Help me build a HTPC for less than $800 - Just movies and music - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 364 Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Either buy the Rosewill remote (and toss the remote or use as spare but harvest the IR sensor) or you can search Ebay for the HP models. Both work pretty good (under $20)

Really nice choices on the HTPC parts Nick! You've done well it should be an awesome machine !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 364 Old 10-10-2013, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
NewEgg has the Rosewill RHRC-11001 for $13.99 through the 16th of October, but man that IR receiver is HUGE.

post #93 of 364 Old 10-10-2013, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

NewEgg has the Rosewill RHRC-11001 for $13.99 through the 16th of October, but man that IR receiver is HUGE.

It's not THAT big, I was using this exact remote for a while. The IR Receiver can't be more than 2.5 inches wide/deep, and about an inch high.

There is another model with the smaller dongle that frequently goes on sale.

It's a decent cheap remote too.

post #94 of 364 Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yup. I saw that one too. That dongle is a LOT smaller.

Of course, I need to decide if I want to go USB (simple and easy) or something that taps right into the motherboard and hides the IR sensor. This seems more "integrated" but means drilling into my nice new case. The ASRock mobo also has a 5 pin IR header that is in a different layout than some of the others that I have seen that utilize part of a USB header as well.

My mobo has a 5 pin IR Header and not the "CIR" kind either.

I have this pin-out:

Here is a comparison of the type of connector I have (in the green box on the left) vs. the type of header that others may have (red box on the right). Again, I do NOT have the one in red on the right.

I guess in an ideal world, it would be integrated and not a dongle sticking out of a front USB or via a USB extension cable out the back.
post #95 of 364 Old 10-10-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Asrock makes a specific part to be used with those headers

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #96 of 364 Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The one on their web site only works with the CIR headers which the Z87M doesn't have. Then again, most of these mobo companies have less that updated websites.
post #97 of 364 Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Oh eek.gif

I did not look at your specific model, just from past understandings. Good call. Carry on smile.gif

-

post #98 of 364 Old 10-12-2013, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the parts gathered into the family room with plans of assembling today, but "life" happened. I jut got back from my trip late last night, I got up early, drove 90 minutes to my parents' house, helped to put up a 7 foot tall retaining wall, drove back past my home, watched my youngest at the state marching band contest, got home, found out that the clothes washer is broken, fought that for most of the afternoon before I realized that I REALLY needed to mow the grass before it got dark, did some grocery shopping, washed a bunch of clothes by hand (that took a LOT longer than expected), ran some more tests on the hard drives in my media server, and then said the heck with it and watched Star Trek Into Darkness in my home theater at volumes at or near reference level. Now it is 12:30 and I am beat. Time for bed AFTER this picture....

Maybe tomorrow IF I can figure out the clothes washer. More Google searching needed. I doesn't seem to want to spin or drain on its own (although I did get it to drain after messing with it. I need to start taking panels off and looking at controller boards and switches.
post #99 of 364 Old 10-13-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds like my life biggrin.gif Always something. Good luck, I am sure you will find time and success (eventually tongue.gif )

-

post #100 of 364 Old 10-13-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I started putting this together and things are going pretty well, and then....

I got to the point where I was plugging my USB 3.0 front panel cable into the mobo and nope... It won't fit. The blu-ray drive is in the way. The blu-ray drive can NOT go anywhere else either.

The problem is that the end of the cable that plugs into the mobo has a standard USB 3.0 plug that is just way too tall to fit.

So, I was hoping for a 90 degree adapter or something, but no such luck.

The best I could find were these from moddiy.com:

This one is a nice short length (who needs more cable inside there case? Not me) This one goes for $15

Then they have this one with a sleeve which looks nice, but the end doesn't bend as easily, and it is almost 20 inches long! (It is also $20)

Did any of you run into this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?
post #101 of 364 Old 10-14-2013, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I sort of had that problem with my MILO case. Initially a hard drive was in the way, and the USB 3.0 connector was stiff. In order to bend the connector, I took a hair dryer to it to loosen it up, and carefully bent it to the orientation I needed.

Did your case come with a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter? (mine did) If you still can't get the connector in, it might be well enough to just connect to a USB 2.0 connector.

post #102 of 364 Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is sort of what my cable looks like. It is very thick, and would need to either bend where the red line is, or somehow be notched/cut (NOT going to do that) where I put the blue lines. Not sure if heating it up would allow it to bend *that* much.

