The time has come... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 09-24-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 142
My wife just sent me a text message: "Hey, tv says service is scrambled. 'The current service is encrypted and can't be viewed'. Is there a way for me to fix it?"

Comcast encrypted the limited basic service today. ClearQAM is officially dead at my house.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-24-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

My wife just sent me a text message: "Hey, tv says service is scrambled. 'The current service is encrypted and can't be viewed'. Is there a way for me to fix it?"

Comcast encrypted the limited basic service today. ClearQAM is officially dead at my house.

HDHomerun and Digital Antenna?

or

HDHR Prime and Subscription?

I'm thinking of getting rid of the subscription and HDHR Prime in lieu of Netflix and a faster tier Internet. I've ended up buying truckloads of blu rays either way. The standard off promo digital cable package is about $50, and I don't know that we are getting that much value from it. I'll probably keep it through the College Football season smile.gif
post #3 of 20 Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

OTA or CableCard. Do you NEED the cable channels you watched; or could you get by fine using OTA+NetFlix (streaming+discs; or just one or the other)+Hulu (in terms of downloading, I'm not your mother so that always is an option, but let's not factor that into the equation here for the sake of staying legal)? If you can get by without cable, then OTA is the answer, if not, CableCard is obviously the only answer left.
post #4 of 20 Old 09-24-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, I have a HDHR-CC and HDHR-US. I am simply lamenting the fact I've lost two tuners today. OTA is not an option where I live so the HDHR-US is dead (aka eBay-fodder) to me.

My real choice now is add another HDHR-CC and get another CableCard and deal with that process and the associated fee OR spend the money on the Ceton 6-tuner network tuner and re-pair. I need to look into the price of an additional CableCard vs. getting the Ceton 6-tuner and selling my HDHR-CC.

And thanks for not being my mother smile.gif

post #5 of 20 Old 09-24-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone have the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH? How do you like it?

post #6 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Generally, I like it. I have an issue where if I start multiple recordings at the same time some of them fail which seems to be related to SDV, but other than that...no issues.

Also, is this a one pc (with extenders) system or are you planning to connect multiple PCs with it? If it is the latter, it has been documented online that there is a rather nasty bug that causes pixelation if two tuners are tuned to the same channel. That isn't an issue for me as I use extenders.

-- Jim
post #7 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I replaced my Ceton Infitiv4 Pci card with a ETH6 about two months ago when I moved and lost my OTA capability, so I wanted the extra CC tuners to compensate when recording Locals. For me the added stability over the internal CC tuner was a good thing for my system. It works very well for me. I followed the suggestions of people on the forums regarding heat, I elevated mine slightly so that passive airflow would be sufficient. I have had times where 5 of the 6 tuners were recording at once through Sage with no issues.
post #8 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My setup is a couple of HTPCs connected to TVs, one Linksys extender and I also watch TV sometimes on my office PC while I am building PCs.

It's not clear to me if tuner sharing as it's done with HDHR-CC works on the Ceton other than in Beta firmware. I'd rather not have to allocate specific tuners to specific HTPCs/PCs. I want it to grab the next one available like my HDHR-CC does.

post #9 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 998
Quote:

Those bastards mad.gif

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #10 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not clear to me if tuner sharing as it's done with HDHR-CC works on the Ceton other than in Beta firmware.
I've been wondering the same thing. I'd like to know before a good deal on the Eth6 hits.

Agreeably, I have zero interest in binding tuners around the house
post #11 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Those bastards mad.gif

I posed my lament on FB. My post got one like from my friend who's a VP at Comcast.

Bastages.

post #12 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM

If you have no other devices provided by Comcast, the first CC is free and the second should only cost $3.99 a month (maybe $2.99, but not more). They tried to charge me for the one I had, but had it removed plus receive a customer owned equipment credit per month, so I actually received a reduction in my bill.

Of course, all of this is dependent on the intelligence level of the representative you get if you're not already getting these things. It was a bit of a fight for me.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/about-cablecards/
post #13 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's my math so far in weighing the ETH6 vs. getting a 2nd HDHR-CC

Buy ETH6: $300
Sell HDHR-CC on eBay: $100 (guesstimate)
Total $200

Buy HDHR-CC #2: $130

Difference: ~$70

CC #2 rental: $3 or $4/mo
70/3 = 23.33
70/4 = 17.5

So, the break even point for getting the ETH6 happens around 1.5 - 2 years assuming I get a decent price for my HDHR-CC and the cost of that 2nd CC is accurate. I need to talk to Comcast because I was reading they might also tack on a $1.99/mo "outlet fee" since it would be for a 2nd device which they assume to mean something hooked up to a 2nd TV.

post #14 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleslie View Post

Of course, all of this is dependent on the intelligence level of the representative you get if you're not already getting these things. It was a bit of a fight for me.

Yes, the one time I posed this question the representative guaranteed that my second cablecard (whether or not it included a device rental) was going to be $9.99 / mo. I told her that she was incorrect, and she said the same about me. I still only have 1, and I do receive the customer owned equipment credit
post #15 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Yes, the one time I posed this question the representative guaranteed that my second cablecard (whether or not it included a device rental) was going to be $9.99 / mo. I told her that she was incorrect, and she said the same about me. I still only have 1, and I do receive the customer owned equipment credit

That's better than what I got. When I started the discussion with my rep and directed him to that site for reference, he told me that it was determined by locale and that I should not be seeing that page. So I asked if he meant Georgia should be blocked from seeing that page. I received a, "Yes" answer. There was much more stupidity to follow...I actually saved the transcript somewhere. Anyway, I eventually asked to be transferred to retention and got it taken care of.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My gut is telling me to stick with one device by getting the ETH6. This is based not only on my math but my belief the having them re-pair the CC I already have with a new device will be a lot easier than getting a new card paired with a new device. biggrin.gif

One thing I believe helped me out the first time was that I went to the office and picked up the CC. The people there were very helpful and confirmed they had the right information in my account before I left the office. Activation required the phone call to the special number and a 'hit'. Mainstream support was never involved.

post #17 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 PM

I think either would be fine. Weak link in either choice is still going to be Comcast lol
post #18 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
@StardogChampion I feel your pain. On my latest bill from Comcast, it stated that on November 19 they will start encrypting all Limited Basic channels in my area too. Guess my 2 HDHomeruns that I've been running since they were first introduced will be heading out to pasture soon frown.gif
post #19 of 20 Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I gotta say it's so hard to know what works and what doesn't. All the post about pixilation/networking issues with the ETH6 are scaring me away. I had it in my Newegg cart with today's 10% off coupon but I can't pull the trigger. The thing is my SD HDHR-CC works and has been for two years. I guess I didn't add that into the equation above.

post #20 of 20 Old 09-26-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

My setup is a couple of HTPCs connected to TVs, one Linksys extender and I also watch TV sometimes on my office PC while I am building PCs.

It's not clear to me if tuner sharing as it's done with HDHR-CC works on the Ceton other than in Beta firmware. I'd rather not have to allocate specific tuners to specific HTPCs/PCs. I want it to grab the next one available like my HDHR-CC does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

I've been wondering the same thing. I'd like to know before a good deal on the Eth6 hits.

Agreeably, I have zero interest in binding tuners around the house

It is dynamic, just like SDHRD/US. Don't have SDHRP to see if it is the same.

ETH has been very stable in a month that we owned it. I did have to flash it with Beta firmware, since one it was shipped with was not stable and did not have dynamic tuner pooling ability.

6 TV's in the house on FiOS and we only pay $4.99/month to connect them all!!! Power to the CableCard and WMC7!!!
Reply Home Theater Computers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page