Help me build a HTPC for less than $800 - Just movies and music - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 364 Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Nice thread, just read it all....

Seems like I'm right behind you, just getting to install Mediabrowser and upload media.... Looking forward to follwing your progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 364 Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I realistically could have been "done" weeks ago, but I was waiting for MediaBrowser Theater to be released before messing around too much, and then I have also been using my HTPC to rip (I have 3 computer each with a Blu-Ray drive in them, so when I sit down for "ripping sessions" it goes fast to have the HTPC right next to the others. Plus, as mentioned, my wife says that I can't use it until Christmas. Hopefully I will get to fire it up successfully tonight with some fixed networking work.

Oh, I just bought a Roku3 today too. It will go in the living room upstairs and get the MediaBrowser app/client.

- Nick Buol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #183 of 364 Old 12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post

Yep you are doing good. IMO the more you *learn* the *less* reformat/reinstalls you do. There are still OCD people who will frequently reinstall for "freshness"

It's not like a wipe and reinstall is complicated. It's typically more complicated to actually troubleshoot what's going on which is why I think the reinstall recommendation is given so often in other forums and even in this one. Similar to just about anything else, paying close attention to detail from start to finish with plenty of research will help you learn a lot and yield good results

I'm that guy your talking about ! tongue.gif

I do love me a fresh install. I clean install every once in a while for a performance boost. Nothing runs as good as a clean install. If you mess around and install and uninstall and such often enough - it just mucks up your system over a long time. As soon as I start getting a problem I just reinstall - but it seems like most of the times in the past it's been because I was operating my desktop in some extreme condition (like overclocked to 5.2ghz and it's not really stable) where it BSOD or my install just got messed up. (hardcore DDR3 overclocks to this too)

I'm not a normal guy in this sense. My HPTC in contrast got installed and basically never touched. It's fine. It's solid and without issue.

But when I do see folks in the forum wondering if they should restore- or clone- or clean install - I almost always vote clean install. If I have an issue that's annoying I won't hesitate to start fresh and get rid of it.

My experience with cloning is that it's just as hard, but often not as good. So I just decide if I am going to put in any effort at all- I am going to do it right the first time and save myself the trouble.

I am numb to it. I can clean install windows 7 from USB, update all drivers and windows updates and install my favorite software in 30 minutes. But I have a process and lots of practice. Plus I build multiple systems per year for others - so I know exactly each step to take from practice. I fetch the fresh drivers and download on another machine while windows is installing (15 minutes) and by the time the desktop loads up on the clean install I already have all the MOBO drivers, software I need. I run windows updates, then start installing software. With SSD boot restart times it's probably only a 20 min total time. Perhaps another 15 for some advanced software set up. Since it's under an hour for me I think I don't see the big deal at all because I am numb to it. I need to remind myself that this same process might be taking others many hours. But still -- I think clean install is generally worth it over cloning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I realistically could have been "done" weeks ago, but I was waiting for MediaBrowser Theater to be released before messing around too much, and then I have also been using my HTPC to rip (I have 3 computer each with a Blu-Ray drive in them, so when I sit down for "ripping sessions" it goes fast to have the HTPC right next to the others. Plus, as mentioned, my wife says that I can't use it until Christmas. Hopefully I will get to fire it up successfully tonight with some fixed networking work.

Oh, I just bought a Roku3 today too. It will go in the living room upstairs and get the MediaBrowser app/client.

I will be curious to see what you think of MB3 on ROKU.

Quote:

I JUST remembered. I didn't get "punch down" style CAT6 keystone jacks. I got a long CAT6 cable and "plug in" style keystone jacks for each end.

****EDIT****
OK. I went out to Monoprice and checked my past orders from 2 years ago when I was finishing the basement. I confirmed that yes, I put in CAT6 cables with ends and used their CAT6 keystone couplers like the one above. Then I checked out these couplers and their ratings/reviews absolutely SUCK. SO many reviews of people having the exact same problem that I am having and when they removed the couplers from the mix, the problems went away. Reports of things working for 2-4 months and then starting to fail, etc. So odds are in my favor that these are the problem. Of course, I have about 10 of these at different locations in the house, but the connection giving me fits is to the home theater where I need it most (our laptops just connect wireless, same with the Wii and XBox 360 and one of our blu-ray player, our primary desktop and the media server are connected directly to the gigabit switch in my office where the wireless router and cable modem are, so they are fine.) Luckily, the connection in our living room upstairs seems solid as it has a Dish receiver and blu-ray player that we have used for minor streaming before without issue.

