Ripping straight to server - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Is there any reason I should not rip straight to my server? I have a couple options for ripping to the internal drive or an external USB 3.0 drive, but it would be much more convenient to rip right to my server.

FS- Peavey IPR 2 7500, Art Clean Box Pro, Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 216
zero good reasons, there are some nonsensical reasons

I've ripped wirelessly before, and ripping across a LAN is for sure the way to go if your server is in an obscure location
post #3 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

I'm wired, cat 6 all the way, 50 MB/s transfers to server, 111 from server to my SSD. I'll just rip to server from my USB 3.0 BluRay drive. cool.gif

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 2, Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
post #4 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I rip from my desktop PC over Cat 6 to my server. I rip into a folder called "todo" which is not part of my movie library. Once I get the artwork and metadata the way I want (usually these days just dropping in a folder.jpg and renaming the rip) I move it to a folder in my movie library.

post #5 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I rip directly to my server. Then rename the file and folder to match imdb.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good idea to rip into a 'temp' style folder. I'm using a Dune and Zappiti, but have not yet played with Zappiti. My rips are coming out the actual name of the movie, so I'm hoping I can just leave as - is, update with a Zap scrape and be done with it.

post #7 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do any of you run 'checks' on your files after you rip/transfer them?

I just downloaded Terracopy this afternoon and it has the option to make sure no file is corrupted. I would think that would be a nice feature if you're not pressed for time.

post #8 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

I just downloaded Terracopy this afternoon and it has the option to make sure no file is corrupted. I would think that would be a nice feature if you're not pressed for time.

No. Never had the need.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

good to know

post #10 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

zero good reasons, there are some nonsensical reasons

I've ripped wirelessly before, and ripping across a LAN is for sure the way to go if your server is in an obscure location

I take offense to this. There is plenty of good reasons not to do it, I recently had a long good post in my server thread why I chose not to do do this. I am reading some tongue in cheek directed towards me with the "nonsensical" part of your post tongue.gif

I can't help it if you guys just aren't advanced enough as me tongue.gif . For normal folks your probably right, but if you have a large collection that's established it becomes more practical to rip outside your collections and add to them. I started by ripping directly to my server and after my first few TB of media were established I found it easier to rip locally and then add the final product to the collection. I'll leave it at that- and spare everyone the long copy and paste of my other post on the subject. biggrin.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I love teracropy biggrin.gif I have used it on important stuff. (like if I copy an installation program folder) but never on a movie. The size is too big and the movies are not vital important. It's very rare to get a copy error on a simple seq read/write as in copying a MKV movie. It's less than 1 in a million error rate- and even then the error is a pixelated screen. The MKV often still plays except for a minor hiccup. A minor error will not kill your whole movie.

If you cared about such accuracy you would need a self healing file system (like ZFS instead of Unraid)

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #12 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks.

I'm wired, cat 6 all the way, 50 MB/s transfers to server, 111 from server to my SSD. I'll just rip to server from my USB 3.0 BluRay drive. cool.gif

Even with only 50MB writes you can likely rip multiple simultaneous rips to your server. Speed is not your issue.

-

post #13 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I never thought of ripping multiple movies at one time. Would that work with anydvd? I will have to try it. I have a dvd and bluray drive so if anydvd will allow two rips at one time That would be great.

post #14 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I take offense to this. There is plenty of good reasons not to do it, I recently had a long good post in my server thread why I chose not to do do this. I am reading some tongue in cheek directed towards me with the "nonsensical" part of your post tongue.gif

I can't help it if you guys just aren't advanced enough as me tongue.gif . For normal folks your probably right, but if you have a large collection that's established it becomes more practical to rip outside your collections and add to them. I started by ripping directly to my server and after my first few TB of media were established I found it easier to rip locally and then add the final product to the collection. I'll leave it at that- and spare everyone the long copy and paste of my other post on the subject. biggrin.gif

I've read several of your long posts about it, but I've never seen a good reason within them wink.gif

I've seen all of your reasons why you think it's more advanced, necessary for large collections, and that you've "evolved" to these methods, but I still see no good reasoning. Long ago I posted behind one of your long posts (before your server thread's genesis) as to why your method is unnecessary if you run mediacentermaster on your entire server. Then lock all of your "perfect" titles, and sort MCM by "locked" status. Also let it auto scan, and it will do everything for you. You can double check each title's metadata additions and then lock them away.

