Best software for ripping regular DVD's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 69 Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Hello. I am using a Baetis HT level media server. I am also using Jriver 18. When I rip BR's(Using Make MKV), the video looks very good. But when I try and rip a regular DVD, the playback is very 'choppy". It is not smooth at all. But I have no idea if it is my server, a setting in Jriver, or the Make MKV software that I use to rip my BR disks. Does anybody have any ideas or other software I should try? I have tried AnyDVD but to be honest, I could not figure out how to get the program to actually work redface.gif. Meaning, I can't even get it to burn at all. Any help would be most welcome.
Thanks

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All right, no answers yet but I will amend my question. Do I need AnyDVD or will CloneDVD do the trick on it's own. It seems like CloneDVD has the expected results I am looking to get. So, do I need both or will CloneDVD do the job on it's own.
Thanks

My System
post #3 of 69 Old 09-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why not just use MakeMKV?
post #4 of 69 Old 09-24-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud sloth View Post

Why not just use MakeMKV?
The problem is when I use it to rip a regular DVD, the movie looks very choppy when I go to watch it. that is fine for BR's, but every DVD has looked bad and I am just trying to see if another piece of software would be better.

My System
post #5 of 69 Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Whoops, I somehow thought you were using a different program for DVDs than you were using for BRs. Sorry, I don't have a better suggestion, MakeMKV seems to work for my DVDs.
post #6 of 69 Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

All right, no answers yet but I will amend my question. Do I need AnyDVD or will CloneDVD do the trick on it's own. It seems like CloneDVD has the expected results I am looking to get. So, do I need both or will CloneDVD do the job on it's own.
Thanks

Clone DVD requires AnyDVD. If you just want to try a raw DVD rip, DVD Shrink or DVD Fab Decrypter, or you can go really old school (though DVD Shrink is pretty old school) and use DVD Decrypter. All are free and will get you a DVD structure.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #7 of 69 Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Clone DVD requires AnyDVD. If you just want to try a raw DVD rip, DVD Shrink or DVD Fab Decrypter, or you can go really old school (though DVD Shrink is pretty old school) and use DVD Decrypter. All are free and will get you a DVD structure.
I was afraid someone was going to say that. I really don't feel like paying for both. I found DVD Fab9 as well so I may try that one. Thanks. Will DVD Fab9 allow me to get rid of extras and stuff like that?

My System
post #8 of 69 Old 09-25-2013, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It might be worth trying to troubleshoot why the DVD's you have ripped with MakeMKV are choppy and look bad, MakeMKV (or any other ripping software) should really have no effect on how the DVD looks when played back. No point paying for other software when MakeMKV should do want you want, quality should be the same.
post #9 of 69 Old 09-25-2013, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I really wouldn't know where to start to trouble shoot. I have the settings correct in my server. I was told by the person who I bought the server from that they noticed a bit of what I was talking about as well, but maybe not as much. Maybe it's my Plasma? Who knows. I am just looking to try all things. BTW, I should point out that if the trouble shooting would involve switching cables, that will not happen. I am physically unable to do that. I was just told that maybe Make MKV did not handle dvd's well so that's why I was wondering about other software.

My System
post #10 of 69 Old 09-25-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've seen some things not like MPEG-2 in an MKV container before (I wouldn't expect JRMC to be like that though), so it might be worth just ripping a DVD in native format with some free software (even if it's the full disc) to see if that helps at all.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #11 of 69 Old 09-25-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I've seen some things not like MPEG-2 in an MKV container before (I wouldn't expect JRMC to be like that though), so it might be worth just ripping a DVD in native format with some free software (even if it's the full disc) to see if that helps at all.
So maybe try something like DVDFAB9 and see what happens? I would still be running the movie through Jriver though.

My System
post #12 of 69 Old 09-25-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's worth a shot.

post #13 of 69 Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 386
MY DVD BACK UP + FILE CONVERTER TOOL KIT (free)

In order of preference

DVD shrink 3.2 (free open source ) is a very good one step solution I usually archive in DVD9 (uncompressed ) sometimes DVD 5 (compressed ) you can do .iso if you like. have done that also. If it reads the file it's one of best has decent options also it so far has read almost everything http://www.dvdshrink.org/

I use DVD9 or for HDD storage or DL DVD sometime .ISO for HDD storage also DVD 5 for some storage and SL DVD all the players and media browsers can read these
not sure about iTunes probably not. you can burn DVD9 direct to to DL DVD and DVD5 to SL DVD . as well as view them from your HDD in your media browser player

DVD fab 9 (trial version) has excellent decrypter that never expires **** this is the big HDCP DRM hammer !
Will read some DVD/BD that DVD Shrink can not read .
Lots of features and benefits all avail for short time on free trial good to keep after the decryption feature does not expirev !
http://www.dvdfab.com/?set=lang
would probably purchase paid version if I did not have open source tools.

