C drive is dead on Flexraid system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
My media server with Flexraid is now runing just fine with a C drive on 120GB SSD.
I don't have any more sata port to setup RAID 1 for my C drive and I don't like RAID 1 either.
So if, just in case, my C drive is dead, the whole my current Flexraid will be corrupted together, right?
I know I can reinstall OS and rebuild Flexraid, but, you know, it's a stupid idea.
Any other methods of C drive backup so that I can restore my FlexRaid array just in a few minutes or a few hours?
How about your thoughts?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Make an image of your C drive. With WHS that would be the server backup option.

post #3 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just finished doing a restore of my WHS2011 server OS drive. If you have the server backup setup (separate from the pool) you can simply do a image restore by using a Restore disc from within WHS and booting that up to do the image restore to the OS.

Finished doing an image restore on my setup; in my case I replaced the OS drive with a new one since it was pretty old and had bad sectors, and everything, including the pooling setup (I use Stablebit) was restored without a hitch. You should be fine with the FlexRaid setup.
post #4 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Any other methods of C drive backup so that I can restore my FlexRaid array just in a few minutes or a few hours?

If you just want to make sure FlexRAID can be quickly restored, simply backup its configuration file.
You can drop it back into the right place if needed, and do some quick actions on its config panel, and your pool is back up and running within one hour of work.

Here is FlexRAIDs own article on backup of configuration data:
http://wiki.flexraid.com/2011/06/24/backing-up-and-migrating-raid-configuration-data/

Of course that leaves you with a OS that you still need. Might be a good idea to create a backup image of the whole disc which you can restore on a new disc if needed.
Although for me personally, re-installing a basic OS is such a fast task that i probably wouldn't bother with such an image, but other people prefer having a backup image available, nothing wrong with that.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs, guys.
Actually, because I'm using Windows OS, I prefer making an image for my C drive to reistalling the OS (it costs me a lot of time to upgrade patches/ hotfixes, blah ... blah... again).
Right here, I have 2 questions for you.
1/ My home server is sitting on Windows server 2012 essentials, not WHS 2011. Can I make an image of my C drive with server backup option? I've never done it before.
2/ Where should I keep the image when I do a backup for my C drive? As I said before, I don't have any extra disk to hold the image. Is that a good idea to keep the image in one of my data drives? If possible, how can I restore it once C drive cannot boot up?

Once again, thank you.
post #6 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 1017
Keep it on an external , another hard drive, or burn a restore DVD set. Those are the best options.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If restoring your OS is the goal just type "restore" into the windows start command prompt search box and follow the instructions to make restore DVD set.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #8 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I use WSE2012 also and have done a restore of its image. You need to dedicate a drive to the server backup and set up the server backup through the Dashboard. The Dashboard should have been complaining that you haven't done this. I have my WSE2012 installed on a 64GB SSD so I've got some old 1TB HDD allocated to the server backup. I had it plugged into an external USB enclosure, but have since simply connected it as an internal SATA drive.

To restore the client PCs there is a Client Restore disc that you make (DVD or USB drive http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34837) and point it to the server on your LAN. To restore the server you use the Installation disc and drill down through the options to the restore feature http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj593197.aspx.

post #9 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I use WSE2012 also and have done a restore of its image. You need to dedicate a drive to the server backup and set up the server backup through the Dashboard. The Dashboard should have been complaining that you haven't done this. I have my WSE2012 installed on a 64GB SSD so I've got some old 1TB HDD allocated to the server backup. I had it plugged into an external USB enclosure, but have since simply connected it as an internal SATA drive.

To restore the client PCs there is a Client Restore disc that you make (DVD or USB drive http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34837) and point it to the server on your LAN. To restore the server you use the Installation disc and drill down through the options to the restore feature http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj593197.aspx.

+1. The server backup function as bryan says requires a dedicated drive just for server-only backups (separate from the client backup drive). It can be internal or external. In my case I have the restore disc on my 2008 R2 server as an image and have WHS2011 machine boot from it via network booting (PXE). I had my server backup drive internal and after loading the controller drivers in the restore screen, the backup image came up. I have a 500GB dedicated drive for my server.

I believe the menu to make the server restore disc is via Start, Programs and Maintenance and Creating a System Repair disc.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

+1. The server backup function as bryan says requires a dedicated drive just for server-only backups (separate from the client backup drive). It can be internal or external. In my case I have the restore disc on my 2008 R2 server as an image and have WHS2011 machine boot from it via network booting (PXE). I had my server backup drive internal and after loading the controller drivers in the restore screen, the backup image came up. I have a 500GB dedicated drive for my server.

I believe the menu to make the server restore disc is via Start, Programs and Maintenance and Creating a System Repair disc.

Thanks. I also thought exactly what you guys just said. But it's binding me that I now don't have any extra sata port to setup a dedicated backup drive for my C drive. I'm wondering if I can use an external usb 3.0 drive. In that case, is it possbile and how reliable?
post #11 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I also thought exactly what you guys just said. But it's binding me that I now don't have any extra sata port to setup a dedicated backup drive for my C drive. I'm wondering if I can use an external usb 3.0 drive. In that case, is it possbile and how reliable?