Also in MakeMKV's advanced view, you can specify the filename prior to ripping. I always leave a browser or my phone open to IMDB while ripping, and specify the correct name for both the folder/file prior to ripping. Straight to my blu-ray or dvd flexraid share every time, 0 problems - ever. All of my existing titles are locked, and new ones are locked when I get around to it. MCM kicks off an XBMC library update for me as well

I have neither the time nor energy to repeat this every time you paste one of the long descriptions of why you do it your way, so in the end your way will probably be considered "best practice" tongue.gif

Also, I consider my movie/tv collection to be fairly large cool.gif
post #15 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I never thought of ripping multiple movies at one time. Would that work with anydvd? I will have to try it. I have a dvd and bluray drive so if anydvd will allow two rips at one time

That would be great.
I do three at a time with MakeMKV all the time. Works well. I have multiple drives.

-

post #16 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've read several of your long posts about it, but I've never seen a good reason within them wink.gif

I've seen all of your reasons why you think it's more advanced, necessary for large collections, and that you've "evolved" to these methods, but I still see no good reasoning. Long ago I posted behind one of your long posts (before your server thread's genesis) as to why your method is unnecessary if you run mediacentermaster on your entire server. Then lock all of your "perfect" titles, and sort MCM by "locked" status. Also let it auto scan, and it will do everything for you. You can double check each title's metadata additions and then lock them away.

Also in MakeMKV's advanced view, you can specify the filename prior to ripping. I always leave a browser or my phone open to IMDB while ripping, and specify the correct name for both the folder/file prior to ripping. Straight to my blu-ray or dvd flexraid share every time, 0 problems - ever. All of my existing titles are locked, and new ones are locked when I get around to it. MCM kicks off an XBMC library update for me as well

I have neither the time nor energy to repeat this every time you paste one of the long descriptions of why you do it your way, so in the end your way will probably be considered "best practice" tongue.gif

Also, I consider my movie/tv collection to be fairly large cool.gif

We can disagree smile.gif

-

post #17 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I never thought of ripping multiple movies at one time. Would that work with anydvd? I will have to try it. I have a dvd and bluray drive so if anydvd will allow two rips at one time That would be great.

Yes, multiple rips work fine with AnyDVD too.
post #18 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
why do you guys spend so much time and effort 'managing' your collection? seems like too much work, and I don't understand what the pay off is?
I only have a smallish collection of movies by AVS standards (8 or 9 hundred or so... or 3 large boxes of DVD/BR/HDDVD in storage depending on how you choose to look at it...)
all I ever do is:
  1. insert DVD/BR/HD DVD
  2. MyMovies reads disk ID and gets artwork/metadata/etc
  3. I cancel MyMovies ripping thingy and rip the movie myself, DVD's with DVDshrink, everything else with MakeMKV, rip straight to final resting place (ie NAS)
  4. name the file/folder whatever I feel like naming it...I generally just grab the name field from mymovies... but it really doesn't matter.
  5. Tell MyMovies where the file(s) are stored.
  6. tell Sage to update its library.
  7. watch movie.

I could get rid of steps 3,4,&5 by just letting MyMovies rip it... but I like doing that myself...
my way seems a ton easier than what you guys describe

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #19 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's pretty normal ^

I use MakMKV to rip. I use MediaCenterMaster to name it, and download all the meta data, art work etc... and put it into a movie folder ...

Not much different. I think my way is actually easier than yours which makes me ask- what is your point ?

