media center to media portal questions - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 09-16-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More updates. So I copied avatar across the LAN to the local ssd in the e350. Its a 35gb mkv file and it took about 25 minutes. My 2tb drive i copied it from is a Western digital green drive so isn't the fastest but I thought that was impressive enough. When I played it locally it played 100% fine. So I went back and played it across the network and it now plays fine there too! So I don't know what I have done, I changed some windows settings etc but the issue seems to be resolved.

My next glitch is that while watching live HDTV on the a10 I get a glitch or frame freeze every time lots happen on screen. So say a bus drives past and takes up most of the screen I get a freeze for like .2 seconds and then continues OK. Sound is fine. But get this. If I wind back 15 seconds and play in time shift its 100% OK. Real weird.

Thanks des.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 09-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 15
This could be an issue either with the TV codec/renderer or possibly the timeshift buffer etc.

What TV codec/renderer are you currently using? Try changing this to other alternatives and see if the issue persists.

Other possibilities are the graphics driver and the TV tuner, but we can test these later.
post #33 of 43 Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Everything is at default with codecs so isn't it lav that comes as stock? I will confirm.

Again I tried disabling hardware acceleration with my graphics and that made little or no difference. Interestingly the a10 can play my full HD avatar file with software decode only with like sub 20% cpu. So the built in GPU brings that down to about 10% with hardware acceleration on.

Is there a easy way to force a different TV card to be used. As I have multiple cards it would be good to easily switch between them to see if the issue is with all receivers. I have found pressing info twice gives me an option to look at tuner info which let's me see what's being used. But without screwing with the config and changing rx priorities I don't know how to force a specific receiver for testing.

I have to say the more I use mediaportal the more I like it. I recorded something yesterday and started to watch it last night. I didn't get finished before I went up to bed. I was then able to start the recording in the bedroom from where I left it on the living room machine. Excellent. This sounds so simple but it makes using mediaportal so nice. Why have I been messing with media centre for so long.

Thanks des

post #34 of 43 Old 09-17-2013, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Oh TV buffer is set to the ram disk so should be supper fast? Is it worth putting that back to disk?

post #35 of 43 Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM

If LAV has been installed I think they are stock decoders, but you may want to check and try some others temporarily just to make sure that this is not the problem.

The only way I know to order the tv tuners is through TVserver config I'm afraid. Currently because it is a different service TVserver config is not available from the frontend.

I would at least try the tvbuffer on a local harddisk to rule out the ram disk as the problem. I get the feeling it may be the AMD drivers, but we need to check everything to make sure we're not heading down the wrong path.

Glad you're enjoying Mediaportal though. MCE is still default for many people because of Cablecard support, but I think a lot of them would be surprised how much MePo has imrpoved in recent times. Can't wait until version 2 is released as it will offer a lot of benefits in mutiseat setups.
gonzo90017 likes this.
post #36 of 43 Old 09-26-2013, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well after another week of use I'm still very happy. I haven't got round to finding the issue with live hd TV sometimes jumping, but when I had a few things recording and was on a different tuner the issue had gone so it might be something odd with the HD dvbt2 TBS USB twin receiver. The fix of just watching stuff with 15 seconds time shift fixes it anyhow.

So I was reading that you can install some plugins to access mediaportal remotely on my android phone. But I'm unsure if this is to just set up recordings etc or of I can actually watch TV for example. Any insight here? Cheers des.

post #37 of 43 Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM

You can watch Live TV or recordings, a good example is found here using aMPDroid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdPP_Xu3gl0

You have to set up some server side stuff, but instructions can be found to do this quite easily.
post #38 of 43 Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 PM

So basically you will need to set up MPExtended:

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/tools/mpextended-service

and then choose something for use on your phone, likely:

AMPDroid
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/remotes/ampdroid

and/or:

WebMediaPortal
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/tools/mpextended-webmediaportal
post #39 of 43 Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

How cool is that! I should have some time over the weekend to play and install the server side stuff. First day off in about 2 months. Well I'm almost off as im on call for work, does that count....

So the server eg my a10 sends the film or TV etc to my phone. So I take it that it has to convert the film eg transcode it on the fly in real time? What I'm thinking is that if I wanted to watch say a ripped bluray worst case scenario is like a bit rate of 35mbps. What does this get converted down to? Is my a10 enough to do this power wise? Also my internet connection is 14.5 Mbps down and only 0.95 up. Will this be an issue.

