Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer
I installed XBMC and it works great playing the avi files from the system SSD inside of my Win8 laptop.
1. First of all, I just selected the folder that contains the avi files and did not have to make a playlist. That was easy.
2. Playback is perfect with smooth video and correct audio sync.
3. Subtitles display correctly. No flickering and the subtitles sync with the scenes properly.
4. The fast forward (>>) and reverse (<<) buttons on the Sanoxy remote execute the fast fwd/rev properly.
... I could not get this to work using WMP or WMC.
5. Pressing the PLAY button on the remote stops the fast fwd/rev! This is BIG! I could not find a way to do that
... using VLC so I had to use the jump x seconds instead of fast fwd/rev.
6. Pressing the (>>|) button on the remote returns to the avi playlist. Since the current video takes up one line and
... is boxed, it's easy to see where playback is at and then just press the DOWN button to go to the next video.
... This scenario was not as easy to do using WMC. .... Since this works well in XBMC, I don't need to have the
... (>>|) button jump directly to the next avi file.
7. Of course the normal PLAY and PAUSE buttons work as expected.
I'm very satisfied with how XBMC works and like you said, I just downloaded one program to get all of it.
There is one big obstacle though. I have not been able to setup playback via the network to the hard drive on my tower PC in the living room. Googling, it appears that Homegroup needs to be turned off. If I do that, what's the procedure for transferring non-HTPC files back and forth between the HTPC in the bedroom and my tower PC in the living rm?