"managing" media is a requirement for a proper HTPC experience. It's not hard, and it should not be. It is somewhat time consuming if you have a big collection but once you get up to date, adding the new material is much easier to keep up with.

Don't forget about recorded TV too. I have many TB's of TV shows and those often take more effort than movies do (because of season 1, season 2 etc. )

Movies is really easy IMO. My way is super easy. MCM is great - as long as you spell the name right or even close to correct it's nearly 100% in my experience. 1 out of 100 I might have to go to IMDB and look up the ID number to get it right. Otherwise it basically does everything automatically for you.

-

post #20 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I use MakMKV to rip. I use MediaCenterMaster to name it, and download all the meta data, art work etc... and put it into a movie folder ...
why are you putting things in the movie folder? doesn't whatever you are using do that for you?
Quote:

Not much different. I think my way is actually easier than yours which makes me ask- what is your point ?
it may just be the way you describe it, but it sounds like there is far more work involved doing it your way.... and that is my point... trying to find out WHY you do what seems like way more work.

why do you look things up on IMDB?
why do you name things based on IMDB?
why do you have to get the name right? cant whatever you use just look up the disk ID?
why do you physically put things in folders? why would you ever want to even touch or move a folder?
Quote:

"managing" media is a requirement for a proper HTPC experience. It's not hard, and it should not be. It is somewhat time consuming if you have a big collection but once you get up to date, adding the new material is much easier to keep up with.
I don't manage my media in any way, once I am done ripping I never go back and touch that folder ever, I am wondering what I am missing out on? all my metadata/artwork is correct, so what is the point of all this imdb'ing/managing/etc?
Quote:

Don't forget about recorded TV too. I have many TB's of TV shows and those often take more effort than movies do (because of season 1, season 2 etc. )
forget about TV? I never even thought about TV in the first place to forget about it...
my rec TV is auto com skipped, has all the metadata./artwork/etc done and is organized into season automatically (and combined with any TV shows on DVD/BR/etc) that is all done for me by Sage, I haven't played with WMC in a while but pretty sure that is a common functionality between all the DVR programs...
what more could you actually add by "Managing" your TV?
Quote:

Movies is really easy IMO. My way is super easy.

just based on your description here, and some of your other posts/threads, I am unconvinced super easy means what you think it means.
of course it could just be the way you are describing your process that may be my issue...
ie if MCM or whatever is actually doing all the IMDB lookups and putting all the metadata/art/stuff into folders/etc for you that would be super easy, but the way you describe it it sound like you have to physically do all that...

NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
post #21 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You guys are all way to involved for me. I'm ripping my disks to .ISO straight to the server as suggested. I'm not even creating a folder for the .ISO to go in.

After a days worth of ripping, yesterday for example, I open Zappiti and scrape. Done.

post #22 of 30 Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost View Post

why are you putting things in the movie folder? doesn't whatever you are using do that for you?
it may just be the way you describe it, but it sounds like there is far more work involved doing it your way.... and that is my point... trying to find out WHY you do what seems like way more work.

why do you look things up on IMDB?
why do you name things based on IMDB?
why do you have to get the name right? cant whatever you use just look up the disk ID?
why do you physically put things in folders? why would you ever want to even touch or move a folder?
I don't manage my media in any way, once I am done ripping I never go back and touch that folder ever, I am wondering what I am missing out on? all my metadata/artwork is correct, so what is the point of all this imdb'ing/managing/etc?

I definitely think there is nothing out there that holds a candle to MyMovies. Last I checked it required AnyDVD HD (or equivalent) running in the background on top of it's own $80 cost. Pretty high price for entry. It also can't "automagically" rip to mkv. You're stuck with iso or manual intervention. I don't mind iso, but I wanted to use Plex and iso transcoding is not (and likely won't be) supported. Not only is it pricey all around, but it's not suitable for all my needs. I've been experimenting with a version of Autorip from the XBMC forums (by spinalcrack) that pulls info from the disc id and asks you to verify with a series of popups. Never could get it working perfectly
post #23 of 30 Old 09-24-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Don't think anyone would get MM for its ripping functions. Its strengths are collection management and its MediaCenter plugin.