DVD Decrypter (free) self explanatory very good for works on some modern & older HDCP . decrypts only must use with Handbrake or other file converter/burner .
http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/ ( old schol) does not read through newer HDCP or DRM )

HandBrake (free) old school file converter one of the best slow but lots of options for quality .The Mac daddy of file converters Think of it as
LAME encoder but for DVD/BD ( old school) does not read through any HDCP or DRM ) you will need another decrypter for that first.
http://handbrake.fr/ Big daddy of open source file converters lots of options even Apple TV and mobiles. .

Image burn ( free ) explanatory think of it as exact copy for media and data
"ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!" http://www.imgburn.com/

DVD Smith ( Free) Only used it once minimalist user interface
"DVDSmith - Ultimate Solutions for backing up your DVD & Blu-ray investment on Windows and Mac"
http://www.dvdsmith.com/

AVS thread with more good suggestions and commentary
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489520/what-is-your-preferred-ripping-software

I've tried a lot of free trials and read some web postings so far at least for me these seem to work well . others have recommended these as well
this is a pretty good Free toolkit and will get the job done.

***** Most other free trials are hobbled won't read all the chapters unless you buy paid versions and ofc ALSO expire .

AVS Members please feel free to add your choices (paid or free)
+ ofc your comments are welcome and in fact encouraged
Edited by tubetwister - 9/15/13 at 2:26pm

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490780/free-dvd-back-up-file-converter-tool-kit-avs-members-please-add-your-dvd-bd-software-choices-and-comments

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #14 of 69 Old 12-21-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I am tyring to work on my regular DVD's. I downloaded Handbrake. It seems a little complicated. It has many options. I tried to the options the right way. In the picture section I left everything as default. I made the container MKV. I left Anamorphic loose And modules at 2. Then in the video section Video Codec was H.264((x264). I left Frame rate same as source and variable frame rate was selected with a radio button. There was some other stuff that I left as is. So then I ripped it. When it was done, the audio sounded fine but the video was all messed up. Should I change the video codec to MPEG-4 and try again

My System
post #15 of 69 Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Really, I don't know I am having so many issues just trying to do this. Now, when I hit source in handbrake, nothing comes up. It looks like it's doing something but Title, chapter, etc is blank and no matter what I do I can't figure it out. I don't know why it worked a few hours ago and now I can't get it to work.

My System
post #16 of 69 Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don't ask me how, but it is working now. Hopefully I won't have any more issues and I hope this makes regular dvd's look better on my server.

My System
post #17 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:

Well, I really wouldn't know where to start to trouble shoot. I have the settings correct in my server. I was told by the person who I bought the server from that they noticed a bit of what I was talking about as well, but maybe not as much. Maybe it's my Plasma? Who knows. I am just looking to try all things.

While I can assuredly say I don't know specifically what your problem is, I can say that your problem is not ripping software.
Quote:

I was just told that maybe Make MKV did not handle dvd's well so that's why I was wondering about other software.

Whomever told you this was incorrect. MakeMKV doesn't handle DVDs, it decrypts their container and remuxes the audio / video tracks (and subtitles) that you choose into a matroska (mkv) format.

Handbrake is touching (handling) your files by way of their open-source x264 re-encoder.

If a makemkv full-rip looks messed up during playback you have something improperly set in your playback software.

While the method you've chosen to experimentally test various ripping software has been scientific, it was based on a poor hypothesis that was told to you haphazardly by what sounds like could have been a sales person. I'd suggest applying similar tests to playback software this time. The quickest, easiest way to check playback is to download VideoLAN's VLC media player. Use the menu to "Open" whatever mkv file you have ripped from your DVD and compare playback to what you see when you playback with JRMC
MIkeDuke likes this.
post #18 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 01:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 63
i use makemkv to rip DVDs with no problem
post #19 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK Drakslayer, I downladed VLC and I played back one of the movies. It looked great. None of the other issues I was having before. But, I was also getting other info in my film, sort of like extra info about the film, but I stripped all of that stuff out with my rup. Plus, how do I get the 5.1 sound track as well. Is there another free playback system I can try? I guess this would mean Jriver is the issue?

