Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I consider this the ultimate way to use XBMC w/ WMC

I have tried the Technowebworks XBMC integration tool, and I don't think it's as good as the method I'll describe below. I use XBMC a lot, and up until now we've been using alt+tab (remote control mapped button) to switch between the two since the integration tool wasn't really that great. It also showed the desktop (gasp) after exiting XBMC while waiting for it to "re"launch WMC. I never had it fail, and consider a good tool but the following is a much better method IMO

The cleanup of this tool's credit belongs to krustyreturns at the XBMC forums (who's also hosting it on their skydrive). Bernr wrote the installer for it. You can get it here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=139748&pid=1334159#pid1334159. Or if you want the direct download LINK

You should extract the downloaded zip somewhere permanent. Wherever you extract it will be the app folder. It should look like this after extraction

Run the addininstall executable and you should get a message saying registration successful (or similar). If you look in your WMC extras library, there should be a new extra named "OneAppLauncher"

That's pretty much all it will take if you know your way around XBMC skins and Advanced Launcher. If not just follow along. I'm most familiar with Aeon Nox, so I'll use that as an example

To review what you've installed (and can use the addin uninstall executable to remove) is actually a WMC extra an application named QuickWMC (given a description of WMC Hijacker)

What's neat about using this program to launch specific WMC shortcuts is that your remote's "BACK" key (or backspace for mapped/keyboard usage) will not take you to the WMC main menu but instead exit and return you back to your previous app (XBMC)

Edit: updated credit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

To use the "shortcuts" from the QuickWMC folder in XBMC you'll need to install advanced launcher. There are two ways to install it, but the way I installed it was by adding the repo http://www.gwenael.org/Repository/repository.angelscry.xbmc-plugins/repository.angelscry.xbmc-plugins-1.2.2.zip

After you download the repo, go to XBMC settings -> Add-ons -> Install from zip file

You'll get a notification that says "Angelscry Repo - Addon enabled"

Then you'll want to choose "Get Add-ons" and your screen should like this

Choose Angelscry Repository -> Program Add-ons -> Advanced Launcher -> Install

After it installs, you'll want to choose Launch. It should take you to a page with "Default" listed. You'll want to right click or press "C" on the keyboard. It should look like this

I created a new category, but it's not necessary. If you create a new category, you should highlight that category and press "C" (otherwise highlight default and press "C") then choose "Add New Launcher"

The "Create New Launcher" dialog should open, and you'll want to choose Standalone launcher (normal executable)

You want to go to your extracted QuickWMC folder and select the QuickWMC executable. Do not select the lnk shortcuts - they will work but launch a dos prompt.

The next screen will ask you for Application arguments and have "%rom%" prepopulated

You'll want to replace "%rom%" with the specific shortcut you want to pass along to QuickWMC. These argument shortcuts can be found by opening the LNK files in the extracted folder. Notice the target to "RecordedTV.LNK" for example, is
Quote:
C:/path/to/QuickWMC/QuickWMC.exe recordedtv
After some help on the XBMC forum, we found that replacing "%rom%" with the correct shortcut name - as listed in the LNK target behind the space - works to keep XBMC fullscreen then WMC fullscreen without a dos-prompt or any other pesky interruption. Here are the names of the default included shortcuts (match case)
  • tvguide
  • ScheduledTVRecordings
  • recordedtv
  • livetv
  • netflix

So whichever particular one you want to create needs to replace "%rom%" in the Application arguments folder

Then it will ask you to give the title. It will be QuickWMC by default, so replace it with whichever argument you've used (i.e. Recorded TV, TV Guide, etc)

Then Advanced Launcher is going to ask you to Select the platform. Choose IBM PC Compatible

Finally, Advanced Launcher will ask you to select a Thumbnails Path and Fanarts Path. It will point you to a directory. This is built to fetch artwork from thegamesdb for ROMs, so it's completely unnecessary for us since it won't be able to scrape anything anyway. You can choose "Cancel" for both, or simply hit backspace twice.

