hdmi video capture pci / pcie card - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently I use the firewire output on a DVR to occasionally transfer video from the DVR to a PC. We're considering a DVR upgrade, but the new DVR doesn't have 1394 output, so I'm considering getting a HDMI video capture card for the PC. SInce I rarely do this (2 or 3 times a year), I don't need a high end capture card, but would want one that could capture 1080p with reasonable quality. The computer is an Intel 2600K, 3.4ghz, multi-boot with Win XP or Win 7 64 bit. Hard drives are Seagate 2TB Barracuda XT drives which should have a fast enough streaming write rate to not be an issue.

I'm hoping someone here can offer some advice on these capture cards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-11-2013, 11:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 316
There is always a HDCP problem. Some capture cards made in China and Korea can bypass it (as expected smile.gif). For example, SKYHD CaptureX HDMI (1080P). English information.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I"m not sure if HDCP would affect me. We don't have any movie channels or pay per view channels enabled. Just over the air stuff, and the basic cable channels like cnn, espn, ... , and as mentioned, I rarely do this, maybe 2 or 3 times a year if there's something interesting that I want to archive on my computer. I had the impression that copy protected stuff wouldn't go out the 1394 interface of a DVR, which is what I've been using so far without any issues. Apparently HDCP this doesn't affect component capture, which would probably be good enough for the rare times I'd do this.

The only reason for switching to a new DVR is if there turns out we would want to record more than 2 channels at the same time, which sometimes happens because some program doesn't on the hour but a minute or two afterwards.

update - turns out that switching to the dvr would increase our cox cable bill by $25 / month so we won't be switching for now, but at least I'm aware of the HDCP issues. Thanks for the reply.
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page