to the correct software?

thanks,

Stephen

The version you got from the MS website will only work on 2008 R2, not on WHS 2011.

Here's another option that you can try....though I have not used it it may work with WHS 2011: KernSafe Free

I did remember seeing a post on another forum about the modification of the MSI file...i'll have to find it.
post #3 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

The version you got from the MS website will only work on 2008 R2, not on WHS 2011.

Here's another option that you can try....though I have not used it it may work with WHS 2011: KernSafe Free

I did remember seeing a post on another forum about the modification of the MSI file...i'll have to find it.

I will give it a shot. I would like to find the altered MSI file because it sounded like it was proven to work. I would hate to screw up my WHS box.

Here is the original thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419521/iscsi-windows-home-server-2011-and-live-recorded-tv
post #4 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:

I will give it a shot. I would like to find the altered MSI file because it sounded like it was proven to work. I would hate to screw up my WHS box.

Here is the original thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1419521/iscsi-windows-home-server-2011-and-live-recorded-tv

Yeah, that was my thread... I'm still running the Microsoft free iSCSI server on my WHS2011 box. So, one of my HTPCs has no HDD, only a small SSD to boot from, and all live TV is buffered/recorded to the iSCSI target.

You use a program called Orca (from Microsoft) to edit the MSI. Once you get into Orca it is pretty obvious what to change, from what I remember. Sorry I don't have the details for you, it has been a while since I did it.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Dean. I was hoping you would reply because it sounded like you had altered the file.

Bummer that you still dont have it. Any idea where I can find the MSI file?
post #6 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:

Thanks Dean. I was hoping you would reply because it sounded like you had altered the file.

Bummer that you still dont have it. Any idea where I can find the MSI file?

What MSI file are you looking for? The one for iSCSI? Is it not still available?
post #7 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanM View Post

What MSI file are you looking for? The one for iSCSI? Is it not still available?

I looked online at work for a couple of minutes and couldn't find it.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:

I looked online at work for a couple of minutes and couldn't find it.

I can't be sure this is the same one... but I did a quick google search: 'site:microsoft.com iSCSI target Server'

and first link is this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19867
post #9 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Why not the free StarWind iSCSI target package? It's pretty nice.
robnix likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puwaha View Post

Why not the free StarWind iSCSI target package? It's pretty nice.

+1 for the Starwind app. It works very well.

Looky here!
post #11 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was able to find the file and altered it and got it working last night on my WHS box. However when creating the virtual drive it crashed the iSCSI app when I tried to create a large (ie 1TB virtual drive for a device) virtual hard drive .vhd. I was able to create a 500MB virtual drive and created a volume on my Windows 7 box that workted great. My gut tells me that the issue I am having is due to the fact that my drive space is in the Flexraid pool and it creating a virtual drive of a virtual drive.. make sense?

One idea I had was to add a new physical drive to my box and not add that drive to my flexraid pool. Then use that for my iSCSI virtual drives.

I am still messing around with it to see if I can get the kinks worked out.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I was able to find the file and altered it and got it working last night on my WHS box. However when creating the virtual drive it crashed the iSCSI app when I tried to create a large (ie 1TB virtual drive for a device) virtual hard drive .vhd. I was able to create a 500MB virtual drive and created a volume on my Windows 7 box that workted great. My gut tells me that the issue I am having is due to the fact that my drive space is in the Flexraid pool and it creating a virtual drive of a virtual drive.. make sense?

One idea I had was to add a new physical drive to my box and not add that drive to my flexraid pool. Then use that for my iSCSI virtual drives.

I am still messing around with it to see if I can get the kinks worked out.

All my iSCSI targets are smallish (250GB) VHDs on physical disks (NTFS partitions).
post #13 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If small storage... Ie less than 2tb virtual drives is a real world limitation/issue then that will be a problem. I just want a big folder to directly store the wmc files and small will be problem.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

If small storage... Ie less than 2tb virtual drives is a real world limitation/issue then that will be a problem. I just want a big folder to directly store the wmc files and small will be problem.

I use the MS iSCSI Initiator on a 4TB drive. It's setup as a block level iSCSI LUN on the Target. This is a Synology iSCSI Target option (not available on Qnap). I'm not sure if the MS Target has this capability. If so, you would probably have to use the entire Flexraid pool or drop a drive from the pool.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I think I have an empty 2tb drive added to my flexraid. I will remove it from the array and see if that works better. Weird because the iscsi device setup says I have 3.5tb of space. But that could be spread across 15 discs.

Out of curiosity how long did your large virtual drive take to create? Maybe a 2tb vhd takes a whole to create and I am not waiting long enough. Machine appears to lock up. Maybe I need to create and let it run for a while.
post #16 of 19 Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks. I think I have an empty 2tb drive added to my flexraid. I will remove it from the array and see if that works better. Weird because the iscsi device setup says I have 3.5tb of space. But that could be spread across 15 discs.

Out of curiosity how long did your large virtual drive take to create? Maybe a 2tb vhd takes a whole to create and I am not waiting long enough. Machine appears to lock up. Maybe I need to create and let it run for a while.

If this is for me. I'm using a Synology NAS with block-level iSCSI LUN. This means an unformatted volume is created without the Synology file system (EXT4). The initiator file system is not virtualized within a file. Therefore, creation is as quick as defining a volume, then formatting the volume within the iSCSI Initiator's OS instance. So a few minutes total to create.
post #17 of 19 Old 08-23-2013, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To close the loop on this. Last night I removed an empty 2tb drive from my flexraid pool. I then used that drive to create a 2tb virtual drive. That process took 5 seconds. So it appears the problem I was having earlier is related to drive being in flexraid.

Everything seems to be stable and working well. Now to setup my other htpc as an extender.

Thanks for everyone's help.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

I would not do it smile.gif I mean KornSave smile.gif

You'll have to learn Mandarin or whatever these guys use for talking on mainland China to get something decent and recent from their support. Also their forum is dead and traffic on site is non-existing.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

+1 for the Starwind app. It works very well.

+100500

Piece of work. It's a pity they don't support Windows XP anymore so I had to upgrade the OS on my fridge to run Windows 7 to keep it smile.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page