Now you'll be back to the Advanced Launcher homepage. Whether you created a category or used default, your launcher will be stored in the one that was highlighted when you selected "Create New Launcher"

If you want to double check things or change info, you can press "C" or right click the specific launcher and choose "Edit Launcher"

The edit menu looks like this

Modify Datas/Infos is where you can rename the launcher

Advanced Modifications is what you'll need to change if the launcher isn't working properly or you borked the instructions. Ensure the executable is chosen as the top line (change application), and the Modify Arguments should match the title of the launcher you are looking at. The other settings should NOT need to be changed from default (Toggle XBMC and Shortcuts support)

You have to "Create a New Launcher" for each shortcut you want to use, and each time you will select the same QuickWMC executable. You'll just give each one separate arguments for the shortcut you want.
post #3 of 35 Old 09-24-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now you need to get these launchers on the main menu. If you don't know how to do this follow below. Not every skin has identical features and options, so to follow directly you'll need to use Aeon Nox

No matter which skin you use, you'll have to mark each launcher as a favorite. I don't know of any skin that lets you add a specific, drilled down portion of an add-on as a menu item. You can usually add advanced launcher to a skin's homescreen, but not specific launchers within Advanced Launcher unless they are marked as favorites.

You can go to each launcher and press "C" (or right click) then select "Add to favourites" (apparently there is some Euro influence on the spelling of XBMC menu items smile.gif favourite)

Then on the main menu, you'll need to go to System and press down to view the System Submenu. You'll choose "Edit Main Menu"

I use this opportunity to hide a bunch of stuff I don't use (Programs, TVGuide - which by default in NOX is a useless-to-me add-on, Favourites, Videos, etc) I hide videos because I only use the Movies / TV shows menus. You can really customize anything to be what you want, but I simply choose one of the Custom menus with an X on it (Custom 1)

You'll either click or press "OK" / "Enter" to bring up the skin's Main Menu Edit menu

1. The top left option is "Disable" and you'll need to "deselect" this if you want the menu to show up on your home screen
  2. The next option is "Choose Type" of which you'll want to choose "Favourite" then select the Favourite of choice (For this I use TV Guide)
  3. You'll want to "Change label" to match whatever you want the title of the menu to be (I use Live TV at home, but WMC for example below)
  4. You can create each favourite as it's own menu item, or you can add them as submenu items, or you can add them as widgets - I chose to add them as widgets to an icon panel
  5. To add the other favourites into an icon panel you'll need to select "Icon panel 1" from the "Choose widget" option

After this, you can hit "backspace" until you are back to the Main Menu (exits the Main Menu Editor). Then you want to navigate to your newly created menu and press "up" to access your icon panel (Should be 5 boxes with a +) Click or press enter on each + and you'll be able to select your choice for that item (favourite then whichever launcher you want in the order you want). You'll also be able to "Set Icon" and choose an image if you want. I used all 5 since you can't get rid of the extras if you leave them empty. This is what mine looks like in the end (I also disabled the submenu for the entry on the "Custom 1" edit menu - Set Submenu -> then disable any enabled submenus)

After you press each one, remember just press 'backspace" or "back" to return to XBMC. Note if you use the guide then stop then view a different channel and stop then you'll have to press "back" as many times as channels you viewed (i.e. just keep pressing back)

An icon pops up in your taskbar each time you use these, but they will disappear when you mouse over them
post #4 of 35 Old 09-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First a guide to view cable channels in XBMC with a Homerun Prime, now a ultimate WMC integration guide? I take it you no longer use NPVR with XBMC? Have you tried the WMC backend server http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171216

Are you the same user in both forums? Looks like you are trying to sort out using an HDHR Prime with TVHeadend if you are the same user. The lonelycoder board used to have some links to a patched dvbhdhomerun that was allowing some to view channels, but I don't recall if it was ever implemented or carried over to the tvheadend site. The backend server I linked will work with x86 or 64 builds of OpenELEC if your interested in experimenting
post #5 of 35 Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th-horseman View Post

