Best software for ripping regular DVD's - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 01-16-2014, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I know I started this thread and I have been quiet in it, but it's good to see that this thread has taken a life of it's own. I just wanted to say that I figured out my problem, and it was not MKV. It was a combination of settings in my Integra, Media Server software Jriver, and the actual video card settings. After I played around with all of those, regular DVD's look really good now. So it was not my ripping software, it was my settings.

It ain't easy being green.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Care to post what those settings were/are? It might be useful to others with similar hardware/software.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 69 Old 01-16-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post

MakeMKV made multiple files as well. I downloaded some other app to merge them into one.

I didn't see any setting to make it one large file during the rip. Is there a way to avoid this two step process?
Yes. Select which file(s) you want to extract. Or you can deselect the ones you don't want. I believe the default is it extracts every program file longer than a couple of minutes.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #64 of 69 Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Care to post what those settings were/are? It might be useful to others with similar hardware/software.
Sure. Here is what I did.(Remember my issue was with REGULAR DVD's)
First, what I did was I went into my Integra setup and I dropped the resolution down from 1080p/24 to just 1080p. That helped. Even though I think my TV can handle /24 content doing that made the picture look better. The rest of the stuff was with the server. I made sure in the server software (Jriver) setting was set to 1080p. I am trying to think if there was anything else I did in Jriver. I have to double check but I think I also unchecked these two items in Jriver
Hardware accelerate
and
Video clock
But even after doing all of that it still wasn't great. I was still seeing motion issues. So I started a thread in the Jriver forum. Here is the link
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86201.0
It's easier if I just post the link to what I did in the Jriver forum.
Part of it was making sure the video card driver was up to date and un-checking a number options in the video card control panel and making sure they were off.
You want to jump to "reply 14" and it really picks up at "reply 23". This stuff deals with the actual video card in the server itself. As I said, regular DVD's look really good now and I have zero complaints. I am so glad that I asked the question over there and I was lucky enough to get some people who gave me ideas I never would have thought of on my own.

It ain't easy being green.

post #65 of 69 Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post

Of these suggestions, which are compatible with Windows 8?

I cant say I'm running win 7 x64. DVD Fab9 should be compatible the others will probably work fine also not hard to download and try them although DVD Fab 9 has the most up to date dycripter of the ones I listed .
The DVD Fab 9 trial version dycripter remains active after the trial expires .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #66 of 69 Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm a little late to the party but I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD for my rips. I didn't want to pay for 2 programs, but the simplicity of CloveDVD was well worth the price. Plus I can easily remove all of the trailers, extras, etch and keep just the movie. I even remove the menu so when I start a movie in Media Browser 3 it starts playing immediately, no wasted time skipping a bunch of crap. I tried using MakeMKV and handbrake, but it just took too long to setup before copying would start. Maybe once I start ripping my blurays will I need to revisit those programs (Been waiting for CloneBluRay for years but it looks like we'll never see that any time soon)
post #67 of 69 Old 01-17-2014, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

I cant say I'm running win 7 x64. DVD Fab9 should be compatible the others will probably work fine also not hard to download and try them although DVD Fab 9 has the most up to date dycripter of the ones I listed .

I can confirm that DVD fab works perfectly fine on Win8

post #68 of 69 Old 01-17-2014, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

I suggest not using DVD Fab. They are on libav's Wall of Shame for stealing code. And they get away with it because they are a Chinese company.
Link
post #69 of 69 Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb347 View Post

I suggest not using DVD Fab. They are on libav's Wall of Shame for stealing code. And they get away with it because they are a Chinese company.
Link

Always thought they were Canadian based for some reason?
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page