What is the ultimate media center frontend for my use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am totaly lost here trying to find the ultimate frontend for my HTPC, so please help me on my way:-)

This is what I want from my HTPC, and I want it all to be controlled from a frontend program using a remote controll

- Play music using Spotify or Wimp. A integration with last.fm is a bonus
- Watch all available video format in 1080p. The library must be updated with information about the movie, nice cover and trailer available to watch. The same goes for TV-series
- Have a menu with available games installed on the computer with information, cover and a shortcut to start the game from the frontend.
- Youtube
- Stream soccer, MMA and other sports events live

If possible I also want the ability to watch live tv using a tv card. It must support EPG, recording and pause. Alternatively it must show EPG and let me remote control the tv tuner using a ir transmitter of some sort. So when I watch the EPG and choose to record next episode of walking dead it sends the command to my tuner to record the correct show at the correct time.

For now I am using MediaPortal with tv-server, moving pictures and tv-series plugin. This works ok, but I cant use spotify, no streaming for sports events and youtube and trailers dont work most of the time.

So please help me. What do I need to get most of this into one good looking frontend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-14-2013, 10:32 PM

Liked: 148
The only front end that allows use of a cable card for TV shows that are marked Copy Once is Microsoft's Windows Media Center. No other front end can handle the protected shows.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Ditto sounds like you are talking about WMC that is what I use not sure about Spotify and last FM in WMC probably can do it somehow but the rest *should* be covered.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #4 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

I am already using Mediaportal with my FloppyDTV DVB-C card and it is working perfectly. Don`t think there are any copy protection for tv shows here i Norway and that's why it works.

I found a spotify plugin for MCE, any one tested it? Spotify MCE

For tv shows and movies, is Mediabrowser the way to go?

How about getting trailers for my movies, youtube and streaming sports events?

One last thing, MCE for Windows 7 or 8?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 AM

Liked: 148
MCE for Win7 and Win8 are almost identical. They will look and act the same to you, the changes are all under the hood and have to do with how it interacts with the base OS.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Sure, but will the needed plugin work on windows 7 and windows 8?
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by svortevik View Post

Sure, but will the needed plugin work on windows 7 and windows 8?
Most do. ATM, MyMovies is broken in 8.1. And of course non-Xbox extenders won't work with Win 8, if that applies to you. I personally would stick with Win 7 on an HTPC for the most hardware and software compatibility. I ran Win 8 for a while on my HTPC and had to roll back to 7 due to extender incompatibilities and a few other issues. You can always upgrade later once all the issues are ironed out. The main problem is many 3rd party WMC plugins ceased development long ago. So if 8 or 8.1 breaks them, they will never work again because there is no longer anyone around to fix them.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

The only front end that allows use of a cable card for TV shows that are marked Copy Once is Microsoft's Windows Media Center. No other front end can handle the protected shows.

You can use a remote pretty easily and affordable with WMC (it's standard for many at this point ). You will have the choice of a tablet or smart phone program like irule, or a hard remote like a logitech. You can buy cheap ones under $20 that work good and some with IR blaster. You can even go full custom route with a URC color screen remote with mapped buttons. Many options for control- but those are questions you might want to explore in the remote forum.

Your choices are:

IR
RF
WIFI

There is products that do all. IR is cheapest and easiest but will require line of sight. RF and WIFI can be more costly or more complicated solutions to set up or purchase- but they can work without line of sight.

As for WMC- you can use a front end like MEDIABROWSER2 or MEDIABROWSER3 Classic inside of WMC for a really nice front end experience. There is ways to integrate youtube, netflix, pandora etc... into WMC too. The DVR and TV guides should also be no problem for the live TV or DVR stuff.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page