Just got NFL Sunday Ticket & Red Zone 2013! How is the streaming quality online? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 111 Old 08-31-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't pay for TV (Antenna for my local NFL games), but got the DirecTV online (computer, tablet & phone) version for only $40, so figured it was worth it. I really got it for the online access from my HTPC on the 65" HDTV. eek.gif I figure even if the online streaming isnt that great, dropping only $40 1x & not having to pay for DirecTV service just to get NFL Sunday Ticket on my phone alone is worth it.

Has anyone had the online version in the past? If so, how was the quality? I have seen some people say it's great and others the exact opposite...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 08-31-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 663
I like it. It's not bad. It allows me to watch a game while I am on my PC on second monitor. Looks good as small sizes, but I don't like how it looks on my 100" screen compared to full 720p

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 111 Old 08-31-2013, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Where did you find the $40 price? I'm not seeing it on their site.
post #4 of 111 Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM

You can find them on eBay for around that if you are vigilant. $75 if you wanted to buy it now. They came in special edition Madden games this year.
post #5 of 111 Old 08-31-2013, 11:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I don't know about DirectTV service, but I'm assuming it's similar if not the same as NFL's Game Pass. Personally, I think it's the same service, but just billed through DirectTV because of contract between the NFL and DirectTV. Here's some comparison shots of NFL Game Pass I put on YouTube to local TV on my 55" HDTV.

If my assumption is correct, you'll have HD picture. Decent sound. No 5.1 audio. It's not as high of a bit rate as OTA/cable/satellite TV. Some people complain about it being skippy. I don't notice it, but I don't have the greatest of eye sight. Could be because of difference in refresh rate of the feed versus what the TV can process.

I suspect you'll be happy with it. The only thing you may not realize, you'll be subject to blackout rules. So you'll won't get Monday Night Football, Sunday Night Football or any games being broadcast locally, so no Denver game. This is what's nice about the NFL Game Pass, depending on region. It's just take a trick or two to get it to work in the USA.
post #6 of 111 Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads up on this deal (probably should have been posted in the services thread). I am going to try it out. Looks like one option is to buy the game for $99 on Amazon, keep the coupon, and sell the game on Ebay.

I wonder if the influx of users will impact quality?
post #7 of 111 Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news-updates-gameplay/article/anniversary-edition-sunday-ticket

The game cost $99 but comes with sunday ticket

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 111 Old 09-03-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not even seeing an option to buy the sunday ticket without full directv service. This madden game appears to give you that, without needing to be a direct TV subscriber.

-

post #9 of 111 Old 09-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I am not even seeing an option to buy the sunday ticket without full directv service. This madden game appears to give you that, without needing to be a direct TV subscriber.

A little publicized clause allows you to get the on-line version of Sunday Ticket from Directv if you cannot receive it due to line of sight or other issues, but it cost $300.00. The Madden game coupon gives you what they call "trial access" to the service for one season.

http://www.amazon.com/Madden-Anniversary-Edition-Sunday-Xbox-360/dp/B00CF7KVMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378237137&sr=8-1&keywords=madden+sunday+ticket
post #10 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

And you get the game for $99.

I really would rather spend $20 extra on just the Sunday ticket... I don't want the game.

How can I ?

-

post #11 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Could I buy just the PC part on my dads direct TV account ?

-

post #12 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And you get the game for $99.

I really would rather spend $20 extra on just the Sunday ticket... I don't want the game.

How can I ?

Buy the game, take the coupon, sell the game on Ebay for $40. Total cost to you = $60 + effort.
Otherwise, if you can find a seller of just the coupon on Ebay, buy that as the OP discussed.

If your Dad has Sunday Ticket, he should also have online access already. You could "test" his username and PW for him to see if it works.
post #13 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

No my dad had directv but not Sunday ticket

Ill check eBay ... I haven't seen any of the coupons tho

-

post #14 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Mfusick. I do this dance with Directv every year. Call up as your dad and finagle free Superfan/SundayTicket. Then take the online access from him. My brother does this with me as he is a Chiefs fan living in NYC.
post #15 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What would I say ?

-

post #16 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What would I say ?

Typically goes something like ... local cable company X is offering me a sweet deal I don't think I can pass up. I am thinking about switching, but wanted to give you guys a chance to keep me as a customer......

Then work them.
post #17 of 111 Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I just bought the madden game lol

-

post #18 of 111 Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Buy the game, take the coupon, sell the game on Ebay for $40. Total cost to you = $60 + effort.
Otherwise, if you can find a seller of just the coupon on Ebay, buy that as the OP discussed.

If your Dad has Sunday Ticket, he should also have online access already. You could "test" his username and PW for him to see if it works.