How did I not hear about mediaportal before now...

post #40 of 43 Old 09-29-2013, 03:06 AM

Yes the source will need to be transcoded, I think there are some default transcoding options but you may need to set up your own custom ones.
I assume this is possible through settings in aMPdroid etc, but I haven't used it myself. It is definitely available through the MPExtended API so it may depend on what the client you use allows.

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/17_Extensions/Remote_Access/MPExtended

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/17_Extensions/Remote_Access/MPExtended/Developers/Creating_profiles

Mediaportal is not that popular in the US because it doesn't support copy once content on cable card tuners, which means it's an automatic 'no thanks' for cable subscribers.
Also, Mediaportal is more complicated to configure (MCE's simplicity out of the box makes a bonus for new converts) which turns off a few people.

Mediaportal also used to be fairly buggy, this has been ironed out a lot in recent years but people trying a while ago wouldn't have had the same experience they can have now.
Regardless, MCE is still a solid option for many people.
Mediaportal is a great option for a lot of people who like a bit more customisation and for people wanting to do things a bit more outside the box (like the things you are looking at now).

Streaming content is still rather new so I expect you may find a few hurdles to work around, but things are improving and I have full confidence in the MP community who are always looking to better the product.

Have also added some links to some good posts about WebMP (although I think you'll likely be looking at aMPDroid).

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/team-blog/kiwijunglist

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/extend-your-horizons.120045/
post #41 of 43 Old 10-01-2013, 04:23 AM

Oh, mediaportal 1.5 final was released today.
post #42 of 43 Old 10-01-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Over the weekend I have managed to get ampdroid running great. Had some problems with my router and firewalls but got that sorted in the end.

So now I can watch TV movies and series stuff on my phone, bedroom htpc and the main living room htpc. Its brilliant!

I also received new ram for my a10 and fitted it. So that's me back to 16gb and no problems or crashes since Saturday. The machine ran trouble free on the 8gb with 1 memory card removed for over a week. It was crashing every few hours with the faulty memory card in it.

I also rewired the case fans (80mm units) in series so they turn much slower and are therefore almost silent. I also put a resistor in series with the big CPU fan and the machine now can't be heard unless your accessing the HDD with your ear within 1 meter of the machine and the volume right down. With the fans set to auto control and slowest speed in the bios the CPU runs at 45 degrees c. I have it set to increase speed when the CPU gets to 55 deg c. At 45 deg c if I turn the fans up full even with them in series and the CPU fan resistor the CPU quickly goes down to 35 deg c so I'm happy I have adequate cooling.

I need not have worried about CPU power and transcoding as the CPU sits at about 15% while playing 2 HD films and transcoding to my phone. There is the odd blip on the graph to 30% which seems to be the virus checker, but everything is butter smooth. Nice.

Now as for noise, while tweeking stuff like fans in the htpc I noticed my TV makes an annoying wine/buzz sometimes. Now I hear it my ear keeps tuneing into it. Its a 2 year old Toshiba 40 inch. Not sure what I can do about it. My wife thinks I'm nuts and toooo easy annoyed...

Now everything is running OK I'm not sure I want to mess with installing version 1.5 just in case it goes wrong. The only thing that might interest me is the new power scheduler as I just let the server run all the time. Is the system likely to stay reliable if it keeps going to sleep? Will it wake up remotely as required with ampdroid? I see it can send wol packets.

Thaka again for all your help.

post #43 of 43 Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM

Great to know its working well for you. A lot of people enjoy the ability to schedule and watch TV/movies while on the road :-)

PowerScheduler++ can be downloaded as a plugin so no need to install 1.5 if 1.4 is working for you.
http://www.team-mediaportal.com/extensions/other/powerscheduler

Possibly the only likely problem in the future is if your skin (StreamedMP) doesn't support 1.4, but again that's is if you are updating it and you may not have need too..

I have the same problem with whines and noises, once you notice it will drive you crazy!

Sleep is a different issue and will depend on your hardware. I guess the best bet is to try and see, but be careful about power saving options for PCI-E cards (may take your TV tuner offline when a restart is made). If you have any issues let me know.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page