Need advice: Rebuilding Mom's HTPC for 3D (case and PSU and GPU card advice needed) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Hi All,

I built my parents a cheap HTPC they have enjoyed for the last year. The current machine is:

G630 CPU
Asrock Z68 mobo
120GB vertex 3 SSD
4TB Seagate storage (old 5 platter version)
8GB ddr3 1600mhz.
Crappy desktop case and PSU.

I'm in process of rebuilding it mostly because my dad has a new EPSON 1080p projector that does 3D with glasses and he's interested in using it.

I'm torn on what to do or how to do it. I could add a GPU card for 3D support, or I could swap put the CPU with a 3D capable CPU. Since its older Z68 I am wondering if I'd have to flash the bios to support ivy bridge ? Worth it over just getting a cheap GPU?

The monkey wrench is that I think I want to change the form factor to a HTPC style component case from the desktop case so my dad can locate it on a shelf with his AVR. (Denon AVR3313IC) (Both are in a laundry closet and hidden).

I'd like a low profile case (height) but that messes up GPU card choices because I need to make sure the GPU fits. Otherwise integrated CPU 3D leaves this as non issue.

Lastly - I'm looking for max value here. My parents are not very discerning about these matters or well educated on differences. The cost and simplicity is paramount.

What's good case and PSU (deals available?)
What's best way to get 3D? GPU card and keep G630 CPU ? Which GPU card ? (No MADVR needed). Or, which high value CPU ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 125
mini-ITX the whole way. Trust me. Mom will love you more than if you build her a big beige tower.

BTW, motherboard model number will help with suggesting a case.

post #3 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

mini-ITX the whole way. Trust me. Mom will love you more than if you build her a big beige tower.

BTW, motherboard model number will help with suggesting a case.

ATX or M-ATX tongue.gif Sorry I thought I said that.... lol.

I can actually pick out a case... just wondering more how to match up the GPU card and the case (without going full height) so I guess I am asking what is a good GPU card that can do half height and 3D without spending too much. (CHEAP!) They will never do madvr or games. Or, is it better to grab a CPU instead of GPU.

Opinions ?

I can pick out a case and PSU, but I would love pointers on specific models and why, and most importantly pointers on good sales or available deals. I could actually keep the case I guess... and go full height GPU but that takes up space in mom's laundry closet. lol. It's half laundry and half electronics. The DirecTV receiver, bluray, router, switch, surround receiver are all located there so it's a good place for a HTPC. I am really pretty flexible on the case. I guess I am confusing the issue by asking about that.

GPU vs CPU ? What say you ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I think I want to change the form factor to a HTPC style component case from the desktop case so my dad can locate it on a shelf with his AVR. (Denon AVR3313IC) (Both are in a laundry closet and hidden).
If the AVR is hidden in a laundry closet, why bother? Or bring the AVR out and keep the HTPC hidden.

Also, software is the real monkey wrench on 3D (IMO). It's not worth the fuss for me, and I feel like I'd use it 2-3 times right after I got everything setup (and to show off) then never again.

If it were my parents, I'd try a GT 610 and a trial PDVD13 or TMT to see how they like it. It seems like the 610 is acceptable, but hopefully Renethx will weigh in with his many pearls of 3D wisdom
post #5 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

If the AVR is hidden in a laundry closet, why bother? Or bring the AVR out and keep the HTPC hidden.

Also, software is the real monkey wrench on 3D (IMO). It's not worth the fuss for me, and I feel like I'd use it 2-3 times right after I got everything setup (and to show off) then never again.

If it were my parents, I'd try a GT 610 and a trial PDVD13 or TMT to see how they like it. It seems like the 610 is acceptable, but hopefully Renethx will weigh in with his many pearls of 3D wisdom

yeah I was hoping he would show up biggrin.gif

The only reason to swap cases it to put it on the AV rack shelfs and free up the bigger shelf for other crap (laundry detergent lol )

I built the PC when it was in another location, I would have went with a component style if I knew then it would end up here. My dad wanted everything moved here.

-

post #6 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Adding a discrete card is easier and cheaper. E.g. Sapphire HD 6570 (100323-2L), $40 AR, (a low-profile bracket included).

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thank you biggrin.gif That's what I was thinking

-

post #8 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What's best player for 3D ?

-

post #9 of 17 Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 53
either TMT or PowerDVD. I prefer TMT just cause it blends/integrates better with WMC.
post #10 of 17 Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
+1 for TMT. Seamless integration with WMC/MB, just like MPC-HC. Harmony remote commands worked right out of the gate too.
post #11 of 17 Old 09-27-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What is the best way to get it ? Is it just for ISO or disk playback ? How about F-SBS or H-SBS MKV's ?? What player for those ?

-

post #12 of 17 Old 09-27-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

ISO works best. Ripping (actually re-encoding) in SBS (full or half) is not so good: takes a long time, a larger file (full) or resolution halved (half). If you want to rip in MKV, use MakeMKV, that will keep MVC. But TMT does not support this format, PowerDVD does, so does Stereoscopic Player.

-

-
post #13 of 17 Old 09-28-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx View Post

Adding a discrete card is easier and cheaper. E.g. Sapphire HD 6570 (100323-2L), $40 AR, (a low-profile bracket included).

Would an Intel g1610 and this card do 3d?
post #14 of 17 Old 09-28-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ISO works best. Ripping (actually re-encoding) in SBS (full or half) is not so good: takes a long time, a larger file (full) or resolution halved (half). If you want to rip in MKV, use MakeMKV, that will keep MVC. But TMT does not support this format, PowerDVD does, so does Stereoscopic Player.

Awesome ! I will check it out. Mom and Dad are in FL for two weeks and I want to go get this set up before my dad comes home (and supervises me rolleyes.gif )

He really wants to try 3D and get it working because his new projector (Epson) came with some 3D glasses. Personally I am not that interested in doing 3D myself, and I am assuming this is one of those things where I spend a day setting it up, and $50 on a GPU card for their HTPC but it basically goes unused. Oh well.. tongue.gif

-

post #15 of 17 Old 09-28-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post

Quote:

Would an Intel g1610 and this card do 3d?

Yes.

MVC (BR 3D codec) decoding:

ISO/ODD+TMT/PowerDVD: decoding is done by UVD in GPU, so any processor should be good.
MKV+PowerDVD/Stereoscopic Player: decoding is done by CPU, G1610 is fast enough.

Frame packing 3D output:

The Radeon card can do this.

-

-
post #16 of 17 Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I have a question....

Does the performance of something like a $60 3.0gz dual core Pentium with a $40 Radeon for a total price $90-$140 as a combo have better performance than an i3 for same total price ? On matters of MADVR ? 3D or Gaming ?

Would a 6570 + a dual core beat out an upper level i3 ?

-

post #17 of 17 Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Where has renethx been ?

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page