Latest Shark007 full of spyware/adware - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 08-27-2013, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok, so I've been using the Shark007 codec packs for years now, and I just tried updating by reinstalling using the MajorGeeks download path provided by Shark007 on his website. After installation my browser is totally fubar (ads asking me to update my media player even popping up even on google's home page, prompts to install download managers, runaway pop-ups, etc.).

So I will never use Shark007 again. But am looking for a LOW IMPACT codec pack that is as easy as Shark007 USED TO BE.

Any suggestions? I haven't used CCCP in several years, because of the same issue.

Assassin, I recommend you re-evaluate your HTPC setup guide since Shark007 is now installing hi-jacking spyware/adware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Did you click "next" on all the installation screens? There's a couple you want to skip.
post #3 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 12:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Spyware/adware is pretty common in free software (e.g. MediaInfo, ImgBurn, CrystalDiskMark). A problem of Shark007 codec is that there is no choice but to install some of them (in my case Baidu IME). A workaround is extract the .exe file by 7-Zip and run Advanced.exe / Standard.exe directly.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Common or not, using other peoples work (ie. all the codecs he packages), building some kind of config interface, and then adding adware on top, and then distributing that is just bad.
I guess the chance to make a few quick bucks is just too tempting.

Personally, i have refused countless offers of such download hosting pages, which all would've included some kind of adware in my installer for LAV Filters.
I rather not make money from it, than bundle it with crappy adware. Even worse if you can't even disable it at all.

PS:
I asked one of the CCCP people, and he said that the official CCCP package from their official site never included any adware.
http://www.cccp-project.net/

If you get it from any other freeware hosting pages, there is no guarantee what happened to it.
Sammy2 and Tony_Montana like this.
post #5 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 02:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Sharks codecs seemed fine for those who want an easier way to enable the codecs needed to use for the various media players, as I used to use it myself. Now I just install the codecs manually and configure them on my own without much trouble. Since I just finished doing fresh installs on my HTPC's, I intend to keep my new system setup as clean as possible before doing a system image to the server. I have such a loathing for adware and spyware alike.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Sounds like it's time to remove Icaros from my system.
I don't see the point in codec packs any more though - LAV handles everything.
post #7 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Shark007 explained the need for adware to supplement the cost of keeping the codec pack updated and hosting it on the web. If you're paying attention during the installation you should be unchecking the various check boxes in the windows that ask you if you want certain programs installed in addition to the codec pack. In other words, you didn't read the fine print.

Next time pay attention to what you're doing. ;-)
post #8 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

If even renethx says that you cannot avoid installing at least one of them, i'm inclined to believe him (heck the thing even has more then one of them? seriously?)

I'm still sticking to my opinion that its bad practice to include it at all, even if you can avoid installing it - since especially those users that really need a codec pack (because their knowledge is not very advanced) are going to simply install the adware.
He can explain all he wants, but there are those of us that gladly commit our free time to these things, and seeing someone spoil it with adware just makes me sad (especially when its linked to my own project to some degree)
post #9 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

If you're paying attention during the installation you should be unchecking the various check boxes in the windows that ask you if you want certain programs installed in addition to the codec pack.

There is no such option for Baidu IME. Either "Next" (Baidu IME will be installed automatically) or "Cancel" (the whole installation process will terminate immediately). But perhaps I see this because I installed Japanese language pack in my system and Shark007 himself didn't notice it.

-

-
post #10 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

If you're paying attention during the installation you should be unchecking the various check boxes in the windows that ask you if you want certain programs installed in addition to the codec pack.

There is no such option for Baidu IME. Either "Next" (Baidu IME will be installed automatically) or "Cancel" (Shark codec pack will be never installed). But perhaps I see this because I installed Japanese language pack in my system and Shark007 didn't notice it.

I haven't bothered to do anything with Shark007 for quite some time but even then I have not seen that screen on installation. I successfully installed Shark without adware in the past but haven't really had a reason to update lately so don't know if it has been made harder to do so.

post #11 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronoptimist View Post

I don't see the point in codec packs any more though - LAV handles everything.

True, except for one point: if you are going to use WMC internal player and want subtitles with LAV Video Decoder, then using Shark codec pack is the only solution. Personally I see Shark codec pack specifically aimed at WMC (internal player) users.

-

-
post #12 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

If even renethx says that you cannot avoid installing at least one of them, i'm inclined to believe him (heck the thing even has more then one of them? seriously?)

