Watching blu rays via XBMC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 08-28-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to the HTPC game.

I finally have XBMC set up and working properly with my music and dvd rips (mp3 and mkv). Now what I'd like to be able to do is simply stick a blu ray into the blu ray player and play it from within XBMC. Is this possible? How? Do I need to buy and install a third party blu ray player software package? Is there a way to play it seamlessly via XBMC or would I need to exit the program and play it via another program? If I need an external player, are there any good FREE options? If not, what is the best paid option?

Thanks in advance!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-28-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Unless you want Blu-ray menus, you don't need a commercial player. But you need to run SlySoft AnyDVD HD in the background to decrypt AACS encryption. Then XBMC can play BD in an optical drive (you can select the main title and other titles in the disc inside XBMC).
post #3 of 36 Old 08-28-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I don't really care for menus or any special features...just the movie itself. I see that AnyDVD HD is like 60-70 euros. Any free options?

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
post #4 of 36 Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post

I don't really care for menus or any special features...just the movie itself. I see that AnyDVD HD is like 60-70 euros. Any free options?

Any DVDHD is a must for HTPC. One payment = lifetime happy experience. It also allows you to rip Blurays which you will eventually get into. biggrin.gif

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #5 of 36 Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 147
There are no free options since the encryption is continuously updated on new discs. SlySoft updates their product with the new cracks each time, and they do it VERY quickly. It really is one of the few products I say everyone who plays BluRays on a PC should own. Buy the lifetime update, well worth it.

SlySoft is also very responsive on their forum, a rarity in these days.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-28-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Passkey-Lite is free.

Use Shark007 Codecs and retain your sanity.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-29-2013, 02:38 PM

Hate to jump in here, but I have a question: Will any dvd hd allow me to both1. play blu-ray from odd AND 2. rip/copy to folder structure? If that is the case, I will no longer need to use make mkv. The slysoft website is a bit confusing regarding the purchasing options.
post #8 of 36 Old 08-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post

Hate to jump in here, but I have a question: Will any dvd hd allow me to both1. play blu-ray from odd AND 2. rip/copy to folder structure? If that is the case, I will no longer need to use make mkv. The slysoft website is a bit confusing regarding the purchasing options.

XBMC will not play a Blu-ray from ODD. XBMC will not play a Blu-ray folder structure. XBMC will play a Blu-ray ripped to ISO with AnyDVD HD.
post #9 of 36 Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Yes it allows playback from ODD and it has options to rip to BD folder structure or ISO file.
If you don't care about menus/extras it still will be better to use MakeMKV for rips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycochkn View Post

XBMC will not play a Blu-ray from ODD. XBMC will not play a Blu-ray folder structure. XBMC will play a Blu-ray ripped to ISO with AnyDVD HD.

XBMC can play all 3 fine. AnyDVD/DVDFab is needed to play from ODD.
Vinzie likes this.
post #10 of 36 Old 08-30-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

Yes it allows playback from ODD and it has options to rip to BD folder structure or ISO file.
If you don't care about menus/extras it still will be better to use MakeMKV for rips.
XBMC can play all 3 fine. AnyDVD/DVDFab is needed to play from ODD.
I use MPC HC. Q: Why would makemkv be better than anydvd hd for rips? Wouldn't folder structure be just as good? Also, any thoughts on which is better - anydvd or dvdfab? They appear to be comparable products that decrypt and rip/copy. thanks
post #11 of 36 Old 08-30-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:

I use MPC HC. Q: Why would makemkv be better than anydvd hd for rips? Wouldn't folder structure be just as good? Also, any thoughts on which is better - anydvd or dvdfab? They appear to be comparable products that decrypt and rip/copy. thanks

There is no major advantage to MKV over BD folder stucture, the one advantage being that MKV is widely supported by more players and devices and that you get rid of unwanted extras/menus saving some HDD space.
As for AnyDVD vs DVDFab, I have only ever used AnyDVD so I can't compare but I would definitely recommend AnyDVD.
post #12 of 36 Old 08-30-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejh1987 View Post

There is no major advantage to MKV over BD folder stucture, the one advantage being that MKV is widely supported by more players and devices and that you get rid of unwanted extras/menus saving some HDD space.
As for AnyDVD vs DVDFab, I have only ever used AnyDVD so I can't compare but I would definitely recommend AnyDVD.

That's not a *major* advantage? That is *THE major* advantage(s)!
post #13 of 36 Old 08-31-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

It depends, for a HTPC and MPC-HC, MKV has no major playback advantages. If you have lots of basic devices that don't support full BD structure, then yes its a major advantage.

The whole point of BD ISO/Folders is that you have the full disc so you can playback menu's/extras if you want them, if you don't want menus/extras then I don't see the point of using anything other than MKV, no point keeping the unwanted stuff if it's not needed.

Edit - By 'basic devices', I mean phones/tablets/TV's.
post #14 of 36 Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM

Liked: 13
Save yourself a load of hassle and just buy a BR player. I gave up with trying to play BR discs from XBMC, even using an external player (TMT5) was nothing but hassle.

David
post #15 of 36 Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Reviving an old post... in case you wondered... I chose DVDFab because its an all-in-one ripping solution for BluRay and, unless I am mistaken, AnyDVD only decrypts the Blu-Ray and another program is required to actually rip it.  

