Power Consumption i7-4770k vs. i7-4765t - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

I'm planning on building an HTPC. Its usage is expected to be movies, dvr, gaming, and computing, I was going to get i7-4765t 35W processor, thinking I'll save some electricity.

After some googling, some have mentioned getting the higher power cpu because the power consumption savings will be minimal since most of the time the cpu will be idling. Others mention getting the higher power cpu and underclocking it. I could always reset cpu if I needed more power.

Is the actual electricity savings minimal between the two processors or should I with the i7-4765t to save electricity and money in the long run.?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 831
The electricty difference in the same processes is nearly non existent and not significant at all. If you want the low profile cooler is a much better reason to get the T version and spend extra.

Personally I'd buy the cheapest one and also buy a low profile cooler that is better than the stock one if that is your thing/need. You can underclock any CPU. Just setting it to power saving mode can basically do this for you.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

The electricty difference in the same processes is nearly non existent and not significant at all. If you want the low profile cooler is a much better reason to get the T version and spend extra.

Personally I'd buy the cheapest one and also buy a low profile cooler that is better than the stock one if that is your thing/need. You can underclock any CPU. Just setting it to power saving mode can basically do this for you.

Hi Mfusick,

Does that mean in general, the power consumption is very similar for both cpus'? Especially when doing HTPC duties?

I was wondering how significant the power consumption/electricity usage was between the i7-4770k-vs-i7-4765t. I would still like to play games with the HTPC build but not sure how much time I would have for that in the future. That is why I'm looking at energy costs.

Thanks for your advice.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When you're playing normal games, both CPUs consume same power, but at heavy games i7-4770k will run faster, smoother and of course it sucks more power.
For normal use and movies, definitely i7-4765t saves you some money depending on how long you turn your machine on.
I think your decision should be based on which one you play the most - games or HTPC.
For more info, see the link below
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/604/Intel_Core_i7_i7-4765T_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K.html
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I wouldn't even consider the i7 unless you plan on doing some kind of video encoding or other cpu heavy tasks that benefit from hyperthreading. If not do your wallet a favor and grab an I5 instead.

post #6 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 831
The difference in power is never greater than the difference in cost.

I would not worry about the power.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 7 Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I'll go with an I5 since it's mainly going to be an htpc
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page