Synology NAS vs building HTPC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a Synology 412+ NAS that I use as a backup server and Plex media server.

I've been using it for a while via my Logitech revue for google tv. It has worked quite well for this purpose.

I am in the process of cancelling DirecTV and want to go purely OTA for my TV. I have the antenna built and it is getting all the channels. However I dont yet have any of the hardware for the computer (HD homerun etc) to tune them and record them.

I was wondering what you all think of my options here...should I leave the plex media server running and just sync in the computer as needed for "live / recorded tv"? or try to setup something new and sell the NAS...anyway - thanks for the thoughts in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime supports recording via DLNA to the Synology NAS. The limitation is copy protected channels, which are not a problem with OTA. You could still use your same configuration of the NAS serving up the content. If that not enough due lacking guide, etc, then build a dedicated HTPC. The Synology NAS is very reliable as a WMC recording drive using iSCSI too.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

The SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime supports recording via DLNA to the Synology NAS. The limitation is copy protected channels, which are not a problem with OTA. You could still use your same configuration of the NAS serving up the content. If that not enough due lacking guide, etc, then build a dedicated HTPC. The Synology NAS is very reliable as a WMC recording drive using iSCSI too.

I do get an interesting "quasi guide" from google tv...but I dont have a way to manage the recordings. Can that be done via another computer? Via the HD homerun?

Is it able to buffer sports etc...handle season recordings. Can you schedule recordings from another App or phone or anything like that?
post #4 of 4 Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
No to all of the above. You would need a front end to get guide and true DVR functionality. I recommended looking at the SiliconDust forums for project connect for more specific information.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=47
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page