Build Intel NUC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New at this but my cpu barely holding on after a HD crash, so I have been exploring building using an Intel NUC as core. Have looked at some of the stds tech docs on their site but they are a bit over my head. It would appear 4th Gen icore required for full HD bid? Will an outboard DAC be required for the best sound?
Thanks for any input. ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oops, vid not bid. ..
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 350
NUC specs a low power gen 3 - 2core Celeron or i3 or a similar spec 4 core i5
all of these will do 1080p /1080i HD should handle 4K as well .
Even smartphones and tablets with much less CPU can playback full HD video
it's no big deal even ancient p4 with $25.00 HD video card can do that.

CPU and cpu cooler are included with NUC kit or populated board they are soldered in
so changing CPU later is not an option

You can select the complete kits including case and power supply or populated motherboards here
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/nuc.html#

ofc then you will need storage and ram Two SO-DIMM 1333/1600 laptop sticks maybe usb or mini PCI wifi but other than that you are good to go
i3 should be more than enough for HTPC unless you do a lot of encoding/rendering/editing in which case i5 might be preferred

One thing to consider the nuc processors are basically low power
laptop kit and not comparable to or near as powerful as conventional socketed desktop core i3,i5 cpu but more than adequate for HTPC HD playback .

Included Audio supplied = Intel® High Definition Audio (Intel® HD Audio)1 in the following configuration:
Eight-channel (7.1) digital audio via one HDMI 1.4a output
so depending on how revealing your system is and or your preferred configuration
you could go either way supplied internal dac /audio over HDMI 1.4 or external usb DAC your choice there. NUC boards have dual HDMI output

OTOH have you thought about just a new HDD is the metal bad or just file corruption or controller problem ,hard to tell sometimes both can crash your system rather dramatically . Maybe run sea tools or lifeguard diag on it see whats up and maybe recover /mark any bad sectors.or a clean install . In any event metal drive is cheap now .sometimes you can zero them out and start over and that might work.
sometimes a clean install by itself makes it run like new if the metal is OK
have you tried a ( chkdsk /r ) or ( chkdsk /f ) or sfc /scannow
those are real helpful sometimes . If your HDD is real trashed windows will sometimes automatically run chkdsk at startup .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

NUC specs a low power gen 3 - 2core Celeron or i3 or a similar spec 4 core i5
all of these will do 1080p /1080i HD should handle 4K as well .
Even smartphones and tablets with much less CPU can playback full HD video
it's no big deal even ancient p4 with $25.00 HD video card can do that.
Except that your smart phone or tablet isn't displaying 1080p video with HD audio, so it's not "full HD" according to the specs. You're displaying video at a much lower resolution and bit rate than a full-sized HDTV, so you're not even in the same ballpark when it comes to processing power or requirements. Note: I'm not saying they can't do it, but that they don't normally need to if they're displaying the video on the embedded display.

That being said, an Intel NUC with either a Celeron or Core i3 will be able to disply full HD with no problem. Check out assassin's review of the NUC in another thread in this forum for lots of discussion on the NUC.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 350
No doubt about the smartphone tablets good points about res and bit rate. I'm not sure what Netflix ,Hulu, Amazon ,etc streaming resolution/ bit rate is for phone /tablet today probably 480p both may be higher over wifi than telco also. but some smartphones and Pads can handle 1080p
and a lot of their panels have long had native resolution much higher than 1080p .

Netflix is rolling out 1080p support for both smartphones and tablets soon it wasn't the hardware it was Netflix apps.I'm sure iTunes ,Hulu and Amazon will follow YT probably has it for them already .
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/07/24/netflix-to-debut-1080p-streaming-on-the-new-nexus-7-will-roll-out-additional-android-device-support-later-

while they are not driving a big panel they can stream1080p HD just fine if they receive it ,they will soon. none the less 1080p is same number of pixels (resolution if you will ) regardless of panel size but even ancient P4 with HD video card can do 1080p also for low level Android type CPU in a Roku or BD player or smart TV. Playback of 1080p + 5.1 / 7.1 audio is no big deal for CPU anymore . Editing and encoding /archiving audio/video ofc is more CPU intensive . I'm sure 5.1 HDMI/maybe Wi Fi audio support will not be long on phones some tablets have it already.

You are right Celeron 847 will work for HD HTPC playback they can do it with atom cpu also. The first Gen Roku HD-XR 1080p Box had a .PNX*8935 400 MHZ single core chip I would prefer at least the i3 for maybe some thing other than just HDTV playback ,Maybe DVD Shrink or something like that for archiving or making backup of DVD or also running WMC (which can in itself be at times slow with windows overhead on a weak chip) another consideration is that that NUC CPU are embedded parts and cannot be changed for future upgrade path maybe 4K someday which the i3/i5 should handle OK even if OP wants to burn or archive BD I don't know about a Celeron mobile doing that I haven't even tried that with desktop no BD dive in this one yet ?

If OP just wants to watch steaming Netflix or Amazon then a Roku or other device will be a lot cheaper and work fine . OP never mentioned what he wanted to do with it.
if he wants some PC function also the NUC i3/i5 is better. Celeron 847 is to slow for gen PC use if he does more than e mail ,some net surfing Y tube Netflix etc.
I got the impression he wanted it to do double duty also is he going to attach ODD ? or discrete video although I don't know what type of laptop GPU would be good
I'm assuming he will keep intel HD .

The Celeron 847 vs i3 3217U overall are not that far apart at CPU BOSS
but are very far apart on individual and Pasmark benchmarks but if you are only streaming,playing media,light browser ,email (not to many open tabs) no multi task you are right Celeron is fine. anything more than that the i3/i5 are better solutions .

I stream WMC media from HDD's or other content from web around the house on wi fi and might be doing encoding editing and watching a movie maybe netflix or maybe posting here on the other screen all at once while also streaming WMC media from my daily driver all at the same time but it is 4 core desktop and does double duty just fine .
ofc there are two other desktops +PS3 and 2 smartphones on the lan so there is plenty of cpu available.

For HT BD and Netflix I use PS3 or can send WMC media or other content to PS3 to TV I like to archive some movies (dual layer DVD's) into WMC in a DVD 9 format others in DVD 5 depends on the movie lenght and content so for me at least a Celeron would not work . Maybe OP will come back and we can ask him what he wants to do with it? I think NUC are a little expensive for what they can do but are quite remarkable compared to an old P4XX or Athlon 64 XX box OTOH the small form factor is sometimes nice if you need it.
My first box was a 386sx33 with math co processor ,EGA graphics and 14.4 modem 2 megs of ram,100MB hdd on BBS before anybody ever heard of AOL . long time ago it ran DOS 2.0 and win 3.0/3.1 .

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3217U-vs-Intel-Celeron-847
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-3217U-vs-Intel-Celeron-847#performance

Best regards

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page