HDMI bitstreaming DD/DTS HD from PC to Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning to upgrade my receiver to one that supports DD/DTS hd formats.

My current receiver is connected to my PC via a coaxial SPDIF on an auzentech x-plosion soundcard. This card passes through the digital stream from movies and also encodes stereo to DD or DTS 5.1 to carry to the receiver. I also have a Geforce 8800 GTS card (5 years old) which is connected to my TV via DVI-HDMI

My understanding is that I will need to via HDMI from the PC to the new receiver in order to get the DD/DTS HD. But I am not sure what the best way to do this is.

Should I replace the graphics card with to one that supports HDMI bitstreaming to the receiver? Will a graphics card also encode stereo to 5.1/7.1 when I'm not watching films, eg games and music

What graphics cards support HDMI bitstreaming, it's not clear whether all Nvidia/AMD cards support this?

I don't play many games and my current card is enough to run Dota2 and the new GRID game at decent frame rates at 1360*768 res. If I had a newer graphics card perhaps I'd play more games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-11-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Pretty much any new (within the past 3 years) HDMI graphics card will bitstream HD audio.

post #3 of 3 Old 09-11-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 152
The graphics card won't encode stereo to 5.1. Normally you will bit-stream the DD and DTS then set Windows up for 2 channel pcm. The stereo tracks then will be matrix to multi-channel by the receiver and you will get untouched multi-channel for your movies.

The biggest problem is with multi-channel games. You will have to manually change Windows back to 5/7 channel lpcm when ever you want to play a game.

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page