I will report back tomorrow on what I find out. Oh, and my wife just found out that I hooked up the HTPC in the theater. She gave me a dirty look. She is now telling me that I need to solve this problem and then box it up so it can be wrapped as a Christmas present. She's s stinker that way.

I would first check the cable itself. Do you have a LAN cable tester ? (mono price sells them, I have one and it works good)

If your cable is good- they you can just replace the jacks- Otherwise- Just cut the tips off the cable and punch down onto new better jacks.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #184 of 364 Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 370
OMG. A fresh install is an absolute last resort for me. At last count I had at least 300 programs to re-install, dozens of registry tweaks and hotfixes, dozens of drivers, not to mention the all the licenses, hacks and accounts to set up, then even more programs for different users (4 in my house), and days of windows updates. No way am I spending a couple of days going through all of that when I can press the Clone button and be back up and running in 30 minutes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #185 of 364 Old 12-11-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I would first check the cable itself. Do you have a LAN cable tester ? (mono price sells them, I have one and it works good)

If your cable is good- they you can just replace the jacks- Otherwise- Just cut the tips off the cable and punch down onto new better jacks.

I do not have a cable tester. I used to have one about 5 years back, but it turned up missing after our move 3 years ago and I just haven't broken down to buy one again since it is such a rare usage item.

For me, popping off the face plates and bypassing the connector style keystone jacks will be fastest. I have the proper tools and even a bag of regular "punch down" style keystones to replace with if need be.

Oh, and I am a firm believer in "If your system is mucked-up, do a fresh install." too. Why copy over potential crap from the previous install that you are wanting to replace when a fresh install will take care of it. Sure, it means dusting off your guides and going through the configurations again, but it also gives the opportunity to do any updates at the same time as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

OMG. A fresh install is an absolute last resort for me. At last count I had at least 300 programs to re-install, dozens of registry tweaks and hotfixes, dozens of drivers, not to mention the all the licenses, hacks and accounts to set up, then even more programs for different users (4 in my house), and days of windows updates. No way am I spending a couple of days going through all of that when I can press the Clone button and be back up and running in 30 minutes.

I hear what you are saying. This may work just fine for a hardware issue, but short of dealing with restore points and such for a software issue (if the software itself isn't too corrupted too), a clone will just replicate that problem.

Always a tough call when working with an "extensively configured" system with lots of profiles, apps, data, tweaks, etc.

- Nick Buol

post #186 of 364 Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Weighing in on the fresh install discussion...

I'm all over the place. It depends on the circumstance and the computer. In an enterprise environment, it's hard to beat the fresh install or clone option depending on the resources you have available. And with Microsoft's move to Wim images for deployment the line between what's considered a fresh install, and a cloned image has been blurred, but once you've created a good stable image, it's way easier to push a new image over the network.

I also used to work in a computer training facility that trained hundreds of different applications so we were constantly making new images with new software. To avoid "overcrowded" images we had what amounted to a clean install of Windows + whatever app would be trained. All of the classroom computers got imaged every night (unless a class lasted more than one day) it made for systems that were much more stable, because there's nothing worse than having computers acting weird in the middle of a class you're trying to teach.

At home it depends on which computer you're talking about. File server hasn't been touched since I installed Server 2003 R2 on it several years ago. HTPC gets a lot more direct use, but it's generally been very stable with the exception of a hardware snafu that resulted in a reinstall. My main workstation is running the same Win7 install from day 1. It's been mostly stable with the exception of an MSE OOBE BSOD that resulted in uninstalling Security Essentials and it's been rock solid ever since. I've got it setup with a 128GB SSD for a system partition, and a 64GB SSD that houses the VHD I made from my previous "main" workstation so I can still pull it up when necessary. When I build a new workstation I'll do the same thing with this one. but as mentioned above, I have waaaaaay too much stuff on here to full around with doing a fresh install very often.

My laptops are a different story. Those are the machines I tend to toy around with a lot more, and they are prone to the occasional format and start over. I'm a huge fan of the Dell Latitude series, which makes the format and reinstall extra easy. I have a script that will take a stock Windows ISO, slipstream drivers and updates, and OEM key, it'll add the appropriate $OEM folder and recovery.wim so I get all of the Dell wallpaper, etc, and the certificates necessary to autoactivate. (as intended by microsoft) plus my own VBscript that reads the BIOS and inserts all of the system information into the OEM section as well as updating the support URL with the Service Tag, so when you click on the support link it takes you directly to the driver download page for your specific computer.(I also have OEM stuff for HP/Compaq and Lenovo but I haven't bothered to write the fancy VBscript for them... handy when I'm fixing other people's computers)

It takes longer to build the windows image and burn the ISO than it does to actually install windows, but since all of the processes are pretty much hands-off, I can just start the process and walk away. There are still a few updates that won't slipstream so there is a little bit of downloading once windows is installed, but it's pretty minor.

