HTPC is down. Help please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm running Windows 7 on my HTPC and I keep getting this error on start up:

The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I pulled out my system repair disc and was able to get it going last night. I did a reboot from a system image. That seemed to work until today. I'm not sure what I'm doing or looking for, so any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sounds like disk problems. I'd schedule a full chkdsk on boot, and then try (within Windows, Admin command prompt) sfc /scannow. Worth a shot.
post #3 of 28 Old 09-14-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. But how do I do that. I was able to restore it again via the system image. Windows is installed on my ssd and in the repair menu that drive didn't show up before I did the restore.
post #4 of 28 Old 09-14-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Can you see your SSD in the bios ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #5 of 28 Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

I do see it in bios
post #6 of 28 Old 09-14-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 151
There were some SSD's that needed a firmware flash because they were disappearing at random..

post #7 of 28 Old 09-14-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mine is an OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
post #8 of 28 Old 09-16-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Usually those just disappear and never return ... Lol

If you see it in bios it's probably fine.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #9 of 28 Old 09-16-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefejt View Post

Mine is an OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have the same exact drive. Flashed it as soon as I received it. Haven't had issues. Has been in service for almost 3 years now.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
post #10 of 28 Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I know. I have one too biggrin.gif No issues here either. Good cheap SSD.

It was more a tongue in cheek joke- as when OCZ SSD drives with that controller fail they usually disappear from BIOS. That's the common failure anyways. I am trying to understand if his trouble was is OS drive or elsewhere. It appears something else.

-

post #11 of 28 Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

The error keeps occurring. I get the computer back and running using a recovery disk and a system image stored on my secondary hard drive.

What would you suggest? Would flashing the drive remove all data?
post #12 of 28 Old 09-29-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Out of curiousity, what does happen when OS if the SSD dies. I have Windows 7 on my SSD, If that dies, do I need to go and buy windows 7 again?
post #13 of 28 Old 09-29-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not worried about the OS. I can reload if it's a problem. I'm just not sure what my next step is.
post #14 of 28 Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Sounds like a hardware or firmware issue or more likely as others have said a system drive issue. have you looked in windows error log for critical ,non critical errors and warnings ? that's the next step and can tell a lot. have you tried clean booting?
I don't know of any ssd diag software out in the wild (there may be some though) or maybe OCZ has something for you?

To tell you the truth first I would run a check disk fix only then look at wininit in windows event viewer application log file . ( SEE BELOW) for chkdsk results if it shows file repairs or bad sectors etc or says it repaired anything errors were present. one of maybe 3 or more things file corruption in which case chkdsk /f /r might fix it (quite possibly) unless fix only said it fixed it ) or maybe mfr SSD diag software or clean install from fresh windows media

if errors persist ,are still present or reoccour . no matter what I would run a chkdsk fix and repair (long test and look at wininit in event viewer as above again (see below)

Note Startup repair does not make entries into administrative events or wininit application log file in event viewer .
For diagnostic purposes a chkdsk test within windows or in safe mode is more helpful as they both report check disk results to wininit application log file.

, Failing SSD or controller = update or re install firmware or (replace drive), sata errors = update/re install drivers or get new PCIe sata card or replace motherboard ). Nvidia sata controllers sometimes get flaky .Looks like either your system image and or boot drive/OS partitions *may be corrupted or you have a persistent hardware problem . also drivers can become corrupted.
OR maybe rootkit/boot drive virus or malware. = Microsoft antimalware, antivirus boot drive scan or malwarebytes or worse nuclear options = (combo fix) or clean install . Sometimes a clean install can fix a lot of things

First thing to do run chkdsk to establish a baseline ,report any disk or file errors and maybe narrow things down a bit.or fix things Here is how, try within windows first
first run the quick one (fix only) then copy and paste results here then run the long one ,copy and paste result here ,then look at event viewer and post pertinent error messages here as outlined below. Do not defrag ssd .