I do have a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 converter cable, but it seems like a shame since I paid a few extra bucks for the USB 3.0 version of the case.
post #103 of 364 Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

buy a 90 degree adapter extension cable

-

post #104 of 364 Old 10-14-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

buy a 90 degree adapter extension cable

Like the ones I had in my post a couple before this?

Post #100
post #105 of 364 Old 10-14-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. Lol. The page split to page 2 for me (I set for long pages in CP) so I missed that I think, it's last post on that page.

-

post #106 of 364 Old 10-16-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What did you decide. ?

-

post #107 of 364 Old 10-16-2013, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I ordered the shorter one that does not come in the sheathing. I will see about putting the wires into some sort of wire "loom" or something where I can control how it impacts that critical first 90 degree bend.

Of course, it is shipping from Hong Kong. They claim 2-4 days to get to me, but I think that is AFTER it actually ships and it just shipped today despite me ordering a couple of days ago. They marked it as "shipped" about 6 hours after my order, but the "tracking" says that it just shipped today. Looks like next week. At least it is just the USB cable and not something important that holds up progress. smile.gif
post #108 of 364 Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You be surprised how fast Asia is these days...

I guess you can still build it but without working USB3.0 ports for now.

The hard part is software set up. That's the hard part IMO. I am clean installing my HTPC tonight (I have a i5 3570k a little older) and not looking forward to it. My HTPC is already built, but it still will take me some time.

-

post #109 of 364 Old 10-19-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I am messing around with MediaBrowser 3 and just started wondering... I still need to integrate a way to be able to play back a blu-ray (or DVD for that matter) that is put into the drive. A seamless integration into MediaBrowser would be ideal. While this won't be a feature that is used very often, it will happen for those times that my kids' friends come over with a movie on disc, or the occasional RedBox rental that I don't want to have to rip just in order to play it.

What should I be looking for MPC-HC or something? I don't even know what that is yet, but I see it referenced in old posts about disc playback.
post #110 of 364 Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mount ISO virtual drive to play back ISO (works great)

I always rip the disc then playback myself. But if you wanted to play back from disc that's good too. I currently use Cyberlink powerDVD 13 but for not other reason than I have it. Works well and supports 3D too.

There is lots of options for DVD playback or be disc playback. I can recommend powerDVD from Cyberlink because I use it personally but I admit I'm no expert on these matters. It's about 2% of what I do with my HTPC .

Perhaps others can provide better info ? (There is lots of free trials available btw )

I play my ISO with virtual drive and set external player in MB3 classic. Works well.

I would set up mb3 without external player first, install shark007 and codecs and get your WMC all set up how you want (netflix plugin, hulu, amazon video etc). You can add plex or XBMC integration (even mb3t plugin when public ).

One you have it functioning right and how you like it then you can begin to set external players. I appreciate the external player more on TV and DVD but I appreciate the HD overlay on BR more (you lose the cool factor with external players )

My wife prefers the crappier picture and integrated player for looks and feel - which is the main complaint against MADVR (particularly from XBMC users)

Mbt3 should provide solution to that (eventually)

You probably want to skip the external configuration (harder and more complicated ) until you are otherwise 100%

You might even jus want to wait for mbt3 for using MADVR ? Up to you ...

-

post #111 of 364 Old 10-20-2013, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it was more of a 'planning' question at this point I guess. I am getting odd errors on the HTPC with Media Browser 3 that I don't get on my primary PC, but then again, I was reading the the Shark007 codecs aren't required if using the ones that Media Browser installs. I will have to find that link and read more into it. It may have come from Assassin's blog. I posted a couple of the errors over at the mediabrowser3 forums, and got the response to "check my codecs" so it could be the Shark007 ones, or it could just be the way that they are configured. Lots to do there yet.

For the blu-ray disc playback (for when I don't want to rip) I do have a license for Total Media Theater 6 that I have on my primary desktop that I really don't use that I could transfer over to the HTPC and just use that, set to auto-play the blu-ray when inserted.
post #112 of 364 Old 10-21-2013, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Total Media 5 might be a good solution especially if you already have it.

-

post #113 of 364 Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still waiting for my 90* slim connector USB3 cable... "Tracking" from Hong Kong is lame. Just says when it ships. No ETA, no status of where it has been or is currently at... It could come today, it could come in 2 weeks...

On a more pertinent note, TMT6 is working fine for playing back blu-rays discs on the HTPC. I can be running Media Browser 3, open the blu-ray tray, pop in the disc, close it, and TMT6 pops up over top of MB3 and plays the disc. It doesn't close down TMT6 when I eject the disc though, but that is minor.