So basically I'm a fan of cloning... And fresh installs... and fixing the problems.
nickbuol likes this.

RAID protection is only for failed drives. That's it. It's no replacement for a proper backup.
post #187 of 364 Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I was right, and oddly happy that I was... One of the coupler style CAT6 keystones (the one in the theater) failed. For now, I wanted to test the connection, so I just pulled the CAT6 from the wall, through where the failed keystone was, and plugged it in to the gigabit switch, and BAM... Nice green (green for gigabit) connection established.

I left things "as-is" and will put the wall plate back on, etc tomorrow.

So now I am in business. I had some issues to resolve though. The HTPC display wasn't filling the screen, tweaked it with the video card setting tool. I messed with some of the settings for MediaBrowser that seemed OK on a small monitor, but at 138" didn't look the way I wanted. I really had a bulk of things set, so it wasn't hard to finish up. I went in and turned off subtitles (should have done that a long time ago). I also went back and turned on the default action for when someone puts a DVD or Blu-Ray into the HTPC drive to launch Total Media Theater 6. That was one of my wife's key requirements so that if someone rents a movie or someone brings a movie over, we don't have to wait for it to rip before people can watch it. I also noticed that HD audio is working great. I even get my DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD displaying on my receiver. (Some people like me are anal about that kind of thing.)

So, next up (besides putting the faceplate back on and such), I need to get my Harmony One remote working to control the HTPC. After that, I am really fairly "done" and really happy with what is going on. Yes, I am going to add some other plug-ins. I already have the trailers plugin that downloads trailers for current and upcoming movies. I paid for Movie Theme Videos and love that. Next up might be Media Browser Intros as I've already made some "Starlight Theatre" intros and downloaded some high quality Dolby and DTS intros. Not sure yet since it is minor, but for a few bucks it might be fun.

I also need to work on the sort order for the movies. It bugs me, but my wife really hates that related movies aren't grouped together. Like I have the whole Fast and Furious collection, but the 2nd movie was called 2 Fast 2 Furious, so it shows up near the beginning of the list. I know where to change the sort order, but just need to do that. I think that I will drop all of the "The"s before movie names like The Terminator, The Lincoln Lawyer, etc too.

Overall, I am loving it, even if I am not allowed to actually "use" it yet.
Djoel likes this.

- Nick Buol

post #188 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:

So I was right, and oddly happy that I was... One of the coupler style CAT6 keystones (the one in the theater) failed. For now, I wanted to test the connection, so I just pulled the CAT6 from the wall, through where the failed keystone was, and plugged it in to the gigabit switch, and BAM... Nice green (green for gigabit) connection established.

I left things "as-is" and will put the wall plate back on, etc tomorrow.

So now I am in business. I had some issues to resolve though. The HTPC display wasn't filling the screen, tweaked it with the video card setting tool. I messed with some of the settings for MediaBrowser that seemed OK on a small monitor, but at 138" didn't look the way I wanted. I really had a bulk of things set, so it wasn't hard to finish up. I went in and turned off subtitles (should have done that a long time ago). I also went back and turned on the default action for when someone puts a DVD or Blu-Ray into the HTPC drive to launch Total Media Theater 6. That was one of my wife's key requirements so that if someone rents a movie or someone brings a movie over, we don't have to wait for it to rip before people can watch it. I also noticed that HD audio is working great. I even get my DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD displaying on my receiver. (Some people like me are anal about that kind of thing.)

So, next up (besides putting the faceplate back on and such), I need to get my Harmony One remote working to control the HTPC. After that, I am really fairly "done" and really happy with what is going on. Yes, I am going to add some other plug-ins. I already have the trailers plugin that downloads trailers for current and upcoming movies. I paid for Movie Theme Videos and love that. Next up might be Media Browser Intros as I've already made some "Starlight Theatre" intros and downloaded some high quality Dolby and DTS intros. Not sure yet since it is minor, but for a few bucks it might be fun.