If you can run chkdsk within widows that is easy
computer > right click drive you want to check >
properties > tools > check drive for errors >
scheduale chksk > OK then close\all apps and re start system
check disk will start after post and not load windows until competed

first option is actually same as chkdsk_/f only
quick check (fix only ) same that windows start up repair does'
should only take about 15 maybe 20 min and will leave entries in event log. It is normal for chkdsk progress to hang for quite a while and re start in one or more spots this is normal nothing to worry about. it will load windows when it is done and remap or repair any corrupted files it fixes and report that and bad sectors to wininit application log file .

second option (fix and repair) more thourogh takes a few hours long time if you have a big more than 1TB drive not too long on small drive.but still hours. figure 5 hours on a 750gb metal drive for example.
second option  is same as chkdsk_/f_/r and attempts to repair bad sectors and recover lost data .  It 

it is the same as above to run within widows just check the second fix and repair option instead.  

when you run this and either watch it or go do something else for a while (preferred  ) . if running chldsk from within windows it will load normally when chkdsk is done.  

Both options or any program *can not fix physical defects or electrical problems on metal or SSD drives* they repair bad files and relocate them and attempt to recover lost data and re map bad areas for non use by windows . Smart drive utilities built into hard drives SSD and metal normally does this in the background and windows never sees this until the smart drive partition reaches a full ( it may fail point )determined by the drive mfr.that's when bad things can start to happen.

All drives have naturally occurring errors even brand new but too many and the smart drive blocks get full spills over into windows and you can get real errors . if you start seeing Disk errors in event viewer administrative event files or chkdsk reported errors in application wininit log files
your disk drive SSD or metal may be in danger of imminent failure more specifically :

Quote:
"Just like regular hard drives, the drive controller keeps track of these bad blocks and re-maps them to 'extra' blocks that were saved for this purpose. Whenever the computer requests data from a bad block, the controller intercepts it and gives it the correct data from the re-mapped block.

Eventually you'll run out of extra blocks and will start getting real errors, at which time you'll need to replace the drive - SMART will keep you on top of this so you can take care of it before you start losing data." http://serverfault.com/questions/10326/do-ssds-support-smart

To run ckdsk from safe mode at dos prompt :

enter safe mode > Advanced options > c promt (you nat change to what ever drive letter is system drive)
at this time.

at prompt enter "chkdsk_/f_/r/" then press enter. You can also use chkdsk_/f (fix only quick check )

there are other switches but they should only be used by expert users .

when runing fix and repair you can sit and watch it for a few hours or go do something else.(preferred)

When it is done windows will offer to start normally or safe mode or start up repair choose start windows normally/

To check windows event viewer for errors =
control panel >event viewer OR type "event viewer " into search .

You can look at summary of administrative events look for critical errors Disk errors (not good) kernel events
application errors ,controller errors or hardware related issues
copy and paste those here and or or search on line

Having done that 'go to LOG summary window

scroll to to wininnit select that > and read chkdsk close pop up and look for
bad files processesed, files repaired ,syst vol corruption repaired, bad Kb in sectors

Copy and paste here .

Copy and paste instructions within windows event viewer good for copy and paste rto forums

copy and paste does not work normally in event viewer ,
Just click detail button > Xml view button them copy and paste into notepad then copy and paste that here.
or anywhere you want someone to see it

You can do that with other error messages and also search on line .

Windows administrative event error log file (win event viewer) should show disk errors,hdd /ssd controller errors ,sata/raid controller errors kernel events (bad shutdowns and other errors ) and lots of other stuff. .

Error messages normally happen ALL the time in windows most are innocuous and require no action.
kinda like listening to your mother in law prattle.

OTOH  critical ,system,  controller errors ,disk  errors (not good usually) or most other HDWE  related errors , *some kernel events   or incessantly repeating or possibly symptom related
errors  however will usually  require action. 

ofc DO NOT attempt to run defrag on solid state drive they don't take to kindly to that no need anyway. only on metal drives.
OTOH chkdsk /f /r *may find and fix some corrupted files and it also can make log entries in event log for us to see , Startup repair basically runs chkdsk and re installs
OS *system files it does not re install windows however but rather takes the place of a repair install on older windows in that respect it is quite handy, AFAIK it does not retain a permanent log or enter results in event logs. I'm assuming windows OS is on your solid state drive otherwise what would be the point in having one?