BTW I think you got the meaning of "hold a candle" the wrong way around smile.gif
post #24 of 30 Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post

Don't think anyone would get MM for its ripping functions. Its strengths are collection management and its MediaCenter plugin.

BTW I think you got the meaning of "hold a candle" the wrong way around smile.gif

I agree. I prefer MKV and makemkv is both free and easy. Once the rip is done with makemkv then mediacentermaster really shows its strengths... Doing everything else automatically.

It's the easiest and best way I've found to go from a bluray in my hand to a finalized movie folder on my collection in the quickest time with least effort.

If you prefer ISO that's ok, but it's like apples and oranges.

-

post #25 of 30 Old 09-24-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I realize I followed that statement with several complaints, but it's still ripping the way ripping should be. All you have to do is put the disc in the drive, then NO title searching for the correct year, mouse clicking, or typing required. If it could rip to MKV, I'd have already dropped the $140-$160 for MM and AnyDVDHD long ago.
post #26 of 30 Old 09-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I realize I followed that statement with several complaints, but it's still ripping the way ripping should be. All you have to do is put the disc in the drive, then NO title searching for the correct year, mouse clicking, or typing required. If it could rip to MKV, I'd have already dropped the $140-$160 for MM and AnyDVDHD long ago.

Ummm...it can rip to MKV. You just have to create a custom profile for Handbrake.

However, what it cannot do is rip Losslessly to MKV. That is a limitation of Handbrake, and MM's decision to not support any other options.
post #27 of 30 Old 09-24-2013, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruse View Post

Ummm...it can rip to MKV. You just have to create a custom profile for Handbrake.

Maybe just semantics, but I refer to that as "Encoding to MKV" as opposed to "Ripping"

Good point though
post #28 of 30 Old 09-24-2013, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did... well, kinda,sorta...
I got it and put it on a WHS box I built for my mom...
all she has to do is put the disk in the tray, then wait for it to pop the disk back out and she is done with the whole ripping thing... no keyboard required, no mouse required, not even a monitor required...
now That is my definition of "super easy"
the only drawback is that it copies the whole disk...
not a big deal really... but not my thing...
not sure if I set it up to rip to ISO or folders... not sure it matters... whatever I set it up to do, it works just fine.

I personalty go the extra step and when my non-WHS and mostly free MyMovies asks me (because I don't have the auto rip option, being the freebie version and all) if I want to Add or Rip, I just tell it to Add, then I makeMKV it (or DVDShrink for dvd's) and then I just tell MyMovies where the file(or folder for DVD's) is... name doesn't matter, and I always get accurate metadata/etc because it is based on an actual disk ID, so no need for fancy naming or to hope that the scraper will actually scrape the correct info. and also no need for anyDVD since I am not using their ripping function...

note: by mostly free, I mean I have 125 paid for points ($5) and 23 contribution points... of course 148 points don't get you anything as the first tier starts at 500 points...
so technically my personal install of MyMovies is still at the free tier. just thought I would point the FREE part out, since apparently paying for anything is considered a sin on AVS... and I don't want to be accused of heresy...

post #29 of 30 Old 09-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
****, mb3 scrapes auto now.

makemkv and name output file as it appears on imdb (year), rip, remove disc, next.

yall are working way too hard.
post #30 of 30 Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcain View Post

****, mb3 scrapes auto now.

makemkv and name output file as it appears on imdb (year), rip, remove disc, next.

yall are working way too hard.

Not sure if you understand fully, but MB, XBMC, MCM have been auto-scraping for a while IF you have the title reasonable correct. Mymovies can auto-rip and auto-scrape based on the disc id. No user intervention, but it has the other potential pitfalls mentioned above.

Depending on the perspective, you are working too hard
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page