I also need to work on the sort order for the movies. It bugs me, but my wife really hates that related movies aren't grouped together. Like I have the whole Fast and Furious collection, but the 2nd movie was called 2 Fast 2 Furious, so it shows up near the beginning of the list. I know where to change the sort order, but just need to do that. I think that I will drop all of the "The"s before movie names like The Terminator, The Lincoln Lawyer, etc too.

Overall, I am loving it, even if I am not allowed to actually "use" it yet.

Man you're up and running is what it sounds to me ( happy it was what you thought the problem was), for the exemption of a few things which sound minor but it's good to go! I like the idea of the intros, should for sure. I have a few of those Dts videos, and Pioneer samples some where, I should rip those as well.
Yeah I'm like that too love to see the db, dtsma logos, or I'm not a happy camper lol biggrin.gif

Looking forward on seeing things come together, or even at Mfusick's new thread with skins and all, those guys posting their custom skins make me feel like a kindergartener!

Good luck

DJoel

post #189 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Mediacentermaster is your friend.

Your getting into the nitty gritty stuff that really maximizes your HTPC experience so congrats on that as it means you are successful.

Since you have the premium version of MCM you can use it to rename your titles automatically. In the setting menu for MCM there is an organization screen that gives you different options. One option is the movie first then a comma and then "the". example:

fast and furious, the

Another option is to omit it. (Just remove word "the")

One of the million cool things I love about MCM is these things are customizable. Meaning that if you don't see the specific combo or organization you want in those drop down boxes you can just type write in the selector box exactly how you want it. The drop down options are only suggestions.

So you can literally just highlight and delete commas or dashes if you don't want them to show up. Or shuffle stuff around and change the order.

One thing I recently started playing with (not sure if I will keep it) is changing the way my episodes are named.

Traditionally I would do this:

Person of Intrest - S01E01 - Pilot

But I found that in some cases (not MB3 on my HTPC) the season didn't show up. Specifically - on the idevices like phones and tablets where the screen real estate is limited. So I could see which episode was what.

So I changed it to:

S01E01 - Pilot - Person on Interest

I don't need see the name if the show because I've already navigated into the season folder of that show and know it.

I'm not sure I won't do something else but that's a really good example of how powerful MCM can be. Go into the MCM organization settings and update them how you want it to handle shows with "the" (you can remove it or move it to the end)

Then click auto rename feature and that takes care of that!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #190 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Also - sounds like you need some help with box sets and nested folders. With MCM you can create a top level nested folder- or a collection and then inside out all your movies.

Example: Fast and Furious Collection
Inside: all of them.

I like this because it cleans up my library. 99% of the time I'm probably not going to play that movie so I don't need six different movies showing up in my top level collection. If I want to watch any of them is first click on the fast and furious collection then just pick which one I want. That's easy way to fix your problem and keep your top level cleaner.

Plus you get a chance to get wild with fan art and box set icons. There tons of awesome ones available on the MB3 developer site. I also like Xzeners icons and EHS.

If you need some let me know what you need and I'll drop them into my Dropbox and share mine. Really cool to have "lord of rings trilogy" or "Jurassic park trilogy " custom art and all the movies together in a collection.

I do this for Star Wars, Star Trek etc... Too

-

post #191 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Crap. I had a long reply, and then AVS just got stuck on the "Submitting Content" or whatever screen. Ugh. This time, I will type it into Notepad and can copy and paste and resubmit. Hang tight.

*****EDIT******
OK, Lets try this again.

Oh yes, I know all about MCM changing folder and file names. I've been doing that since my 2nd Rip. It sets them to have the "The" at the end of the title name and just before the date that it adds. However, MediaBrowser doesn't care when the folder name is and how that sorts in Windows Explorer, it uses the metadata.

So even though MCM is setting the folder name correctly, the metadata is still having the title name with the "The" at the beginning set for the movie in 2 spots.

One is the display name, which is fine. This is the text that shows up in MediaBrowser, and it more natural to have the "The" at the beginning, so that is fine.

Then it also has a "Sort Order" section. This *may* be a MediaBrowser thing as I didn't notice the ability to change this until just last night when I was looking at the MediaBrowser server console. On the left of the main menu screen on the server, at the very bottom, is something that I didn't see before. A metadata editor. So I open that up, and sure enough, there are the movies and their metadata in an easy to view and edit format, and displayed in the order in which you would see them on the HTPC interface (which is handy).

So I just went into all of the movies starting with "The" and deleted the "The " (note the space was removed too) from the Sort Order name.