HTPC should work fine with metal drive's mine does, you can only scroll or click a mouse in your media browser so fast if you think about it
and if you have storage on metal you gain little IMO if anything other than fast boot up. Ram is your friend here .

SSD are useful for gamers maybe for cad/ cam heavy encoding or something other than HTPC no point IMO unless you want compact dimensions ? they * can be fickle *sometimes IMO. How many solid state metal drive HDD controllers fail ? plenty So you know SSD drive controllers can fail as well .

System info would be helpful such as vendor if ready made , OS version any installed service packs . CPU, ram, video, sound motherboard and bios ver.. are chipset drivers up to date?Any system diag software ? Any question marks or unknown devices in device manager ? have you run an antivirus and malware scans (malwarebytes? )
do you use for "other than" HTPC functions?

If and how long did system work correctly B4 Errors any recently installed software? Bleeping computer forums has a few geniuses around . Toms hardware forums isn't bad either.their forum search works well chances are you may find same /similar problems on that forum sometimes with satisfactory resolutions Win 7 help forums are very good in that respect also .
ofc there are some here that certainly may have considerable knowledge in these matters also if they see your question and feel they may be of help. In fact I think some considerably more knowledgeable than I are already here.

You do not need to buy win 7 media again you can download .iso file free as well as burning/converter tool to allow for installation to say perhaps an ~8 Gb bootable USB thumb drive (recomemded ) or burn to DVD for a clean re install you will need your product key to activate it on line with MS this need not be done right away you have a few weeks to do that. if your computer is ready made P- key will be on a sticker on the side of case it is a ~25 digit number there is away to find it from within windows within safe mode In think ?. I just can't remember . Windows user licence is tied to your motherboard. but often a call to ms can help you there if replacing a faulty motherboard.
ofc if you have virgin win DVD (OEM media or retail box ) that will work also

Possible sources of file corruption:
Unclean shutdown (common)
Malicious or benign software that misbehaves.
Randomly flipped bits from non-ECC protected poor memory.

To the other members, If I have posted any errors or left out some omissions then my all means jump in input is most welcome .

Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!
jefejt likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #15 of 28 Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 AM

Liked: 15
go to ocz website and into support section, look for firmware updates and download the latest firmware, go to their forums and read the guides for the safest way to flash, after flash right click C: drive select properties and select tools and check the drive for errors, reboot to run the disk check..
jefejt and tubetwister like this.
post #16 of 28 Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ what he said

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #17 of 28 Old 10-01-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I can look into it this weekend. Its an htpc I built about two years ago I'm still a novice. Its running windows 7. I thought the issue may be related to an update or my daughter pushing the shiny off button...
post #18 of 28 Old 10-01-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I can look into it this weekend. Its an htpc I built about two years ago I'm still a novice. Its running windows 7. I thought the issue may be related to an update or my daughter pushing the shiny off button...

Bad shutdown can sure cause file corruption in a minute ckdsk_ /f should take care of that or chkdsk chk_ /f_ /r .
Ofc chkdsk_/r implies f so you can just use that as well.

Bad shutdown can sometimes also cause metal hdd failure as for whether that would damage SSD *other than possible file corruption I can't say Bad shutdowns would show up in error log CP > event viewer (or start button/ search > "event viewer" ) >Summary of administrative events > errors > kernel event
jefejt likes this.

post #19 of 28 Old 10-01-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I managed to find event viewer and i saw this. I am guessing it was a shutdown issue.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 9/29/2013 3:01:19 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Owner-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000002

System
Owner-PC

0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
false

post #20 of 28 Old 10-01-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry but I have a hard time following. What would be my next step assuming that bad shutdown is the cause
post #21 of 28 Old 10-02-2013, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

bad shutdowns sometime occur normally if perhaps an application is slow to close or was not closed by user what you don't want to see is a ton of them .

easy way if you can still load windows

If you can run chkdsk within widows this is easy click

start button > computer > right click drive you want to check usually C >

properties > tools > check drive for errors > click first option "automatically fix file system errors"

>scheduale chksk > OK then close all apps and re start system shut down> restart

check disk will start after post and not load windows until competed then it should load windows normally
if not and it asks you select "start windows normally "

it is normal if progress stops and it hangs for a good while in one spot that is normal it will resume after some time .

