what pixel format to use when connected with hdmi? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
primarily watching videos and blurays on a Panasonic pz85u plasma. when i use a dvi to hdmi cable, everything looks great but blurays in Total media theater become washed out. Mkv files in Mpchc look great. if i use anydvd and play blurays through mpchc, the brighness /contrast is also perfect. it's only when i play through tmt that things dont work properly.

i wonder if hooking the tv up with hdmi to hdmi and setting it to limited range will fix this isse. should i be selecting the 4:2:2 ycbcr setting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 02:40 AM
Qaq

Liked: 12
DVI means RGB as far as i know. Good for MPC-HC and bad for TMT and Panny TVs (bad RGB support).
Your TV is old and doesn't support YCbCr 4:4:4 in Direct mode, right? In that case your best option is HDMI-HDMI, YCbCr 4:2:2, TMT in my opinion.
You can also play with black level in the TV.

Burned by the Audio Inquisition
post #3 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

not sure if it supports 4:4:4 but colors /brightness look fantastic in Mpchc. i cant change the pixel format when using dvi to hdmi however... no option for it in the amd control panel.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 344
DVI with a generic DVI-HDMI adapter supports only Full-range RGB (and no audio, i.e. it is strictly DVI). DVI with this AMD-proprietary adapter is equivalent to HDMI and supports all four pixel formats and audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocketAzzWIPE View Post

i wonder if hooking the tv up with hdmi to hdmi and setting it to limited range will fix this isse.

Yup, that's it (at least in my environment).
post #5 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so i'm using a generic dvi to hdmi and I'm sure it's running at RGB full and to be honest, I don't notice a difference between hdmi-hdmi in 4:2:2 limited compared to RGB full on dvi-hdmi. This is after I set the brightness to 16-235+ using one of the calibration videos.

The only thing I noticed when I switched to 4:2:2 limited was that the embedded videos on the internet, including netflix, became brighter and seemed to show properly -in desktop mode, but it screwed up the colors in Modern UI. The only reason I'm using Modern UI in Windows 8 is for the Netflix app....it displays movies at a slightly higher bitrate of 3850kb/s compared to 3000kb/s in desktop mode.

Why is setting all this up so difficult? Why cant I have everything showing at a consistent brightness/contrast?
post #6 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

can somebody tell me why this happens:
if the signal is being sent as full rgb, in madvr if i set the levels to 16-235, the brghtness/ contrast go out of whack. if i set madvr to 0-255, then everything gets clipped below 16 and above 235 and no amount of brigness/contrast control with madvr will bring blacklevels up below 16...it just makes 17 and up bright as hell and 0-16 remain black. same with whites... i dont see lick after 235. I dont understand this behaviour. In Evr custom i dont have this issue at 0-255.... if i crank video brightness in amd control panel, i can make 0-16 and beyond light up and same with 235-255...they flash without issues.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 107
This is how its supposed to work. In a properly calibrated madVR system with Full RGB output, you're not supposed to see 0-15 or 236-255. 16 is black, and anything below is also black, and 235 is white, and everything above as well. It'll use the full rgb range of 0-255 to represent these values, so that your display gets 0 as black, and 255 as white, anything between 0-16 is then "lost", but there isn't really any information there anyway (some people will argue there is, but on a properly calibrated display you wouldn't be able to see them anyway, so whats the point? unless you sacrifice black or white level to be see BTB or WTW, which is a bad idea as well)

If you then calibrate your display so that you can just barely make out differences between 16 and 17 (go down to where there is no difference anymore, and then slowly go up until you can just make out a difference), and the same for 234/235, then you're done, and have a properly calibrated display.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

This is how its supposed to work. In a properly calibrated madVR system with Full RGB output, you're not supposed to see 0-15 or 236-255. 16 is black, and anything below is also black, and 235 is white, and everything above as well. It'll use the full rgb range of 0-255 to represent these values, so that your display gets 0 as black, and 255 as white, anything between 0-16 is then "lost", but there isn't really any information there anyway (some people will argue there is, but on a properly calibrated display you wouldn't be able to see them anyway, so whats the point? unless you sacrifice black or white level to be see BTB or WTW, which is a bad idea as well)

If you then calibrate your display so that you can just barely make out differences between 16 and 17 (go down to where there is no difference anymore, and then slowly go up until you can just make out a difference), and the same for 234/235, then you're done, and have a properly calibrated display.

Gotcha...thanks for the explanation.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-14-2013, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

So I finally gave up on Total Media Theater and installed PowerDVD. I hate PowerDVD because it tries to take over every aspect of your OS...I held off as long as I could trying to make TMT work but I couldn't.

PowerDVD works fine with full rgb settings in Catalyst Control Center ...TMT always runs in a low contrast/high brightness (grey blacks) setting no matter what I tried to set in the video card settings. It's a crying shame...such a great piece of software otherwise.

Oh well...cest la vie.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page