3.5" bay vfd solution - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I currently have a self built htpc with the apex mi-008 chassis. This case only has an available 3.5" external bay because the 5.25 bay has one of those flip down doors for optical drives.

My question is does anyone know if the Nmediapc pro-lcd would be small enough to fit in a 3.5" bay after desoldering the vfd from the pcb? Assuming that isn't the case does anyone know of a lcd of similar price and features that is already setup for a 3.5" bay or could be modified to do so? (similar price being 30-40us$ and preferably on amazon.com)

I have seen a few 3.5" vfd but they were all 80-100$ which is way too expensive as I could just buy a new case with one already included.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
technically, it is an LCD not a VFD...
but anyway, I would just get the OEM version (comes as just the electronics, no plastic 'bay mount' crap), get a dremel (or preferably a small mill) and have at it... I am sure there would be a way to make it fit and look good.
might take some time and experimenting though...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #3 of 10 Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I had it, ebayed it. It was useless from anywhere but 2-3 feet from PC. Went to target bought a $5 LED alarm clock, took it out of the case, and it fit the nMedia PC window perfectly.

That is all wife wanted, "clock like other people's DVRs"

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #4 of 10 Old 08-28-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

I had it, ebayed it. It was useless from anywhere but 2-3 feet from PC. Went to target bought a $5 LED alarm clock, took it out of the case, and it fit the nMedia PC window perfectly.

That is all wife wanted, "clock like other people's DVRs"
The cheap ass in me says get the clock but I really want to be able to do custom stuff as well. Range isn't really an issue either.

post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikkuranus View Post

The cheap ass in me says get the clock but I really want to be able to do custom stuff as well. Range isn't really an issue either.

If you have 2x 5.25 bays available, I have an Antec Veris Premiere that I never end up using

http://store.antec.com/Product/accessory-veris_media/veris-premier/0-761345-30126-8.aspx

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #6 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 161
The wow factor of a VFD lasts about 30 seconds. I wouldn't bother.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The wow factor of a VFD lasts about 30 seconds. I wouldn't bother.
I don't know about that...
I liked my IMON-VFD so much I bought a 2nd one for another PC...

but then , I may just be easily amused...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #8 of 10 Old 09-01-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
VFDs and LCD displays in HTPC were all the rage about 10 years ago... but like many others I've moved on. The only such display I found useful was a very large 20x2 VFD display (think cash register sized), which I could read from a distance and which meant I could play music without turning on my CRT display (or projector).

Nowadays, with tablets and LCD monitors, I see little reason to use them (I do wish there were some very cheap small monitors - say 7" XGA which one could connect to a PC though)
post #9 of 10 Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
ikkuranus, I have an old NEC VFD that I used with SmartieLCD back in the day, it is just the module (no bracket) and it is parallel (for internal header). Also the PCB is ~35x85mm so you need a little room for clearance above/below the 3.5 bay but the display itself is <25mm. I'd let it go for cheap rather than throw it out, if you're interested PM me.

Personally I like having a VFD but ultimately only found it useful as a clock, and occasionally setting it to blink 12:00 when I was feeling nostalgic.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

ikkuranus, I have an old NEC VFD that I used with SmartieLCD back in the day, it is just the module (no bracket) and it is parallel (for internal header). Also the PCB is ~35x85mm so you need a little room for clearance above/below the 3.5 bay but the display itself is <25mm. I'd let it go for cheap rather than throw it out, if you're interested PM me.

Personally I like having a VFD but ultimately only found it useful as a clock, and occasionally setting it to blink 12:00 when I was feeling nostalgic.

Thanks for the offer but my motherboard don't have a parallel header. I assumed all suggestions or offers would connect to a usb header.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page