Hauppauge HD PVR and Directv HR21-100 S/PDIF issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-21-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok I have looked around and have not found a solution to my issue, using a HD PVR (this model: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html) hooked to my Directv HR21-100 Receiver (Directv component out and S/PDIF out to IN's on the HD PVR) . This worked 6 months ago without an issue, and today I am just getting a black screen on the ArcSoft Capture Module. With the audio input in the ArcSoft software if it is selected to S/PDIF I just get a black screen in the software, change the Audio to RCA Back the video appears and it shows the correct Input Resolution...but no audio. I restarted my Directv receiver with the audio input of the ArcSoft software to S/PDIF and I got a image of the Directv receiver starting up a couple of times, but once the Directv receiver fully booted the video was gone again. I am wondering if Directv has sent an update that component and digital out no longer work together, being this worked before without an issue.

This is what is looks like with 'RCA back' selected:

and with 'S/PDIF' selected:

I have also unplugged everything except the component and optical out of the Directv and it still doesn't work, has anyone been able to get this to work recently if you are doing this? Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-21-2013, 11:58 AM

Liked: 10
I am using a Hauppauge 1212 with DirecTV HR-34 (Genie), connected with component video and SPDIF audio, and it is working fine.

If the 1212 is set to SPDIF and for any reason it does not get audio via the digital input, it will blank the video. If you select the RCA audio, it doesn't care and will show (and capture) the video anyway.

I would check the digital audio cable and connection. I don't think DirecTV has disabled anything via any recent update that would cause your problem.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvalkan4 View Post

I am using a Hauppauge 1212 with DirecTV HR-34 (Genie), connected with component video and SPDIF audio, and it is working fine.

If the 1212 is set to SPDIF and for any reason it does not get audio via the digital input, it will blank the video. If you select the RCA audio, it doesn't care and will show (and capture) the video anyway.

I would check the digital audio cable and connection. I don't think DirecTV has disabled anything via any recent update that would cause your problem.

I made sure the connections were secure(at least a couple of times), and I know when I rebooted the Directv receiver I was actually getting a signal to my computer when I was using S/PDIF connection for audio it is just when the Directv receiver fully booted I lost the connection at that point.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Do you see a red light out the end of the connector to the HD-PVR? If you are also using the HDMI output try disconnecting it and see if the HD-PVR works.

Mike T
post #5 of 7 Old 10-19-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtallent View Post

Do you see a red light out the end of the connector to the HD-PVR? If you are also using the HDMI output try disconnecting it and see if the HD-PVR works.

Mike T

Yes I do, there is a signal coming from the optical of the Directv.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I know I had to send my HD PVR back to Hauppauge for repair about a half year ago being the optical input got pushed into the device, but I swear I have used it since I got it back and it worked. I decided this weekend to upgrade to HD PVR 2 1512 model to see if I have the same problems there, since I have not been able to get my present HD PVR to work with the optical cable.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-22-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

well it seems it was a bad optical port on my original HD PVR, since the new HD PVR 2 1512 model has no issues using the optical port. I guess something Hauppauge did when they repaired it, didn't repair after all.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Directv Hr21pro Professional Video Recorder

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page