Can a bad power supply cause hot hard drives? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 400w power supply in my Gateway lx6810 HTPC. This system has three internal hard drives plus two powered external USB hard drives. I just installed a Powercolor Radeon 7790 and games work great for a while but after a couple of hours I get a lot of frame rate problems. I installed speed fan and it seems like everything is burning up in there! It's reporting all the hard drives from 51c to 58c and the card at 68c just from sitting with a screen saver going. Could this be caused by the power supply? This deal seems to be for a power supply that isn't much better than the one I have so could someone point me to a deal that would work for the system I have? I was thinking of taking the 460w power supply out of my XPS 8500, popping that in there and just upgrading that power supply instead. Thoughts?

There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 158
You need to install some case fans.

Open the case and look on the inside for grills. It most likely will take a 120mm in the back and an 80 or 90 mm in the front.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 32
How hot the room the drives are operating in, what the form factor of the case is like, how the manufacturer has the hard drives crammed into the case, what you are doing with them (moving files from one drive to another, across the network, running stress testing.

My Lenovo ix2-4 NAS runs regularly around 159ºf-172ºf for the CPU, 125ºf-132ºf for the Motherboard, fan runs around 805 rpm. Very small form factor case, and runs hot, due to the drives in there are old school Platter drives. If they were SSD's, they would run a whole lot cooler.

Post what your room temp is, when using the system. I use the older style Radioshack Indoor/Outdoor Weather forecaster for watching our Living room temps, attic & basement with the sensors. You could use a sensor for the model that Radioshack is selling now, inside the case, or something like this to measure inside and component case temps. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811998067 This is the newer model that Logisys sells http://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=FP206BK&DID=ACCESSORY Here is another case monitor that uses sensors http://www.xoxide.com/sunbeam-chormatic-windmill-silver.html

There are more out there, just do some searching. Now of course there are also cases that come with these as a part of the case, and the sensors basically just attach to the component you wish to measure, costs will vary though.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
first you need a case with adequate ventilation, then an adequate power supply to support the internals, ect ect.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac25 View Post

first you need a case with adequate ventilation, then an adequate power supply to support the internals, ect ect.
Not so much a case issue, 99.99% of the time, it is that the room they are using the system in, is warm (ie 85+ ºf), and high humidity, which is bad for the system, along with how the case designer has also placed the hard drive mounting in a way, that there is no airflow to it.

On the plus side, this is where SSD's come in shining, since they do not heat up, unless you start doing high intense operations (ie moving large amounts of files, long term memory intense operations like crunching numbers that would be pushing data between the CPU & the SSD NAND RAM, that can heat them up.

They are showing around 124-132ºf for the hard drive, and around 155ºf for the GPU, the case is not the problem, since it has great venting from the design, so that makes me think that ambient room air temp is the culprit here.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Get those temps under control! If I could do it with my itx case and so many components then you can do the same

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484977/my-htpc-cooking
post #7 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2300NX View Post

Get those temps under control! If I could do it with my itx case and so many components then you can do the same

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1484977/my-htpc-cooking
The person that stated that 123-125º f is fine for the CPU is off. Mine runs normally around 108-115, unless like you had an operation that was killing the CPU, then it will spike, but never should it spike to where it is killing 100% of the CPU available.

In your case, taking the steps you did, is the same that I do, but usually does not hit me, until for 20 to 30 min's that I am sitting there, wondering why my temp is still so high, when I look down at the task bar to notice that Core Temp, which I use, is showing high temps. I have tried both Speedfan & Core Temp, but like Core Temp a lot better for how light weight it has always been, and that it just as good as Speedfan. Both are good programs.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page