Now if I could just get past all of the glitches with MB3 I would be doing better. Getting a generic error about not using UNC paths (even though I am) and movies won't play currently. Trailers do though. I can go in Windows Media Center, which is pointed to the same sources, and they play fine.
Heard that it might be a codec issue, which ought to be fun to sort through. Of course, it could be something that just gets ironed out with MB3 as it becomes more "finished" so I am hesitant to spend a TON of time on it. Should be fun when I add things like MadVR, Reclock, etc to the mix.
post #114 of 364 Old 10-23-2013, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's beta. Luke issued a new server build yesterday someone dubbed. "Hotel California" because the exit key was not functioning. You can play your media.... But you can never leave.

Beta biggrin.gif

You might want to change the flipper switch settings so you only install or. "Upgrade " when it's official release, or even public beta. Trying the newest DEV version will likely yield trouble.

Have you tried PLEX ? That's fun too. ( but different )

-

post #115 of 364 Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Shipping from HK is a lottery. I've had items reach me in 3 days. And 30 days... And never. smile.gif
post #116 of 364 Old 10-23-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to the Media Browser website, it says that since it is in Beta now, there will be no updates for anything but "Dev" and "Beta" releases, so if I want updates at this point, I have to leave it at "Beta." Its fine, I understand that it is beta code.

In the meantime, are there good tutorials for setting up the codecs for HTPC use? Or should I start on other tools like MadVR, Reclock, etc at this point?

I guess I need a list again of what apps I should get figured out that will give me great picture output...
post #117 of 364 Old 10-23-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

According to the Media Browser website, it says that since it is in Beta now, there will be no updates for anything but "Dev" and "Beta" releases, so if I want updates at this point, I have to leave it at "Beta." Its fine, I understand that it is beta code.

In the meantime, are there good tutorials for setting up the codecs for HTPC use? Or should I start on other tools like MadVR, Reclock, etc at this point?

I guess I need a list again of what apps I should get figured out that will give me great picture output...

Someone (I forgot who) around here wrote a pretty good guide for Assassin that he put on his guides blog about the SHARK007 CODECS.

Assassin used to not use SHARK007, but he added that section to his guides after because it's popular. That's how I have long done it.

That is what I do for WMC, WMP, and for MB2.6 or Classic.

Here you go:
http://shark007.net/forum/Thread-Setup-and-usage

These are repackaged to include everything you need in a single install. JUST MAKE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION AND CHOOSE CUSTOM AND DE-DESELECT THE CRAPWARE !!!!

Install both 32 bit and 64 bit.

Here is the guide from Assassin's BLOG:

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/wmcandmbsetup/#guide61

That should get you started. That will get you the codecs you need. (you won't need codecs for MB3 Theater they will come in the install and integrated player if you can hang on for it)

Once you get that set up and working you can then try to set up MPC-HC (guide and sticky here on forum I copy pasted earlier by MINDBOMB) which can be configured to use MadVR. Re-clock is cool too but it "breaks" your HD audio so you will need to install the DTS decoder .dll file and bitstream your surround as DTS-HD (locally decoded) so you might want to hang tight on RE-CLOCK if you want to bitstream Dolby TRUE HD and stuff native. It all sounds good to me, so IDK ??? I run 6.1 from a Denon AVR3312.

SVP is pretty cool if you feel like your new HTPC need to get broken in biggrin.gif It should give your GPU and CPU a good beating.
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Download

SVP also works in MPC-HC as external player, and you can turn it on and off on it's own. It's awesome for animation, and new modern stuff like Avengers, Man of Steel, etc... Be careful with set up though, you need to have a display that matched up to make the effect look right (60fps up from 24fps)

-

post #118 of 364 Old 10-23-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I was reading a lot of conflicting information on the new MediaBrowser3.com site about Shark007, so I was figuring that I shouldn't use it, but looking back, it sounds like some of those people were talking about MBT and not MBC...

I will jump back over to Assassin's site tomorrow and do some tinkering.

Thanks for the other links too.
post #119 of 364 Old 10-24-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

NewEgg has the Rosewill RRC-126 media center remote with USB IR receiver on Shell Shock for $13.99 so I ordered one... Don't need the remote, but hopefully the IR receiver is good.
post #120 of 364 Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

NewEgg has the Rosewill RRC-126 media center remote with USB IR receiver on Shell Shock for $13.99 so I ordered one... Don't need the remote, but hopefully the IR receiver is good.
I'm going to need an IR receiver here soon... Is this a good deal?
Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Silverstone Black Milo Series Ml05b Mini Itx Media Center Htpc Case , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page