Remote Control HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Presenlty i have a HTPC system which is connected to my TV via HDMI. I have connected wireless mouse and Wired keyboard connected to HTPC.
i will be using my mouse an dkeybaord to navigate through movies and watch movies on TV

i want to move this HTPC to another room in few days. i will connect it to tv via HDMI cable.

Since my htpc will be in another room, i cant connect my keyboard and mouse via wireless and use it.

can someone recommend me good blutooth wireless mouse and keyboard combo or is there any ipad or andriod software where i can do remote mouse and keyboard ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 164
There are many keyboard and mouse apps for both iOS and Android. You typically install a program on the host computer (your HTPC) and the app connects to it via WiFi from your smartphone/tablet. The only problem with this solution is the program has to be running before it works. They do not let you log in and UAC prompts usually disable them from responding. You can turn off UAC and enable auto-login to avoid most of the issues. To access the BIOS you would need to plug in an actual keyboard/mouse.

post #3 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
My favorite iOS keyboard/mouse app is Hippo Remote. It works in all cases, even on UAC pop-ups and login screens. The paid version has tons of profiles for WMC, Windows, Netflix, Hulu, you name it. I have yet to find an Andriod app as good as Hippo, but there are a few decent ones. Moble Mouse on iOS is a close second but chokes on UAC, etc.

My favorite wireless keyboard/mouse for HTPC use is the Logitech K400, which is available just about everywhere. The Lenovo N5902 is another popular option, and there's a nice deal right now (thanks to newfiend at TGB for the heads up).

K400: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG

N5902: http://hothardware.com/News/Huge-savings-on-Lenovo-Backlit-Remote-Crucial-M500-SSD-highend-XPS-8700-Desktop-and-more/

Having said that, I much prefer using a normal IR remote for most HTPC tasks, as do my family and guests. I only pull out my keyboard/mouse (or app), for web surfing and computer management. Since you are running a new HDMI cable, you can easily run a USB extension for an IR dongle as well.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How far away is your other room? Since you're connecting it to the TV via HDMI, I assume it isn't too far away? perhaps 30 ft or less? try a wireless bluetooth mouse and keyboard to see if it reach the distance. Or get a USB extension cable and run it with the HDMI cable you're running and plug in the USB BT dongle closer to you (perhaps right behind the TV)

I have the Dinovo Edge for years and really like it.

I've tried the whole wifi remote deal but always prefer the main mouse/keyboard since I do surf the web on my htpc.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can someone suggest me USB or Bluetooth Dongle
post #6 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 56
With keyboard and a mouse it is just a PC connected to a TV.

Uee remote to control it, then you can call it HTPC.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #7 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinku2012 View Post

Can someone suggest me USB or Bluetooth Dongle
For what, a remote or a keyboard/mouse? In any case I would avoid bluetooth. It's more expensive, doesn't work during boot up and uses more power than proprietary RF typical on most wireless keyboards and mice. For an IR remote, any MCE (RC6) dongle will do. HP is a cheap, popular one. Most any Rosewill remote will come with an MCE dongle too. If you plan to use a universal remote, then just use the dongle and put the included remote away. Avoid those really cheap Chinese ones ($7 or less). They typically aren't truly MCE and are missing many important functions, like sleep/wake, record, etc. Ortek/Adesso/Sama is a good remote/dongle as well. It doesn't use the MCE protocol, but does have all the same commands. It's good for situations where you may have more than one MCE device in the same rack. It also works well on a Raspberry Pi.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
http://mobilemouse.com/

I use it for my htpc works great.

They have a light version for you to test out.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page