Need Your Advice on Best Playback Option for 24p Content via HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read a few threads on here, but still feel a little lost. So, if someone has asked this question before, plz don't jump on me too hard. I simply ask because after searching the forum I'm still unclear about a few things. To make a long story short, I'm getting a new tv (specifically the Panasonic ST60). My old tv was 60hz and pretty old, so I never worried about getting the best picture out of my HTPC. For ease of use, I simply used VLC most of the time. However, with my new tv, I want to get the best picture quality that I possibly can. My setup is as follows.

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor
2gb ram
NTSC tv tuner
Radeon HD 4550
Bluray Drive

For movies, I'll either watch a rip from mediabrowser (I rip some of my most watched movies onto my file server), but I also use my BluRay drive too watch movies as well. So my question is, what do you think will be my best bet for playback? As of now, I'm thinking MPC-HC (I like the auto reclock feature), but I'm open to suggestions. What do you all think I should use as my playback software? Or, do you have any good guides that I should read?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 325
For Blu-ray movies, there is very little PQ difference between players. If you want Blu-ray menus, you have to buy a commercial BD player such as PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre (and rip in ISO or play from an ODD). Otherwise

- Rip a BD in MKV by MakeMKV (free for now) and play it with MPC-HC (can be launched from MB)
- If you don't want to rip, play a BD in an ODD directly by MPC-HC. In this case you are limited to the main title (or select an individual title). You will need AnyDVD HD, Passkey or Passkey Lite (free) for this purpose (because decrypting AACE encryption is necessary).
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page