New media server dvr and htpc house setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using WMC for several years on a single tv. I have moved into a new house and want to be able to stream to several tvs off of a media server.

My current htpc is an old pentium 4 and have used a ceton infinttv. I recently sold this, and have bought a hdhomerun prime.

I have a cableone cable card, for hd tv. I dont plan on getting any premium channels like hbo. I have a 1 gb wired ethernet.

What I want to do is to stream live tv and movie rips to at least two tvs and to other pc laptops and an ipad.

My plan is turn the pentium 4 into a server and put whs 2011 on it as well as flex raid.

I have bought this: Gigabyte BRIX Intel HM77 Mini Booksize Barebone System - Black (GB-XM12-3227) with a 128 ssd and 4 gb of ram.

I plan on taking the win 7 license from the old htpc and putting it on this new gigabyte system and putting whs 2011 on the old htpc

So my question is:

For the dvr, do I use the gigabyte htpc to record and then save the files on the server, because WHS doesnt have wmc.... Or should I keep WIndows 7 on the server and record on the server and just stream out to the gigabyte htpc. I have no idea how to use VM on whs

I plan on upgrading the server either immediately or in the next few months to a :
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard -75
Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz -200

If I upgrade the server now, and keep win 7 on the server, is the gigabyte htpc overkill? Could I use a roku box or some software solution on my panasonic st50 tv dlna to stream live tv from the server to the tv'S instead of this gigabyte htpc?

I have not tried plex or serviio so I am unsure of what they are capable of doing.

So what would you do? Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh8 View Post

For the dvr, do I use the gigabyte htpc to record and then save the files on the server, because WHS doesnt have wmc.... Or should I keep WIndows 7 on the server and record on the server and just stream out to the gigabyte htpc. I have no idea how to use VM on whs

I plan on upgrading the server either immediately or in the next few months to a :
ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard -75

If I upgrade the server now, and keep win 7 on the server, is the gigabyte htpc overkill? Could I use a roku box or some software solution on my panasonic st50 tv dlna to stream live tv from the server to the tv'S instead of this gigabyte htpc?

I have not tried plex or serviio so I am unsure of what they are capable of doing.

Recording on the Win7 PC and then moving then shows to the server is probably the simplest.

You can get a plugin for WMC to do this like TVArchive
http://www.wegotserved.com/2012/05/21/windows-home-server-2011-step-step-part-18-managing-tv-recordings-windows-media-center/

WMC will pick up the shows from the server directly if you add the server directory to the media library for TV shows inside WMC.

The HDHomerun prime has a built in DLNA server, so you might be able to watch live directly off the Roku or Panasonic without having to go thru the PC.
The DLNA server in the prime is a little quirky so there is some degree of experimentation. I have it running on a PS3 without issue but not on some of the newer versions of XBMC
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. After looking around online yesterday I decided to turn my current pentium 4 htpc into a server and upgrade it next month

I decided to buy this laptop:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXKSQOW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan on mounting this behind my tv and using this as my htpc.

This ends up being cheaper than this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D19J53A/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which ended up being about 480 after buying ram, a ssd and win 7.

For the server I am trying to decide between a celeron processor or getting an i5 to do transoding on plex or mb3 for the ipad. It seems overkill as most of the time i will be watching on this new laptop htpc.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

For the server I am trying to decide between a celeron processor or getting an i5 to do transcoding on plex or mb3 for the ipad. It seems overkill as most of the time i will be watching on this new laptop htpc.

The i5 has more CPU performance, a commercial indexing and removal tool might find some use for the extra CPU power

These tools index the WTV stream to help you skip the commercials. It can work with trancoders to skip the ads completely when re-encoding.
This runs on the server and runs after the show is transferred to the server directory

Th most common ones are comskip and show analyzer
http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/
http://www.dragonglobal.biz/showanalyzer.html

This addin in WMC will read the index files and skip the ads automatically
http://babgvant.com/wiki/view.aspx/dvrmstoolbox/commercial_skip_addin
Old 09-09-2013, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have used the comskip on my old htpc with success. I think my plan now is to use some parts from the old htpc and make a server.

I plan on this:

NZXT Technologies Source 210 Computer Case (Black) - NZXT Technologies $39.99

Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX600) - Corsair $66.24

Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53470 - Intel $190.29

AS Rock PRO4-M LGA1155 Intel H77 Quad CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 A V GbE MATX Motherboard H77 - ASRock $89.99

Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB (1x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B) - Corsair $37.99

total 424

This is all from amazon for convenience.

I am trying to decide still whether to put win 7 on it or whs 2011. I plan on buying Flex raid for 60.

I have a 128 ssd that I will use and a couple of hd that i plan on putting in it for storage.

Anything people would change or switch in the build?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

So I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXKSQOW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for 320, but it looks like it has now gone up in price.

Anyway I was trying to buy wmc for it which I thought was 9.99 but it seems that I have to upgrade to window 8 pro first for 100. That seems pretty expensive just to get wmc.

Is that true? Can I not get wmc on windows 8 basic? If not maybe I should stick with NUC that I bought but was going to return...

Any other way around this?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I have been using WMC for several years on a single tv. I have moved into a new house and want to be able to stream to several tvs off of a media server.

My current htpc is an old pentium 4 and have used a ceton infinttv. I recently sold this, and have bought a hdhomerun prime.

I have a cableone cable card, for hd tv. I dont plan on getting any premium channels like hbo. I have a 1 gb wired ethernet.

What I want to do is to stream live tv and movie rips to at least two tvs and to other pc laptops and an ipad.

My plan is turn the pentium 4 into a server and put whs 2011 on it as well as flex raid.

I have bought this: Gigabyte BRIX Intel HM77 Mini Booksize Barebone System - Black (GB-XM12-3227) with a 128 ssd and 4 gb of ram.

I plan on taking the win 7 license from the old htpc and putting it on this new gigabyte system and putting whs 2011 on the old htpc

So my question is:

Why not just use WMC and media center extenders? Seems like it was designed for that. This way you don't have to move anything, you can schedule and view recordings from any TV, and the guide is unified between all TV's.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. What extenders to you use that can still have live tv off of my hdhomerun?

Echo? Xbox?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

I bought the following: I realize the ram is a little fast but it was cheaper than the 1600 ram.

ASROCK H87M PRO4 LGA1150 R

Intel Core i5-4430

4Gx2 G.SKILL F3-2400C11D-8GAB R

I plan on having an ssd and 2 data HD with adding 3 more later.

I bought both of these power supplies.

PSU CORSAIR | CX430M 430W R
PSU CORSAIR | CX750 750W

I imagine the 430 will be fine for my existing set up. With a total of 6 HD will it be enough?

If I plan on going up to 10 hdd total, will the 430 still be enough or should I get the 750?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 389
H87 chipset does not support DDR3-2400. You will need Z87. (DDR3-2400 is good for SVP, for example.)

430W is enough for 10 HDDs.