First a guide to view cable channels in XBMC with a Homerun Prime, now a ultimate WMC integration guide? I take it you no longer use NPVR with XBMC? Have you tried the WMC backend server http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=171216

Are you the same user in both forums? Looks like you are trying to sort out using an HDHR Prime with TVHeadend if you are the same user. The lonelycoder board used to have some links to a patched dvbhdhomerun that was allowing some to view channels, but I don't recall if it was ever implemented or carried over to the tvheadend site. The backend server I linked will work with x86 or 64 builds of OpenELEC if your interested in experimenting

Thanks and no I've thrown in the towel (for now) on NPVR/XBMC.

I've not tried the wmc.pvr integration they developed, because I'm pretty sure it will be plagued with the same channel change delays that were present in my NPVR XBMC setup.

The XBMC changes by FernetMenta (used by margro in the "fast PVR" builds) were never added to an OE build I could try, so the experience became pretty tolerable on my server/htpc but remained a headache on my OE box. I still have over 6 months left on my Schedules Direct subscription, so that's kind of what I was looking into TVHeadend for rolleyes.gif Also, yes I go by the same name on both forums. I also thought that it would perform better without the "backend" dependency in the loop. Using WMC as a backend might allow for a slightly more stable channel changing experience, but I couldn't tell if the other things had been worked out yet.

I'm pretty happy with the shortcut setup since everything stays full screen and WMC simply feels like an extension of XBMC

Mediabrowser devs should probably consider this for MB3. It certainly feels more "fluid" than the old XBMC integration, and it's honestly more preferable to me than the "classic" way of switching between WMC/MB

Without an SSD this would probably suck though. WIth my setup, each shortcut is launched in under 3 seconds

As a final note, I should mention this has only been implemented at home for 4 days but received immediate 100% WAF smile.gif
post #6 of 35 Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So I've recently downloaded the "WMC as the backend - released" server and clients pieces by "Krustyreturns" mentioned above by Dark_Slayer for the wmc.pvr integration with OpenELEC. This has got me pretty excited as I can now use small cheap Linux XBMC clients to talk to my Win7-WMC host (server) for LiveTV with my HDHR Prime and Comcast Xfinity HD cable.

The interesting part for me is that I'm running the following on a Gigabit wired LAN.

The server:
  • ESXi-5.1 server using an Asrock H77 Pro4M with i5-3550 4cores and 16GB RAM, IBM HBA for JBOD disks
  • Virtual win7-WMC machine with the "serverWMC-1068" on 64GB SSD (500GB drive for RecordedTV folder and buffers)
  • Virtual WHS2011on 128GB SSD using IBM HBA on passthru to 4 3TB drives with Flexraid
  • Virtual 2008R2 server
  • Virtual pfsense router/firewall (with Intel PCIe dual Ethernet card)
  • Virtual server for control of APC UPS

The OpenELEC client:
  • Asus A8N-VM CSM MicroATX with an AMD 939-64-X2 processor, 2GB RAM, 4GB USB stick to boot
  • OpenELEC x86 linux client
  • WMCpvr addon (linux-x86-1011)

LiveTV seems to work great picture wise to a PC monitor and all my channels seem to be in the EPG. I still need to do some testing on sound and a connection to my 60" LG Plasma. I'll also need to get a USB IR setup for remote control.

Looking forward to see if I can get this to work adequately for LiveTV, stored video files on the WHS server, and also provide lossless audio distribution (server files and internet radio) to multiple locations in my house. I can actually do remote login to win7-WMC to setup Recorded TV if I want to (that already works).
post #7 of 35 Old 09-26-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

This has got me pretty excited as I can now use small cheap Linux XBMC clients to talk to my Win7-WMC host (server) for LiveTV with my HDHR Prime and Comcast Xfinity HD cable.
I'm also excited by this. The entire guide here would only be a stop-gap if PVR playback, series recording, and channel changes with that add-on can make it to WMC levels.

