Build a home NAS - What kind is the least power consumption? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-24-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm building a home nas with about 2 - 4 hdds based on ZFS (FreeNAS or NAS4Free) and just for storage.
Can you guys show me which CPU (Atom, Pentium, .. ) RAM, hdd, PSU, ... I should buy that cost less my power bill every month?
Thank you so much for your inputs.
andersa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 999
You need more specifics like what hard drives you want to use, if you are using a raid card- or using motherboard sata ports etc....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #3 of 12 Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
HP N40L or N54L. Small in every way (physical size, power draw, noise), except maybe price, but you can't custom build something this small for any cheaper. It holds up to 4 data drives with a minor bios modification.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-27-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Look at the Synology DS213j (2 bay) or DS413j (4 bay). They only draw a few watts when idle.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

Look at the Synology DS213j (2 bay) or DS413j (4 bay). They only draw a few watts when idle.
Thanks and yes, I did Eric. But for 1080p streaming over home network, they're totally crap.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Is performance or power consumption more important ?

If you have a choice of spending $50 more for few less wattage would you do it ?

Assuming you can choose:

$50 premium and full performance and best energy consumption
100% Full performance but only 80% in energy consumption / efficiency
100% in full energy consumption efficient but only 80% in performance

Which would you choose ? Which is more important ? And how much is lower energy worth to you ? How much is full performance worth ? What do you consider full performance ? (125MB/sec ? )

These are the issues you are facing.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #7 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Check out QNAP. Something like the TS-269L (about $500). 16W sleep, 25W in operation.

If you connecting via 1 Gigabit LAN connection... should have no problems steaming 1080p video. I have an older model (TS-219P+) and am quite pleased with it's abilities and all the extra features.

Also mine is scheduled to shutdown at night and wake-up again in the morning for further energy savings.

-DylanFromCanada

hometechprojects.com

My HTPC: Mini-Box M350 w/ 150W PICOPSU • ASUS P8H77-I mITX • Intel G2120 Dual Core 3.1GHz Ivy Bridge • Corsair DDR3 1333 Value 2x4GB • OCZ Vertex II 60GB SSD • Logitech Wireless K400 Keyboard • Logitech Harmony One • OpenELEC/XBMC

post #8 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There is a trade off between performance, capacity and energy efficiency. I originally planned to go with a Qnap SS-839Pro for energy efficiency and performance, sacrificing capacity. Fortunately, it was DOA from Newegg.com and I went with Synology DS1813+. I already had the 8 2.5" 1TB HGST 7200RPM 32MB Cache drives, so I started the Synology DS1813+ with them. After 1 month, I found the capacity too restrictive and upgraded to 8 3.5" 4TB Seagate NAS drives.

Qnap SS-839Pro is spec'd at 34w operational vs Synology DS1813+ (w/3.5" drives) spec'd at 75w

2.5" 1TB HGST drives are spec'd at 0.6w idle / 3w operational vs 3.5" 4TB Seagate NAS spec'd at 4w / 5w

I imagine half the power savings from the Qnap is because of the 2.5" drive limitation (~16w total). The other half is probably composed of smaller power supply and lower performance chipset of the Qnap.
post #9 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpee View Post

Thanks and yes, I did Eric. But for 1080p streaming over home network, they're totally crap.

Huh. The reviews peg them at ~60-90MBps streaming to multiple clients. I'm curious where the "totally crap" info comes from. Are you talking about running PMS or some other form of real-time transcoding? That's whole different ballgame in terms of what constitutes low power usage.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:

Huh. The reviews peg them at ~60-90MBps streaming to multiple clients. I'm curious where the "totally crap" info comes from. Are you talking about running PMS or some other form of real-time transcoding? That's whole different ballgame in terms of what constitutes low power usage.

I can say the Synology DS1813+ can TimeMachine backup both Macs, and record 6 HD shows via WMC iSCSI Target and playback 2 HD shows to extenders all simultaneously. CPU utilization never approached 10%. Using multiple clients I was able to achieve Synology's posted average transfer rates of 350MB/s / 220MB/s read/write.

Even a DS411Slim with 4 2.5" drives could handle the WMC workload above (not configured for the Mac TimeMachine backup). Switches and HTPC NICs posed more of a problem than the Synology NAS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

There is a trade off between performance, capacity and energy efficiency. I originally planned to go with a Qnap SS-839Pro for energy efficiency and performance, sacrificing capacity. Fortunately, it was DOA from Newegg.com and I went with Synology DS1813+. I already had the 8 2.5" 1TB HGST 7200RPM 32MB Cache drives, so I started the Synology DS1813+ with them. After 1 month, I found the capacity too restrictive and upgraded to 8 3.5" 4TB Seagate NAS drives.

Qnap SS-839Pro is spec'd at 34w operational vs Synology DS1813+ (w/3.5" drives) spec'd at 75w

2.5" 1TB HGST drives are spec'd at 0.6w idle / 3w operational vs 3.5" 4TB Seagate NAS spec'd at 4w / 5w

I imagine half the power savings from the Qnap is because of the 2.5" drive limitation (~16w total). The other half is probably composed of smaller power supply and lower performance chipset of the Qnap.

FWIW. To offset the energy cost of the 8 bay DS1813+ loaded with 3.5" drives, I installed 25 Phillips Dimmable LED bulbs. Now only if I could offset the cost of the Tivo Roamio, which is much higher than the Intel NUC running WMC (primarily due to Tivo Roamio never sleeping).
post #11 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

I can say the Synology DS1813+ can TimeMachine backup both Macs, and record 6 HD shows via WMC iSCSI Target and playback 2 HD shows to extenders all simultaneously. CPU utilization never approached 10%. Using multiple clients I was able to achieve Synology's posted average transfer rates of 350MB/s / 220MB/s read/write.

Even a DS411Slim with 4 2.5" drives could handle the WMC workload above (not configured for the Mac TimeMachine backup). Switches and HTPC NICs posed more of a problem than the Synology NAS.

How did you guys set it up? My PCH player only connects (sees) to Synology nas thru SMB setting (not NFS) over 1Gig netwrok. It got lag/ stuttering a lot with 1080p movies, it's actually fine with 720p.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 08:32 PM

I'm running DSM 4.3 and have SMB and AFP enabled, no NFS. All indexing services are disabled. Media sharing application is also disabled. The drives are configured in an 8 drive SHR-2 RAID array. ISCSI single drive at the block level maxed out gigabit easily. RAID 5 is tested on the DS1813+ up to 350MB/s average read. Since upgrading to SHR-2 I've not had all 4 NICs connected to see if there is a loss. If any, I imagine it would be on the write side vs read. Either way writes currently max out a single gigabit connection anyway.

For lower powered NAS, disable all unnecessary protocols. The firewall is disabled by default, but if you enabled it you may want to disable for testing. Media Indexing is also another resource hog that can slow down the system. Also, disable Jumbo MTU / frames unless the entire storage network supports 9000 MTU. That includes HTPC NIC and switches. Jumbo frames does not improve streaming, only large file transfers under extreme circumstances.

As far as XBMC, I just point each library at the network share. I use one of the XBMC apps to auto update to refresh the library. XBMC is default with exception of the Xperience1080 skin and XBMC launcher. In Windows 8 Professional on an Intel NUC i5, I use all the default driver configurations and only updated the Intel 7260-AC.
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page