Old dell xps400 for xbmc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Old dell being replaced and going to make it an htpc.

Video card updated just 15 minutes ago to gain hdmi and increase GPu proficiency.

Windows 7, 3gb ram, GPu listed below. I followed some online guides to even strip 7 down to strip all unnecessary features to make it run better.

This was my daily computer till about 5 days ago when I build a new i7 and it wasn't a speed demon, but it performed ok.

Before I updated the video card from the stock nvidia 6800, video playback on xbmc was unwatchable it was so choppy. The mouse would barely move when trying to watch video, etc. I was hoping the card would help with this but after installing, installing the nvidia current driver, I see no real change at all. Still unwatchable.

My dell is an xps400 from about 8 years ago.
Specs here.
http://support.dell.com/support/systemsinfo/document.aspx?s=dhs&~file=/systems/xps400/sm/specs.htm

Added this card.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089KJQKI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am unsure what route to take from here to fix it. Would the forum agree this card should perform? Any settings I can tweak to help performance?

I'll take any suggestions at this point as I am beyond frustrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 669

I have a PCI (not PCI-e) Dimension 8300 dell from 2004 that I think was manufactured 20 minutes before yours, and I'm curious about this as well.

I suspect that it's not the card or drivers.  This W7 installation has been around for a while?

Once you have enough memory (and you do), with windows machines there is a peculiar slowdown that occurs over time that everyone seems to have a theory on.  It's commonly blamed on one of the following {groan}:

• You have too much running (services/apps)
  • Your registry needs cleaning
  • Your anti-virus is slow
  • Your system isn't "really" slowing down <---love that one

And then you get the same old drum beat:

• "defrag your disk" <---crock
  • "windows doesn't get slower over time" <---crock
  • "you might have a virus" <---crock

To fault isolate this, my first instinct is this: Do you have a separate volume to install a small "test" W7?  Basically (carefully) create a new volume (or use an existing one that doesn't already have an OS on it), install a minimal W7 on it (with the software you want), and test the results.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 07:33 AM

Liked: 31
my guess would be a setting in XBMC(hardware acceleration) or maybe you have a codec pack installed that is trying to overirde XBMC.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-12-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I'm new to xbmc so I will go through the setting and see if something catches my eye..

As far as the codec issue, clean install, nothing else installed on the pc. Would this codec come from windows install via media player possibly?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 02:50 AM

No but if you haven't changed the settings under video playback for HW Acceleration than ill bet thats your issue. I think if you look under the xbmc guide it shows this step.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Video card and setup should be fine (hardware wise)

Software steps should be
-settings-video-playback-enable dxva2
Also
-settings-audio- enable disable as appropriate for your setup

Then you'll need to begin playing a video and open the context menu
Context video settings should have deinterlace set to auto and the render method can be set to dxva here as well. Then apply to all videos
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Video card and setup should be fine (hardware wise)

Software steps should be
-settings-video-playback-enable dxva2
Also
-settings-audio- enable disable as appropriate for your setup

Then you'll need to begin playing a video and open the context menu
Context video settings should have deinterlace set to auto and the render method can be set to dxva here as well. Then apply to all videos

Shouldn't this be something that XBMX supplies "out of the box"?  Seems hard to imagine that most folks wouldn't want this by default.  No?

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM

no because different pc setups use different forms of hardware acceleration, i thought nvidia uses cuda??
post #9 of 9 Old 09-13-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtt485 View Post

no because different pc setups use different forms of hardware acceleration, i thought nvidia uses cuda??

Yes, but from application space it doesn't matter in the least (or at least I don't see how it can).  The OS hands the graphics calls off down multiple layers until it reaches the hardware.  That should be configured automatically by the drivers, with or without XBMC getting in the way.

When I write a graphics application, even when it's heavy hitting, I don't worry about the card underneath it all, or at least I shouldn't.  And XBMC shouldn't be configured to bypass it with fully software rendering by default.

I suppose I don't understand this still.  :-/

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page