WMC for cablecard playback still has that "not broke don't fix" thing going, so just being able to cleanly integrate the shortcuts was exciting for me. Obviously the full integration backend and addon would be more elegant, but I'm no longer willing to sacrifice the performance we're used to with Comcast/HDHRPrime/WMC.

Either way I'll probably load up the server and check out the linux add on for openelec. I've just been forgoing the live tv experience in OpenELEC and only playing back recordings in addition to typical movie/tv show/music playback. wmc.pvr could bring live tv back
post #8 of 35 Old 10-02-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another note for anyone interested (surprised with such little WMC diehard response / views)

You can change the Advanced Launcher startup delay from 1s to 0s (might mess up ROM launching, but if your only using it for this no problem)

Settings > Addons > Enabled addons > Program addons > Advanced Launcher > Configure > Miscellaneous > Startup Delay (default should say 1000 ms)
post #9 of 35 Old 10-03-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I can report back on my use of the OpenELEC/XBMC client and win7-64-WMC/XBMC server add-on for use with Comcast cable (Xfinity TV Digital Starter w/OnDemand) and the HRHomerun Prime (with Motorola cablecard installed for 3 tuners). My current plan is to keep one cable box rental on one TV for OnDemand access.

The OLEC/XBMC client supports what I want for Live TV and server access via samba to movies, Youtube videos, and lossless music (with optical SPDIF) for PCM, 5.1 DD, and 5.1 DTS. My Proceed AVP2 prepro and HK-AVR240 receiver only support PCM and 5.1, so I'm good with this audio setup. Video is either component or DVI.

The twist in this setup is my use of a virtual win7-64 WMC as the backend server. I have a number of virtual machines including my win7-64-WMC, WHS2011, pfsense, and more on an ESXi 5.1 server running on an Asrock H77 MATX board with an i5-3550 and 16GB RAM. It runs great and I can use a number of my older AMD Athlon64-X2 MATX MBs with nVidia 6150 onboard video as OELEC clients.

For me, right now, this is the best way to use WMC as a PVR and LiveTV anywhere else in my house. I'm excited to get this completed in all the rooms, even though Comcast is now indicating they will encrypt all channels and no longer allow people to plug a cable into their RG-60 cable input ports on their TVs to get Basic cable.

Now I need to also spend some time on IR remote control integration. I have a number of Sony Universal remotes I'm going to work with and also have a JP1 RCA universal (with JP1 cable for pgmng changes).

Note: Since I'm using win7-64Pro as the virtual WMC, I can remote login to my win7-WMC machine at any time as well.
post #10 of 35 Old 11-19-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
have you tried the MB3 plugin yet ??

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #11 of 35 Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 103
It is very early. Not really ready for someone who's looking for immediate polish, but rather people who want to be part of the process of maturing it.
post #12 of 35 Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

have you tried the MB3 plugin yet ??

Why ?

My OLEC clients are running on a usb flash drive boot, no OS cost, no OS hard drives or SSD.

Are you talking about an OLEC MB3 plugin ?

My virtual win7-64 WMC server is currently supplying all content including encrypted Xfinity cable channels from the HD homerun Prime.

Is MB3 a plugin for both the OLEC client and a plugin for the win7-64 WMC server ?

What is the benefit of MB3 on the win7-64 WMC virtual machine (if it will even work in a virtual environment) ?
post #13 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 10
Hi Bruce,

I was looking for information on setting up exactly the same thing, and your post helps a lot. I am familiar with openelec setup, but confused on the WMC server side, Can you please provide more information on the server side?

I already have a NAS with N40L, I am thinking setting up a virtual WMC on N40L will be bit too much. I have another Windows 8 machine and a extra Win7 license, may be I can setup virtual WMC on that machine.

Was there any issue with Digital cable advisor? How did you get past that?