Thanks
Mike

My System
post #20 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I figured out the other stuff but I can't get a sub track now. I have my audio device set to my 80.3 Audio says 3//2.1 butI am not getting a sub channel at all. Hopefully it's just another settings issue because if I could this to work, I would very happy. Any ideas on how I should configure VLC? Or any other playback containers I can try?
Thanks

My System
post #21 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I've got to ask, is your goal to reduce the size of you DVD rips? If not then you're making things way harder than you need to be. The whole point of Handbrake is to reduce the size of the rips, so if that's not your goal then you're better off going with something simpler.

Otherwise, take a look at this:
https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SurroundSoundGuide

You want to use pass-through mode, there's no point recompressing your DVD audio.

post #22 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Stranger,
No the idea is not make my dvd rips smaller. It is to make them look better because now, when I play the through Jriver media player itself, they look all choppy. When I played them through that VLC player they looked smooth as silk but I am getting no sub channel and maybe even no surround channels so I was wondering if there was another "container" I could try to watch my regular DVD's in.

My System
post #23 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tanscoding to h.264 isn't the right way to improve quality, it will in fact, necessarilly degrade quality (any lossy compression operation degrades quality, that said it could improve compatibility which might result in an overall better result). JRMC should be more than capable of playing DVDs well.

post #24 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I understand that and after I did it, I realized it was a mistake. I can tell you that JRMC is not playing DVD's well for me. If it can, I can not get it to do so. I have tried a ton of setup changes in Jriver and nothing has really worked. But by playing it through that VLC player, I can clearly see the difference. That's why I was wondering about another container to watch my DVD rips in.

My System
post #25 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Anydvd hd for copy to folder and it integrates with MyMovies. Use handbrake for encoding. Most people don't understand the tools and where their appropriate use come in.

Handbrake has a lot of options because it is a function of what it is designed to do.

An audiophile likes to talk about how much they spent and how good it sounds.

A DIY'er likes to talk about how little they spent and how good it sounds.

post #26 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Stranger,
No the idea is not make my dvd rips smaller. It is to make them look better because now, when I play the through Jriver media player itself, they look all choppy. When I played them through that VLC player they looked smooth as silk but I am getting no sub channel and maybe even no surround channels so I was wondering if there was another "container" I could try to watch my regular DVD's in.

If you're just trying to rip your DVDs, I would suggest just using MakeMKV. It'll be faster since you're not trying to save storage space. There should be any degradation from the DVD to mkv file.

I only skimmed your posts a bit, so I may be off. Sounds like you may need a more robust player. I would suggest VLC, as others have, or Media Player Classic, with more leanings toward the later. You can really fiddle with the settings and should be able to get video and audio the way you want. Personally, I don't use either. I use Plex Media Server and appropriate front end. But I have used MPC with AnyDVD HD to watch blu rays disc directly from the disc, on a very rare occasion.
post #27 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

Stranger,

Mike have you asked the question on the JRIver forum, they are far more knowledgable of their product than here and your more likely to get to the route of the problem quicker. Can't think that there'll be much wrong as I rip DVD's as well using MakeMKV and playback in all video players (including JRIver) is flawless. Which of the RedOctober settings are you using?
post #28 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Forgive my shortness but I am getting a little frustrated here. I am using MakeMKV for BR and DVD's. I am playing them back both through Jriver MC18. When I play back a DVD rip with Jriver, the video is crappy. When I play a BR back it looks fantastic. When I play a DVD rip back through VLC it looks fantastic but I am not getting the audio I should get because I get no subwoofer channel even though I have it setup .

No, I have not asked this in the Jriver forum because up until now, I was convinced by other people that the likely culprit was not Jriver but it was my ripping software. But I will ask it there as well. I have to double check what version of Red October I am using because I don't remember off hand.

My System
post #29 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 PM

i think so,Clone DVD requires AnyDVD. If you just want to try a raw DVD rip, DVD Shrink or DVD Fab Decrypter, or you can go really old school (though DVD Shrink is pretty old school) and use DVD Decrypter. All are free and will get you a DVD structure.

fFSB

post #30 of 69 Old 12-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you checked your Red October setting in JRiver? If you have it set on high it will make the video studer w/o high performance PC & video card.

I've been using DVD Shrink & moved to MakeMKV. I've also used DVD Decrypter recently (great for music video by chapter). I would be surprised if you issue is resolved by simply swapping rippers.

Another free video player is MPC-HC. It's good that you compared with two players.
Reply Home Theater Computers