Of course you can use an external drive. I even mentioned that I did.

post #12 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 184
I might be misunderstanding the potential issue but just create a file copy job to keep a copy of the FlexRAID database on a DropBox. Then your C: drive doesn't matter. Reinstall FlexRAID and restore the database. Done.
post #13 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Of course you can use an external drive. I even mentioned that I did.
Ok , thank you. I feel confident now. However, as I said, I've never done Windows backup before. My question here is how frequently does WS2012E run backups? Every day, every week automatically or I have to do it manually? Of course, I always want to do a restore with a latest image. Also, do I need to re-activate with Windows OS because I just replaced a new hard drive ( C drive in this case)?
Once again, thank you.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

You shouldn't need to reactivate with a new HDD. You set the backup frequency yourself. I think the default is nightly for client PCs and twice a day for the server. After the first backup (client or server) then all remaining backups are incremental. Also, with WHS and WSE2012 the client backups support deduplication where it only stores a copy of the file once (same Windows or Office would only take the space of one install no matter how many clients you back up).

During the restore you can select the backup you wish to restore by the date and time. You can also choose a full bare metal restore or simply restore individual files.
Elpee likes this.

post #15 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

I might be misunderstanding the potential issue but just create a file copy job to keep a copy of the FlexRAID database on a DropBox. Then your C: drive doesn't matter. Reinstall FlexRAID and restore the database. Done.
If so, everytime you take a FlexRaid snapshot, you have to create a file copy job and then keep that copy of the FlexRAID database on a DropBox? What exactly the file name of FlexRaid database in FlexRaid folder you're talking about?
Thank you.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Huh ? If your C drive fails fix it and leave your flexraid drives alone. You won't lose any data

-

post #17 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You shouldn't need to reactivate with a new HDD. You set the backup frequency yourself. I think the default is nightly for client PCs and twice a day for the server. After the first backup (client or server) then all remaining backups are incremental. Also, with WHS and WSE2012 the client backups support deduplication where it only stores a copy of the file once (same Windows or Office would only take the space of one install no matter how many clients you back up).

During the restore you can select the backup you wish to restore by the date and time. You can also choose a full bare metal restore or simply restore individual files.
Cool, thanks. A thump up for you for your helpful advice.
BTW, do you know about WSE2012 domain? I'm being stuck at "Ctrl+Alt+Del to sign in" every time the server reboots. Different from WS2012 Std that uses 'workgroup' by default, WSE201 aksed me to create domain from beginning, and therefore I'm screwed now. Do you know how to switch from 'domain' to 'workgroup' so that I can bypass "User must sign in...." once the server boots up? Looks like I'm missing some thing.
Thank you.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

WSE2012 is a domain controller. You need to create a domain and sign in. I know there are ways to keep clients from being part of the domain, but I'm not sure you can make the server a workgroup. Seems like a waste of money to buy WSE2012 and not use its features over WHS2011.

post #19 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 124
You can run any of the Windows servers without a domain, really.
I have no experience with WSE specifically, only the Windows Server 2012 "Standard", which can act as a domain controller, but can also not. You're not forced to have a domain.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post

You can run any of the Windows servers without a domain, really.
I have no experience with WSE specifically, only the Windows Server 2012 "Standard", which can act as a domain controller, but can also not. You're not forced to have a domain.

WSE2012 is a domain controller. You have to install it and then you could remove the feature post-install or do the registry hack to allow your clients to not join.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/41775-windows-server-2012-essentials-without-domain-setup

post #21 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool, thanks. A thump up for you for your helpful advice.
BTW, do you know about WSE2012 domain? I'm being stuck at "Ctrl+Alt+Del to sign in" every time the server reboots. Different from WS2012 Std that uses 'workgroup' by default, WSE201 aksed me to create domain from beginning, and therefore I'm screwed now. Do you know how to switch from 'domain' to 'workgroup' so that I can bypass "User must sign in...." once the server boots up? Looks like I'm missing some thing.
Thank you.

At the 'C+A+D' screen you have to log in using the domain name, so whatever domain name was created during installation it would be: 'domainname\username' and then the password. To log in the computer to your local account it would be: 'localcomputername\username' and the password.

Quote:

WSE2012 is a domain controller. You need to create a domain and sign in. I know there are ways to keep clients from being part of the domain, but I'm not sure you can make the server a workgroup. Seems like a waste of money to buy WSE2012 and not use its features over WHS2011.

This is true. However, I have read that if you have WSE, it can be upgraded to Std and still retain the features of Essentials (backups, media streaming).
post #22 of 22 Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

At the 'C+A+D' screen you have to log in using the domain name, so whatever domain name was created during installation it would be: 'domainname\username' and then the password. To log in the computer to your local account it would be: 'localcomputername\username' and the password.
This is true. However, I have read that if you have WSE, it can be upgraded to Std and still retain the features of Essentials (backups, media streaming).

Doing the Essentials to Standard upgrade you keep pretty much everything, but you do lose the media streaming.

Reply Home Theater Computers