Also, how does the integration work for you? would you say it is pre-alpha, alpha... etc.
post #14 of 35 Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpaxmember View Post

I was looking for information on setting up exactly the same thing, and your post helps a lot. I am familiar with openelec setup, but confused on the WMC server side, Can you please provide more information on the server side?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=PVR/Backend/ServerWMC

It's post-beta at this point, and pretty robust due to the stable nature of WMC

If you are using WMC with a cablecard this won't work for any providers other than Comcast or Fios
post #15 of 35 Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Bruce,

I already have a NAS with N40L, I am thinking setting up a virtual WMC on N40L will be bit too much. I have another Windows 8 machine and a extra Win7 license, may be I can setup virtual WMC on that machine.

Was there any issue with Digital cable advisor? How did you get past that?

Also, how does the integration work for you? would you say it is pre-alpha, alpha... etc.

lpax,

As you probably read in post#9 of this thread (where I detail my components), I did extensive research on what Intel CPU and MB would provide the correct virtual capability for an ESXi 5 server (including device passthru for the IBM-1015 card - JBOD for 8 sata drives). You also need to take into account the Intel CPU capability (Quad-core desirable and on-board GPU/video) plus plenty of RAM (I started with 16GB).

I'm sure your NAS would NOT work, not a powerful enough CPU.

The key to this equation is as Dark_Slayer pointed out with his link, the WMC server software that gets installed on the win7 WMC virtual machine. You also need to install the software for the HDHomerun Prime on the WMC virtual machine. I never saw any reference to the Digital cable advisor in my installation, but I actually activated my cablecard HDHomerun Prime with Comcast before I did any connections with WMC.

Then in OE you select the plug-in for the WMC-server as the client player in the configuration menu. You also need to select the plug-in for the HDHomerun Prime. You also need to configure samba in OE for access to the shared WMC network.
post #16 of 35 Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 PM

Thanks for your replies, Dark_Slayer and BruceD.

I have currently replaced the openelec htpc with a windows 7 with WMC/XBMC with basic XBMC integration. This is only temporary arrangement, I don't like xmbc inside windows at all.
My openelec htpc was much more responsive and very fast compared to xbmc under windows.

I am planning to setup my old win7 desktop as the WMC server. It has enough CPU power and disk to support WMC needs. and switch back openelec htpc client.

BTW what is the difference between ESXi and vmware player? Can I use VMWare player to setup win7 on a Dell desktop with core i7 and 16GB RAM?
post #17 of 35 Old 11-26-2013, 05:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

. . . . .
BTW what is the difference between ESXi and vmware player? Can I use VMWare player to setup win7 on a Dell desktop with core i7 and 16GB RAM?

ESXi is the "Operating System" on the bare metal of the computer ( i.e. no Microsoft OS is installed on the bare computer hardware ), ESXi is installed as soon as you have the hardware together.

All Microsoft OS's are virtual when you use ESXi as the "HOST OS" on the computer. The most important criteria when using ESXi is to pick compatible or "approved" products (CPU, MB). I didn't want to buy the expensive "approved" server MB products, so I searched online for people using various consumer MB products till I found info about people using the products I wanted with ESXi.

I have no experience with vmplayer and don't know anything about it, except that it runs under a Microsoft OS, which is problematic.
post #18 of 35 Old 11-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Wikipedia has a good picture of the difference, but BruceD is right. VMware Player runs on top of Windows/Linux and is a type 2 hypervisor. ESXi does not run on top of anything and is a type 1 hypervisor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor

There's a good picture right under classification. The hypervisor refers to ESXi or VMware Player.
post #19 of 35 Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM

Love this setup! A couple months ago I got a Ceton InfiniTV 4 for my Verizon FIOS so I could ditch the $17/mo HD DVR's in place of a $5/mo cablecard and use my Xbox 360 as an extender. I've been an XBMC user for many many years (back to when the Xbox in the name referred to the hardware it was designed for), so I knew I needed to find a way to have both WMC and XBMC co-exist. Initially, it was just alt-tabbing like you did. This was far from ideal along with the SPDIF WASAPI handoff from XBMC and WMC not always playing nicely (still doesn't, but much more manageable). I tried the WMC Backend about a month ago and it was a no-go for me. Channel changes were too slow, having to jump back into WMC for Netflix, recording options, etc kinda defeated the purpose, and HBO/Cinemax "copy once" flags caused issues.