I just got the game for NFL Sunday Ticket at $99 since I don't have a Pay TV provider/DirecTV it seems like a steal! I then sold the unused game for $60. I tried the phone streaming last week and it seemed fine. Will update on the online streaming to HTPC this Sunday! Sorry for the late reply, have been out of town.
post #19 of 111 Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

All of the NFL games streamed like a gem today & looked just fine on the 65″ HDTV connected to the Home Theater PC! I would say the HD quality is not quite as good as the 1080 HD from my OTA antenna when watching local NFL games, but was still HD and looked good-maybe even as good as if you payed for DirecTV and watched on your TV directly. Login was as expected, through the normal DirecTV online customer interface-even though I am obviously not a customer… The Red Zone Channel is awesome and the User Interface worked well to easily switch between games. Over all I am very happy with my streaming experience and think this NFL Sunday Ticket & Red Zone deal is the best one I have ever seen. I basically got it almost free after selling the game itself back, and I never paid a dime to DirecTV!
post #20 of 111 Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What speed Internet do you have ?

-

post #21 of 111 Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

I have 20mb download and I thought the quality was pretty decent. Somewhere between 480 and 720p, which is all I expected.Watching on my 55 in TV was "good enough". It looks pretty good on smaller displays.

Had some trouble signing on yesterday at 1:00. I think they got a little overloaded, but later on no problems.
post #22 of 111 Old 09-09-2013, 09:42 AM

Liked: 27
I have a 50 mb connection (Comcast Blast) and it was pretty good. I also watched on my phone as I was travelling and the quality there was excellent (though holy crap it ate up bandwidth!)

I didn't have the login issues others had because I didn't start watching until 2ish. Looks like the Amazon deal is sold out though.
post #23 of 111 Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

I also have 50 MBPS. I would say it was 720ish HD. Kind of like I expected the smaller the screen the better it looked. I logged in early morning without issue. I did have an issue trying to login from another PC, but I assume that was because they only let you login 1x on 1 machine? Amazon deal is gone, unless you can find one used, or you could do NFL Rewind for after the games air or NFL Game Pass if you are out of the US.
post #24 of 111 Old 09-09-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 192
This is what I had set up yesterday. My htpc was feeding the far left tv, the one in the middle was running right off an antenna, and the one on the right was going thru WMC on my 360

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #25 of 111 Old 09-09-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

nice ^

-

post #26 of 111 Old 09-10-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

This is what I had set up yesterday. My htpc was feeding the far left tv, the one in the middle was running right off an antenna, and the one on the right was going thru WMC on my 360

That's what I am talking about! Did the TV in the middle survive that brutal game from the Steelers? eek.gif
post #27 of 111 Old 09-10-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetvEE View Post

That's what I am talking about! Did the TV in the middle survive that brutal game from the Steelers? eek.gif

It survived, albeit with torn ACL and MCL, just like several players.

I was bummed I didn't get a game on Fox at 1pm, but I was reading the broadcast rules online and that was because the Steelers were playing at home. I guess if they had been on the road Fox could've shown a game (I assumed I'd get the Saints) but doesn't have to. I wish I couldve brought up the Sports section and used the right one as a scoreboard, but that didn't fly. I eventually routed my fantasy scoreboard to it.

The one on the left didn't fair much better with the Pirates on.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #28 of 111 Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Over all I am very happy with my streaming experience and think this NFL Sunday Ticket & Red Zone deal is the best one I have ever seen. I basically got it almost free after selling the game itself back, and I never paid a dime to DirecTV!

freetvEE,

Definitely the best deal, I accidentally bought a copy for XBOX360 which I was going to return to Amazon but after seeing that they were sold out, I checked EBay's prices. Holy Cr*p!

I immediately placed it on EBay and 4 hrs later it was sold. Paid for both games and enough extra for a nice night out!
post #29 of 111 Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not sure if I want to keep the game or not... I might try it then sell it. lol

-

post #30 of 111 Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

... I was bummed I didn't get a game on Fox at 1pm, but I was reading the broadcast rules online and that was because the Steelers were playing at home. I guess if they had been on the road Fox could've shown a game (I assumed I'd get the Saints) but doesn't have to. ...

The rules are actually pretty simple in regards to blackout rules for online video. If it is on your local TV, then it's blacked out. Thus, if you're in Pittsburgh area, all Steeler games will be blacked out; I assume some local channel airs all their games. The exception, if the game is blacked outed on local TV because of the NFL's blackout rules, it'll still be blacked out.

There may be some exceptions for some of the national games such as Monday Night football, but there would be because of some other arrangements between the NFL, DirectTV and whatever channel carries it, in my possible example, ESPN.

I'm assuming the DirectTV service is only available in the USA, so trying to spoof location isn't going to work. For local games that are not nationally televised, such as Monday Night Football, if you can get get an IP outside your area, say Los Angeles, you'll be able to watch the game. I suggest using a VPN service. There are some free services, which I don't know how well will work for you. If you're able to shut down the VPN after launching the DirectTV service, then that may be a good solution for you. I believe the DirectTV has some kind of mobile app. If so, and you can connect your mobile to your TV, you could try to see if you can use a GPS spoofer to achieve the same thing. Some mobile apps will check for the IP or both IP and GPS to make sure you're out of market.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page