I've been pleased with DVDFab as a ripping option. 

post #16 of 36 Old 01-17-2014, 07:40 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post

... unless I am mistaken, AnyDVD only decrypts the Blu-Ray and another program is required to actually rip it.  

You are mistaken...
post #17 of 36 Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokap View Post

You are mistaken...

see... we learn something new each day :)

post #18 of 36 Old 01-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:

I am running XBMC 12.2 and have AnyDVD HD. However, I am unable to run ISO's properly. They run in very slow motion and are not watchable. Is there Something I need to do to get it to run?

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #19 of 36 Old 01-25-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
I use Mediabrowser3 Theater which plays them great without any fuss instead of XBMC, or I use TMT or PowerDVD if I want 3D frame packing.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #20 of 36 Old 01-25-2014, 06:17 PM

I had jitter on some bluerays till I disabled hardware excelleration. The problem could be your computer.
post #21 of 36 Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I had jitter on some bluerays till I disabled hardware excelleration. The problem could be your computer.

I disabled hardware acceleration but still doesn't play ISO's properly. It use to play them just fine with version 11 of XBMC but not 12. The cpu and graphics board is plenty fast enuff so I am not sure what the issue is.

ASUS Formula III Rampage MB
Intel I7 960 CPU ATI 5850
12GB RAM 58TB Storage
Windows 7 Ultra 64 Bit
Arcsoft TMT5, Ceton Infinity4
Onkyo 5008 to Samsung HL67A750
post #22 of 36 Old 01-27-2014, 02:17 PM

I tried DVDfab passkey over the weekend and it worked great - I don't do ISO Rips because I don't really want menus or any of that stuff.  

I just installed the trial for DVDFab and am going to try Slysoft but being a DVDFab customer for the past few years keeps me leaning toward their product offerings. 

post #23 of 36 Old 01-27-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Miller View Post

I tried DVDfab passkey over the weekend and it worked great - I don't do ISO Rips because I don't really want menus or any of that stuff.  

I just installed the trial for DVDFab and am going to try Slysoft but being a DVDFab customer for the past few years keeps me leaning toward their product offerings. 

Which version would you buy is you go with DVDFab? I always hesitate buying the license at the checking out page thinking I'm not buying the correct version, (Blu Ray 3DPlus) I think that's what it's call.

Djoel
post #24 of 36 Old 01-27-2014, 04:32 PM

Have you tried reinstalling XBMC.
post #25 of 36 Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No doubt about it. If you want to fool with htpc then anydvd is in your future.
post #26 of 36 Old 01-28-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhetman View Post

I am running XBMC 12.2 and have AnyDVD HD. However, I am unable to run ISO's properly. They run in very slow motion and are not watchable. Is there Something I need to do to get it to run?

I had the exact same problem. Change your Audio Output Device and/or Passthrough Output Device from DirectSound to WASAPI.
post #27 of 36 Old 01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

I don't seem to use this for anything. I never even had it installed on any machine I own. Why would I need it ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #28 of 36 Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

What he said. MakeMKV and XBMC are a match made in heaven. I used to rip to iso's using AnyDVD HD and then use either Arcsoft TMT or PowerDVD for playback, but always got mixed results (i.e., freezing, stuttering, macroblocking, etc.). Once I tried MakeMKV and XBMC I never looked back. I get perfect playback with no issues whatsoever. The best part is that it's absolutely free (although I do plan to pay for MakeMKV once I get a few bills taken care of).

The only possible reason I can see to use iso's for playback is if you want to keep the menus intact. MakeMKV will rip each video segment to an individual MKV file if you have them all selected. The best thing about MakeMKV is that you can rip just the main title with the desired audio and subtitles you want to keep or you can rip any segments you like. If you want to keep the extras just put a check mark next to the ones you want, rip them, and label each segment. Keep them in a separate folder with the main title and you can pick and choose which one to play in XBMC. There's no need for a menu since you can access each segment directly without having to wade through all of the crap at the beginning of the disc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post

Incorrect, sir. I have a lifetime version of AnyDVD HD and I haven't used it once since I switched to MakeMKV about 18 months ago. It is most definitely NOT a requirement for quality Blu-Ray playback.
post #29 of 36 Old 01-28-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
AnyDVD HD and My Movies are a match made in heaven. I used to rip to MKVs using MakeMKV and then manually rename things and add metadata, but always got too time consuming (i.e., ripping 6 movies during a day off). Once I tried AnyDVD HD and My Movies I never looked back. I get my technically challenged wife to rip the disc with metadata and have no issues whatsoever. The best part is that it's takes absolutely none of my time (although I do have to update AnyDVD HD manually from time to time).

It's all about each individual's needs and preferences. These determine which software combinations are better in individual situations. Each have their caveats. I have used them all and currently everything gets run through AnyDVD HD.
post #30 of 36 Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
weird, my tech challenged wife does all of our archiving while i'm away from home, with makeMKV (i don't even have profiles turned on). surprisingly they make programs, and DBs that'll fetch the metadata for you, IE: MCM or our current server backend MediaBrowser Server. pretty high tech stuff... rolleyes.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page