Windows 8: Not Letting Me Change Settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I use a laptop with HDMI out for our Family Room viewing. Old laptop fried so wound up with this Windows 8 thing. Having a tough time getting use to it. In general, even though I'm signed in to the only user account of administrator, it's not letting me make certain changes which is really ticking me off. Hoping you guys can help me out since I trust you a lot more than some random forum site.

The perfect example to use as reference is the Advanced Power Options. The Advanced Settings has a selectable box next to 'Require a password on wakeup: On Battery or Plugged In'. You can select 'Yes' or 'No'. It has 'Yes' selected for both but it appears to be grayed out and won't let me change this option. How do I over-ride this or do I need to give myself some sort of permission to make these changes? These same type of selection issues appear to randomly be everywhere. I'm trying to not get the computer to shutoff the HDMI when the lid is closed and keep it from always needing a password.

Thanks for the help,
Neuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-23-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Did you get to those options by way of the "Change settings that are currently unavailable" link?

For details, see http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/11685-password-protection-wakeup-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html

Selden
post #3 of 3 Old 09-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

The perfect example to use as reference is the Advanced Power Options. The Advanced Settings has a selectable box next to 'Require a password on wakeup: On Battery or Plugged In'. You can select 'Yes' or 'No'. It has 'Yes' selected for both but it appears to be grayed out and won't let me change this option.

Look in the Window for a link that says "Change settings that are currently unavailable" when you click this it should allow you to change the grayed out settings.

Edit - Selden Ball beat me to it wink.gif
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page