I'm still sticking to my opinion that its bad practice to include it at all, even if you can avoid installing it - since especially those users that really need a codec pack (because their knowledge is not very advanced) are going to simply install the adware.
He can explain all he wants, but there are those of us that gladly commit our free time to these things, and seeing someone spoil it with adware just makes me sad (especially when its linked to my own project to some degree)

Agreed.

post #13 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I just installed Shark007 Adv and Std within the past few days on a new build. I never notice the adware anymore because I always do what has renethx suggested above, simply extract the .exe files (x86 and x64) and run the extracted file. That leaves you with just the codec installer .exe file.

post #14 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
I pay attention and uncheck everything extra every time I install shark007

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #15 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

Assassin, I recommend you re-evaluate your HTPC setup guide since Shark007 is now installing hi-jacking spyware/adware.

Thanks for the heads up. I will note it in the guides when I have time.

post #16 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Is nuking the non-optionable crap after installation, an option?

Stop it from loading, delete the problem folder and program, then run ccleaner?
post #17 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Extracting the .exe file and running Advanced.exe or Standard.exe is perhaps the simplest way.
Sammy2 likes this.

-

-
post #18 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Install 7zip and then right click the downloaded .exe file and select to extract it. Browse the extracted folder and double click the extracted .exe file.

post #19 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

True, except for one point: if you are going to use WMC internal player and want subtitles with LAV Video Decoder, then using Shark codec pack is the only solution. Personally I see Shark codec pack specifically aimed at WMC (internal player) users.
I was under the impression that the codec pack configuration GUI was just a automated front end to make the configuration easier. Or in other words, anything that it could do could be done by it could be done by other means or manually.
post #20 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdru View Post

Quote:

I was under the impression that the codec pack configuration GUI was just a automated front end to make the configuration easier. Or in other words, anything that it could do could be done by it could be done by other means or manually.

Obviously it is more than that. Has anybody succeeded in connecting (xy-)VSFilter or ffdshow subtitle filter with LAV Video Decoder inside WMC player without using Shark codec pack?

-

-
post #21 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Obviously it is more than that. Has anybody succeeded in connecting (xy-)VSFilter or ffdshow subtitle filter with LAV Video Decoder inside WMC player without using Shark codec pack?

Yes, its not that terribly hard. You just need to disable any notion of "preferred codec" and enable the merit system (and disable Media Foundation).
Of course this may break live TV, as that only seems to work with MS decoders properly.
post #22 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Anyone PM shark007 here on AVS with link here for comment ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #23 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 07:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, its not that terribly hard. You just need to disable any notion of "preferred codec" and enable the merit system (and disable Media Foundation).
Of course this may break live TV, as that only seems to work with MS decoders properly.

Hmm, this didn't work for me. Maybe I need to be more careful. (Preferred codec does not affect DVD/TV, that is governed by another registry key.)

Anyway controlling WMC player is not so easy, Shark codec pack is perhaps the best solution.

-

-
post #24 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Anyone PM shark007 here on AVS with link here for comment ?

The only comment I can offer is that forced installations is specificly outlined in my agreement with the advertisier as NOT ALLOWED. The screenshot renethx presented has been forwarded to the advertiser and that specific offer will be removed immediately. I have personally stated to many users that extracting the distributed exe with 7zip will give you a clean installer with no added offers or advertising.

EDIT - Here is the response from the advertiser after linking them to renethx's post,
Quote:
Hi Shark007,

I have closed the offer immediately.
I will have a look into this and report this to management and our advertiser.
It is completely unacceptable to have a advertiser with no opt-out.
Best,

Use
and retain your sanity.
post #25 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

This is a problem I had early on so I just went with Shark007 instead. Like I said, I have not loaded anything nefarious on my system either.

post #26 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

There is no such option for Baidu IME. Either "Next" (Baidu IME will be installed automatically) or "Cancel" (the whole installation process will terminate immediately). But perhaps I see this because I installed Japanese language pack in my system and Shark007 himself didn't notice it.
I haven't updated Shark007 on my HTPC in a while and the last time I did it didn't prompt me to install Baidu IME. This must have been included in later versions of the codec installer.
post #27 of 27 Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am sure Baidu IME won't appear unless you have installed Chinese, Japanese and/or Korean (CJK) language pack(s).

-

-
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page