Video problems with XBMC (but not in VLC) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've been fiddling around trying to set up XBMC as my main media center on my new HTPC.

My setup is as follows:

Intel i3 4670 chip
ASRock mobo
Windows 7 Home Premium
8 GB RAM

The issue I keep having is "tearing" during playback of all video - be it MKV files that I've ripped myself from my DVD collection or videos played via XBMC using any of the add-ons. The "tearing" I am referring to is a horizontal line where it seems that the top of the picture is "torn" from the bottom for a brief period of time. This happens at any time but moreso with panning shots or movement/action. I've adjusted video and audio settings and it hasn't made any difference. I've even tried a different video driver (several, actually) and it makes no difference.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded VLC player and all of my MKV files played perfectly without any tearing....it was rock solid.

I further experimented and actually uninstalled Frodo and installed Eden instead. Same tearing issue.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is this issue "fixable"?

Thanks in advance!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post

I've been fiddling around trying to set up XBMC as my main media center on my new HTPC.

My setup is as follows:

Intel i3 4670 chip
ASRock mobo
Windows 7 Home Premium
8 GB RAM

The issue I keep having is "tearing" during playback of all video - be it MKV files that I've ripped myself from my DVD collection or videos played via XBMC using any of the add-ons. The "tearing" I am referring to is a horizontal line where it seems that the top of the picture is "torn" from the bottom for a brief period of time. This happens at any time but moreso with panning shots or movement/action. I've adjusted video and audio settings and it hasn't made any difference. I've even tried a different video driver (several, actually) and it makes no difference.

Just out of curiosity, I downloaded VLC player and all of my MKV files played perfectly without any tearing....it was rock solid.

I further experimented and actually uninstalled Frodo and installed Eden instead. Same tearing issue.

Thanks in advance!

I have a similar HTPC like yours and had video problems only with 1080p movies at first when I upgraded to frodo coming from eden. My problem was stuttering video playback but I delete it and reinstalled it again and it worked fine. I don't know if they updated a bug or what but it worked for me but I see you already did that. ( also my playback was good with Media player classic) it could be you could have too many audio/video drivers or just a simple setting in video xbmc settings.

You could also use VLC as your player with XBMC, I'm just not sure exactly how to do it, maybe someone else does know how.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #3 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Use my guides.

Turn off dxva.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post

My setup is as follows:

Intel i3 4670 chip
ASRock mobo
Windows 7 Home Premium
8 GB RAM

Thanks in advance!

Turn on 'Vertical Blank Sync' (System\Settings\System\Video Output)
post #5 of 6 Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
steelman: that did it! I first turned on vsync in my video driver settings and then also turned it on within XBMC settings.

Looks fine now.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-17-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Use my guides.

Turn off dxva.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelman1991 View Post

Turn on 'Vertical Blank Sync' (System\Settings\System\Video Output)
Did both of those and I still have the problem of "macro blocking?".
Every time it changes scenes, for example, the beginning of The Lion King with it goes from animal to animal, it gets all crazy looking. Unwatchable. VLC works great though.

i5-2500k
8GB, 2133Mhz.

*edit*
Disregard. After closing other background programs and restarting XBMC, the macro blocking is gone. Thanks.

YID DIY
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page