Then.....I ran across this thread and found your QuickWMC integration and it works close to perfect! With an SSD (and old hardware elsewhere to be honest), it launches the specific WMC locations very quickly and escaping out is super smooth.

A couple of items I ran across that I wanted to point out in case others run into the same scenarios.

1 - I had XBMC set up in true fullscreen due to some HDCP handshake issues that have since been resolved. When XBMC is set to true fullscreen and you use the QuickWMC launch buttons you see the desktop, then WMC. Also, IIRC escaping back out caused issues getting back to XBMC (I'd have to retest to be sure). Switching to the windowed fullscreen solved my problems and I have since addressed the HDCP issue too.

2 - SPDIF audio. I don't know if this is the same with HDMI audio, but in order to use WASAPI for SPDIF output in XBMC, you have to enable exclusive mode for applications in Windows. This means that the application handling audio has to give up control before another one can get it. Although launching into WMC and back to XBMC is super quick, the audio handoffs tend to take 3-5 seconds. This is typically fine as I am normally navigating the TV Guide, Netflix, or somewhere in XBMC as the handoff is taking place. If I try to start playing something before this completes, WMC complains. This also makes using the Live TV shortcut not very useful.

So, my current setup is now.

Hardware:
Old Gygabyte LGA 775 Mobo
Core 2 Duo e8400 3.0Ghz
Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS 512 GPU
120GB SSD for OS
1TB drive for recordings
Separate media server running unRAID for media storage w/ ~10TB
Flirc USB IR Receiver w/ unreturned (oops) FIOS remote

Software:
XBMC (Frodo) w/ Aeon MQ 5 skin for all of my ripped movies, archived TV shows, Revision3, PseudoTV, and many others
QuickWMC to launch WMC w/ Ceton InfiniTV 4 for live TV, some "copy once" content, recording setup, and Netflix
- MCEBuddy w/ Comskip for post-processing of recorded content that is then sent to my media server, sorted by Sickbeard, and updated in XBMC
Steam running in Big Picture Mode for games that can still run on my outdated HTPC hardware
post #20 of 35 Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Question: If you have a main WMC server and a separate PC running XBMC with this mod, and I view the guide and set something to record, it's going to want to record to the local (client) PC, not on the main server, right? My client XBMC is an Acer Revo ATOM/ION box. I've got it running OpenElec now. I experimented with Windows 7 Media Center on that little box a while ago and it performed horribly running WMC (I think the big problem was that WMC wants to overlay the GUI on top of live TV and the ATOM CPU wasn't up to that). XBMC ran fine on that box under Windows 7 and is probably even better under OpenElec and it can play any content I throw at it (thanks to the NVIDIA ION GPU).

Anyway, it sounds like the solution posted here won't be a great option for me with this low-powered nettop box.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #21 of 35 Old 11-30-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srauly View Post

Question: If you have a main WMC server and a separate PC running XBMC with this mod, and I view the guide and set something to record, it's going to want to record to the local (client) PC, not on the main server, right? . . . . .

If you set-up the samba plug-in on the XBMC-client to access the WMC Homegroup you setup on the win7WMC server, then the XBMC client should be able to use the WMC server's recordedTV folder to store the recorded shows you select on the XBMC client.

This assumes you have 1st installed the XBMC-WMC server plug-in on the win7WMC server.

Note: I have done the above with an OpenELEC client (which is XBMC) to a win7WMC server.
post #22 of 35 Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Ah, very cool. Thanks for that info. Still not sure if I'm ready to dive into all of this, but that gets me more interested. As much as I'd like a single UI to navigate, the XBox 360 I already own and use in the other room just plain works, and I'm sure that I'll need to do a lot of fiddling to get all of this working, and the end result may be lacking in some way or another.