This fixed a LOT of the issues. Now, the next thing, was the sort order for things like The Bourne movies, all of the Star Trek movies, Transformers, Batman, so on and so forth.

So I just renamed their sort order name to Bourne 1, Bourne 2, etc. Star Trek 01, Star Trek 02 (had to put in a leading zero since there are more than 9). And BAM. Solved. This to me says that the sort order is handled by what MediaBrowser sees in the metadata and not by the folder name at all like you suggested.

I went this route because the nesting is somewhat annoying to me, and since they are in sequential order now, it flows pretty nicely, plus the biggest thing is getting buy-in from the family. I mean, one of the biggest failure points for HTPC usage is getting the family to like it, so when they tell me that they want to see all of the movies and not have to click on "Batman" and then see the trilogy, then that is what I am going to do. smile.gif

I DO still need to nest each of the 2-disk LOTR movies yet. I didn't like putting them all into one collection, but now that things are getting the final polishes, I will put both parts of FOTR into one nest, TTT into another and ROTK into its nest. I already have their sort names fixed for the time being so that at least The Two Towers isn't showing up AFTER Return Of The King.

Now, for the naming of the TV episodes. I only have one series on there, and I already was using the naming convention that you ended up going with in the end and it seems to work well.

So see maybe *I* can teach *you* a thing or two about MediaBrowser (at least about how it handles the sort order).

Now if I could just figure out a way to scroll through all of those "top level" (non-nested) movies faster while still using the "coverflow" type of layout, that would be great. In MB3 Classic, you can type in a letter and jump to that. While that isn't the best solution in a theater without breaking out the wireless keyboard, it would be nice if you could jump. The feature is probably there, but I just need to find it. Hmm... I wonder what happens if I press the "chapter skip" button... More to try tonight I guess, but boy is it getting close to a final, fully polished solution.

Oh, one last note. I noticed some light (super light) stuttering when starting some movies and not others when I was testing. I found that many time, just hitting "Pause" for literally 1 second would make things flow smooth. I need to figure out what that is. The biggest culprit of this I never went back to test "pausing for 1 second" on and that is The Wolverine. I will dig into that a little more tonight. It is almost like it needs to just "catch its breath" for a second between the menu interface and starting the movie. Maybe it is the video background transition to the movie. I guess another test would be to remove the video background from The Wolverine and see it the stuttering follows the video background being there or not.

- Nick Buol

post #192 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Let me clarify how sorting works in Media Browser.

If you have xml metadata containing the SortTitle field, this value is used as the sort name. You may want to check if MCM is writing that value, and if so, have write the same name that is used for the folder name.

If you do not have xml metadata, or it does not contain the SortTitle field, then we use our own internal algorithm to calculate the sort name. It's actually very simple. It starts with the Name, and strips out words such a "a", "the", etc. It does a couple other things but that's the gist of it.

As for boxsets, here is my recommendation. Do not worry about grouping your movies into boxset folders in the file system. We are about to release an Auto Boxsets plugin that will create boxsets automatically using movies in your library using boxset metadata from Tmdb. That in my opinion will be the best way to start with boxsets, and then if you don't like the metadata it pulled you can always use the web interface to change it.
post #193 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukemb View Post

Let me clarify how sorting works in Media Browser.

If you have xml metadata containing the SortTitle field, this value is used as the sort name. You may want to check if MCM is writing that value, and if so, have write the same name that is used for the folder name.

If you do not have xml metadata, or it does not contain the SortTitle field, then we use our own internal algorithm to calculate the sort name. It's actually very simple. It starts with the Name, and strips out words such a "a", "the", etc. It does a couple other things but that's the gist of it.

As for boxsets, here is my recommendation. Do not worry about grouping your movies into boxset folders in the file system. We are about to release an Auto Boxsets plugin that will create boxsets automatically using movies in your library using boxset metadata from Tmdb. That in my opinion will be the best way to start with boxsets, and then if you don't like the metadata it pulled you can always use the web interface to change it.

Thanks Luke !

I was actually going to respond with basically the same thing about the xml metadata files but it's better to hear it from you (since I was only 80% sure).

@ Nick- When you use MCM you need to either re-fetch- the movie under the new scheme (settings), clear out the meta data and do it again- or write over the existing meta data (you can do this with right click on the movie item) as update. If the folder name changes but the xml doesn not then you will get what you got. In order to change both you need to check off the box in MCM that says "rename all files and folders" as part of the rename (as opposed to just the folder).

