Shout out of "Thanks" to whoever recommended the Dell Powerconnect Switch in a thread couple weeks ago - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-20-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Replaced a couple of dell desktop switches and my home Network speeds increased 15-20%.
Now running 1 each 2708 and 2808. Anyway. Thanks for mentioning these
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-20-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
You are welcome.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-23-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Your switch speeds things up ? What switch and how much $$?

I never bothered playing around with such things. (I have a consumer level Asus switch )

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #4 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As the title says,Dell Powerconnects.
a 2816 gives you 16 ports
post #5 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 11:01 PM

Liked: 13
Replaced my Asus router/switch and dlink with Cisco 8 port switches (sg200-08, 100 ea) and transfer rates are now 120 mb per second.

The dlink switches were running at 80 mb per sec before they all died - killed 2 of them running RDP from my laptop.

I am not buying cheap switches again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
post #6 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Interesting ... I get what I consider decent performance from my Asus switch ($25 newegg). But I've never gotten 125mb/sec

Usually 100mb/sec only....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
If you're topping out at 100MB/s then you've either got one of those $15~$30 switches or possibly a cheapy NIC. Any half decent desktop switch should be able to just about max out Gigabit. My transfers across the network typically sit right at 240~245MB/s (lacp). That's using a Cisco SG200-26 which is a pretty entry level switch.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #8 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I started all this just to clean up the 14U rack the home theater is in. There was a Dlink 8 port switch hanging on the side uggggly
Bought the Dell 2708 as it has rackmount ears and would fit in a 1U slot on the back of the rack. First transfer of ~35 Gig
Movies and meta data and what had been 85 to 100 was 110 to 120. Added the second Dell 8 port and it rarely drops
below 115 now. My switches span a 200 foot run between the server and HTPC.

Just happened to drop by and saw the discussion on switches the night I got fed up with the look of that switch hanging off the side
and fricken happy that there was a nice boost of performance.

I should mention as well that I have "a dozen" IP security cams on this circuit using bandwidth.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

If you're topping out at 100MB/s then you've either got one of those $15~$30 switches or possibly a cheapy NIC. Any half decent desktop switch should be able to just about max out Gigabit. My transfers across the network typically sit right at 240~245MB/s (lacp). That's using a Cisco SG200-26 which is a pretty entry level switch.

I have a $25 Asus 8 port switch from Newegg. I said that above.

I have Intel NIC on both server and desktop and still only get about 100MB/sec average, 110MB most times, but never 120+ mad.gif Even SSD to SSD I get the same so I know it's my LAN

-

post #10 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have a $25 Asus 8 port switch from Newegg. I said that above.

I have Intel NIC on both server and desktop and still only get about 100MB/sec average, 110MB most times, but never 120+ mad.gif Even SSD to SSD I get the same so I know it's my LAN

Is it this: ASUS GX-D1081
Any desktop switch that says Power Saving or Green you can bet won't provide full Gigabit speeds. Typically these cheap 5 and 8 ports desktop switches claim to have switching capacity of 10 and 16Gbps but you never see that in real world usage. With 16Gbps capacity it should be able to saturate all ports up and down at full gigabit.... but they can't even handle a single port at that speed. With all the money you spend on your gear you'd be well served to get a decent $200~$300 Dell/HP/Cisco switch. Get a smart switch that supports lacp and a couple Intel Gigabit CT's and you can team them so you can have 2Gbps up/down. You'll love it.

post #11 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it this: ASUS GX-D1081
Any desktop switch that says Power Saving or Green you can bet won't provide full Gigabit speeds. Typically these cheap 5 and 8 ports desktop switches claim to have switching capacity of 10 and 16Gbps but you never see that in real world usage. With 16Gbps capacity it should be able to saturate all ports up and down at full gigabit.... but they can't even handle a single port at that speed. With all the money you spend on your gear you'd be well served to get a decent $200~$300 Dell/HP/Cisco switch. Get a smart switch that supports lacp and a couple Intel Gigabit CT's and you can team them so you can have 2Gbps up/down. You'll love it.

I think I would love this. I am noob at switched and "teaming" and I would need some guidance but I am interested.

Yeah I know I have a cheap Asus switch. I bought it cause it was cheap tongue.gif But again I am noob and did not realize that switched mattered. I thought a gigabit switch went gigabit. Stupid me. I am not that worried about it. 110MB/sec seems ok to me, but I like what you are saying. biggrin.gif

-

post #12 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think I would love this. I am noob at switched and "teaming" and I would need some guidance but I am interested.

Yeah I know I have a cheap Asus switch. I bought it cause it was cheap tongue.gif But again I am noob and did not realize that switched mattered. I thought a gigabit switch went gigabit. Stupid me. I am not that worried about it. 110MB/sec seems ok to me, but I like what you are saying. biggrin.gif

With how much you hate waiting on your PC tasks I know your researching new switches right now...

post #13 of 15 Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The inexpensive HP 1400 series don't make an appreciable difference when added in series with my Dell 5324, but I haven't bothered to test to get definitive numbers. Here they sell for circa ~$50 for an 8 port but are unmanaged. Having a couple of managed units like the Dell, unless you're using the added features such as LACP, I'm not seeing much point in them for home use. The Dell does have an independent test done for it that shows it can max out all ports at once, but uses a lot of power doing it (~60W), and has two noisy fans. I paid $60 for the Dell second hand as I wanted it for the SFP ports as I have a ton of them and plenty of fibre interconnects, but never bothered to connect it up as it's quite fast enough as it is.
post #14 of 15 Old 09-27-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

With how much you hate waiting on your PC tasks I know your researching new switches right now...

I looked quick but prices seems really high...

My $25 Asus gets me 110MB/sec (sometimes a little more) I am not sure 10MB/sec is worth $100+ to me. Am I really supposed to get 125MB/sec ?

-

post #15 of 15 Old 09-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I looked quick but prices seems really high...

My $25 Asus gets me 110MB/sec (sometimes a little more) I am not sure 10MB/sec is worth $100+ to me. Am I really supposed to get 125MB/sec ?

A Gigabit switch should yield about 120MB/s. With single port I get a constant 120~122MB/s up and down. No matter what HDD is being read from or written to (actually I see a slow down with Greens sometimes but I have very few of those left in my network). With two ports teamed I get a constant 240~245MB/s with SSD but the rotating rust becomes the bottleneck there. 4 ports teamed and I need to RAID0 my SSD's to keep up biggrin.gif

Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page