Scott R
--------------
I'd much rather watch a great movie in B&W at 240 lines of resolution than a lousy movie in 1080p with lossless audio.
post #23 of 35 Old 11-30-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceD View Post

The most important criteria when using ESXi is to pick compatible or "approved" products (CPU, MB). I didn't want to buy the expensive "approved" server MB products, so I searched online for people using various consumer MB products till I found info about people using the products I wanted with ESXi
Where did you look for "approved" cpu/mb combinations? What cpu did you go with?
post #24 of 35 Old 12-01-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Where did you look for "approved" cpu/mb combinations? What cpu did you go with?

VMware community site doesn't seem to be updated with current products.

For MB I found some info about Asrock MB use with esxi on Youtube, and the unRAID site
http://www.tinkertry.com/vsphere5-install-step-by-step/
http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=14695.msg138463#msg138463

and the following
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqp_xYBwP_Y7dE5EclhtaDdIV09lNWxfODd1alRUTlE#gid=0

Selected the CPU by comparing all specs on Intel website. I'm using an I5-3550 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz, specifically checking for vPro, VT-x, VT-d, and GPU.
http://ark.intel.com/products/65516/Intel-Core-i5-3550-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
Dark_Slayer likes this.
post #25 of 35 Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 593
What is the advantage to using VMware ?? That it can run multiple OSes on the same pc without rebooting ?

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #26 of 35 Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the advantage to using VMware ?? That it can run multiple OSes on the same pc without rebooting ?
You got it

Plex server can be run from a standalone nix distro
Router can be replaced with pfsense, ipfire, ipcop, LEAF (though I'm not sure which ones work well with esxi)
Roll-your-own musicbrainz mirror
Roll-your-own newznab
Run virtually any git-based software from source (sickbeard, couchpotato, etc)
Run a ZFS server or WHS beside a normal windows installation

All separate machines running atop ESXi. If any are acting up or need maintenance, bring it down without bringing everything down
post #27 of 35 Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, One (1) single server machine (consumer desktop MB and CPU), my cable modem, and my wifi access point all running on a a single APC battery backup.

This one PC (Asrock H77 Ivy Bridge MB, Intel i5-3550 CPU w/GPU, 16GB RAM) has ESXi5.1 VMware (free) with the following virtual machines running on it:
1) win7-64bit WMC (my master for cable recording) (HDHomerun Prime with Comcast cable card)
2) pfsense router/firewall (Comcast Internet)
3) WHS 2011 with IBM 1015 card passthru to 5 3TB drives with Flexraid
4) MS svr 2008R2 for testing
5) plans for a linux OS to control APC auto shutdown
6) plans for Plex and more ?

Using OpenELEC on 3-4 client machines, including a NUC, for music, movies, and LiveTV plus recording.
Just a note, I did make a compromise on the GPU in the i5 ( Intel® HD Graphics 2500), but I'm still happy with my trial at using ESXi.
post #28 of 35 Old 12-15-2013, 12:00 AM

Is there some special installation instructions for installing WMC.pvr on openelec? It says downloding 0% then quits. I installed the immortal frodo repo
post #29 of 35 Old 12-15-2013, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinkerer View Post

Is there some special installation instructions for installing WMC.pvr on openelec? It says downloding 0% then quits. I installed the immortal frodo repo

I installed from zip prior to repo existence. I'll have to redo this soon. I'll try the repo then and let you know
post #30 of 35 Old 12-16-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinkerer View Post

I think you may have been trying during a bad time http://xbmc.org/server-issues/

They are having some issues this year with Frodo 12.0 then the upstream add-on circular dependency etc. Give it a shot now, if not grab the zip from the forum link and install from zip (I had to extract to location originally, but reset things just a month ago and install from zip worked fine)
Reply Home Theater Computers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page