Takes about 20 minutes this is quick check no surface scan same that startup repair .does

if that doesn't fix it you need to do a "fix and repair" (file check and surface scan) next.

same procedure as above except when prompted select "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors "

this is a file check and surface scan can take long time on 1TB + drive maybe 5 -6 hours unless it's really f.. up then it can take longer.

smaller drive shorter time maybe 1-3 hours go have a coke while it's doing that .
same thing when done it should load windows or ask you like above same answer.

IF above doesn't work because you can't load windows but can enter safe mode , enter safe mode and do chkdsk fix repair from c prompt

To run chkdsk from safe mode at dos prompt :

enter safe mode > Advanced options > c prompt
at this time.

at prompt enter "chkdsk_/f_/r " then press enter (long check as above ) . You can also use chkdsk_/f (fix only quick check ) or you can just type in chkdsk_/r ( /r implies /f and will start long test ) "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors "
the small lines _ after chkdsk and before switch / signify the the space bar key ofc and will not show at c prompt . ofc forward slash / is a switch
it's like telling the computer to do this ,and this or this ,then this just like a kid neat huh?

Dont worry if you make a mistake typing just hit enter and a new c prompt will appear .................... unless you type in format c: eek.gif don't do that btw.

There are other / switches but they should usually only be used by expert users or with instructions .

when running fix and repair you can sit and watch it for a few hours or go do something else.(preferred)

When it is done windows will offer to start normally or safe mode or start up repair choose start windows normally/ same as above

Both options or any program *can not fix physical defects or electrical problems on metal or SSD drives* they repair bad files and relocate them and attempt to recover lost data and re map bad areas for non use by windows . Smart drive utilities built into hard drives SSD and metal normally does this in the background and windows never sees this until the smart drive partition reaches a full ( it may fail point )determined by the drive mfr.that's when bad things can start to happen. recurring file corruption or increasing clusters in bad sectors *usually indicate a failing drive.

seems OCZ does not offer any mfr drive diag downloads ??? but maybe if check disk does not fix it you can flash your drive see post 15 above .

I would do the check disk things first (hard to screw up ) then maybe flash the drive but only if check disk did not fix it and if possibly there were firmware or controller issues present in win event error log

don't forget to copy./paste event viewer >application > winninit >check disk results here instructions are above
jefejt likes this.

post #22 of 28 Old 10-02-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Sorry but I have a hard time following. What would be my next step assuming that bad shutdown is the cause

right click C: drive select properties and select tools and check the drive for errors, reboot to run the disk check..
post #23 of 28 Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 AM

post #24 of 28 Old 10-02-2013, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe the OP would do good to get a Roku some DVD's and just call it a day?

try this
They say a picture is worth a thousand words here is page of severall You tube Video's About 2,590 results for running check disk in and outside of windows hopefully out of 2590 videos Op will find one suitable.
http://www.youtube.com/results? Or just stuff a bootable startup repair disk in the ODD ofc that only does the quick check no surface scan/recovery

post #25 of 28 Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I ran the check disc scan, and the computer has rebooted successfully twice. Hopefully it will work. Thanks.
post #26 of 28 Old 10-03-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear it's working did you run the long or short test? also from within windows or safe mode ? or startup repair disk?
I'm assuming if windows would not load you wuld have to use either safe mode/c prompt or SR disc. keep the little one's away from the power switch a sure fire way to corrupt the files another thing that can cause that is a failing or to small power supply .
jefejt likes this.

post #27 of 28 Old 10-06-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I restored the computer via system image with a disc and was able to run the short test in windows. So far so good. Been up and running for a couple of days now.
post #28 of 28 Old 10-06-2013, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I restored the computer via system image with a disc and was able to run the short test in windows. So far so good. Been up and running for a couple of days now.

cool glad it worked out. cool.gif

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page