Has Ceton moved on to Greener Pastures? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-03-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
It would appear that Ceton has moved on and good for them as WMC is a dead end long term, right?
Quote:
“Ceton is excited to join the AVnu Alliance and support our shared goals for the advancement of high-quality consumer audio and video networking,” said Gary Hammer, president and CEO, Ceton Corp. “As a company focused on creating the next-generation of consumer entertainment technologies, we believe that low cost and simple to setup and maintain solutions like those enabled by the AVB standard are critical to realizing our vision for amazing new whole-home entertainment experiences.”

http://www.avnu.org/news_and_events/press_release_new_member_august_2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Not sure why you or anyone over at TGB thinks this has anything to do with consumer WMC support, this sounds more like new business in the commercial line that they already have.

We won't know anything until they announce the future of the Echo, I think. They have said that they will continue to support it even though Android's dead but who knows if that means new firmware or not.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I view it as another line of business for them. No one would have said Microsoft was abandoning Windows when they started producing Office.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Not sure why you or anyone over at TGB thinks this has anything to do with consumer WMC support, this sounds more like new business in the commercial line that they already have.

We won't know anything until they announce the future of the Echo, I think. They have said that they will continue to support it even though Android's dead but who knows if that means new firmware or not.

While I am sure that they are going to keep going with their Commercial (read: Hotel, Hospital, etc?) stuff the press release states, “As a company focused on creating the next-generation of consumer entertainment technologies..." and, "“Ceton is excited to join the AVnu Alliance and support our shared goals for the advancement of high-quality consumer audio and video networking,” So that sounds like a consumer based product to me. The press release also makes mention of their PC Tuners, "Ceton, the worldwide leader in digital cable tuner solutions for the PC and manufacturer of in-home digital entertainment and communication solutions." I am wondering if they are going to leverage their commercial software client for delivering DTCP-IP-protected content using InfiniTV Pro tuners into the consumer space and do away with using WMC once and for all by developing another PVR and client solution not tied to what MS does.

post #5 of 5 Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

I view it as another line of business for them. No one would have said Microsoft was abandoning Windows when they started producing Office.

Well Office requires an OS of some sort and initially Office was only on Windows IIR. That said, I agree. They are going to go down a new line of business, maybe with some sort of PVR/streamer device as I postulated above but I am merely guessing what they are up to here.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page