@ Luke,

Sounds like an awesome plugin!

-

post #194 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wowza... Luke has been to my thread! Sweet! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the tips. I am cool either way right now with the metadata. I certainly wasn't "blaming" MediaBrowser for anything and I fully understand that it is just going what it is told from the metadata from Media Center Master and my configuration of it. I actually thought that it was pretty cool that I could (very) easily edit the metadata information from the MediaBrowser server console. That piece is really handy.

I will hold tight on the groupings for now.

Mfusick, I will probably adjust my settings in MCM and for now just worry about things moving forward since everything it looking pretty good for my sort order right now. I am down to my last 20 discs to rip (half of those will be done tonight) so I am going to tweak these and see how the "new" and "old" play together. Then, once I get more time down the road and after I am actually enjoying the system, I will just refetch the metadata so that it is at least consistent and then make the sorting adjustments (like the 12 Star Treks) so that they are at least in date order for that set.

Lots of fun stuff, and the best part is that NOTHING is a show stopper. Just tuning the last little bit.
Djoel likes this.

- Nick Buol

post #195 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wowza... Luke has been to my thread! Sweet! biggrin.gif

I actually PM-ed him a link here biggrin.gif
Quote:
Mfusick, I will probably adjust my settings in MCM and for now just worry about things moving forward since everything it looking pretty good for my sort order right now. I am down to my last 20 discs to rip (half of those will be done tonight) so I am going to tweak these and see how the "new" and "old" play together. Then, once I get more time down the road and after I am actually enjoying the system, I will just refetch the metadata so that it is at least consistent and then make the sorting adjustments (like the 12 Star Treks) so that they are at least in date order for that set.

Lots of fun stuff, and the best part is that NOTHING is a show stopper. Just tuning the last little bit.

The best thing about auto scrapers is.... THEY SCRAPE AUTOMATICALLY tongue.gif

That's really the easy part. The hard part is learning what you want- and figuring out your settings and setup to get it. Once you get your MCM set up right (or MBserver) you should just be able to let it go. No further action required. You don't need to worry about "new" and "old" media not aligning properly. You can just re-fetch everything. There is a cool "re-fetch all media" option that will do this for you and over write any existing meta data or replace it (including art). Just click it, go make lunch or something and let it run. It might take a while but it will get it all done.

As far as MB3 server goes- I have been really impressed with it. It's internal scraper is really quite wonderful. It's much better than MB2 was IMO. I don't manage any media on my HTPC, but I can see how someone with an all in one machine could get really great results by just using the internal scraper and doing it on the HTPC.

I use a triple monitor workstation - and the thing I love is how I can organize my media on the high performance PC (high end mouse, keyboard, multi monitors, fast CPU etc) making the process fast and easy - and then I can just copy paste the media into my media collection on my WHS Flexraid server and put it into my collection - and I know exactly how it's going to show up and look. I don't do anything on my HTPC. I don't even have a keyboard or mouse hooked up to my HTPC. Just a remote. It's nice moving media onto my server and knowing it's just going to show how I want. It's a pet peave of mine if there is a missing album cover, or meta data - or something just isn't complete in my actual HTPC browser.

That brings me to my last point about media management - MB folder structure- and nested folders. Using your example for Star Trek above- It just always made sense to me to have a single folder (collection) called "STAR TREK COLLECTION" and inside have 12 movies. (or more if you have 720p and 1080p versions, or the TV shows too.) I actually have the 1080p BR Star Trek Original Series, and also The Next Generation (up to season 5 is 1080p, season 6 and 7 being released soon) as well as the DVD versions of Voyager and Deep Space 9. I decided to keep the TV shows inside my TV shows folder and in my TV collection - and keep only the "movies" inside my movies collection.

This means that when browsing the category I see only a top level folder called "STAR TREK COLLECTION" and inside I see all 12 movies. The idea with this is that I don't want to scroll past 12 Star Trek movies to get to what I really want to get to in the likely event that I don't want to watch any of those 12 movies at that moment. I find this keeps my "top level" of my collection cleaner and less populated. When your collection grows bigger and bigger- making it easier to navigate through a big collection can be important.

There is some great artwork available for collections

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permalinks/1223/where-do-i-get-artwork-to-customize-media-browser

MB3 : http://mediabrowser3.com/community/index.php?/forum/70-fan-art/

Check this out:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mp2r76biwbh6k49/NewBoxsets.zip

http://www.flickr.com/photos/98709975@N02/

There is lots of cool fan made options.

Or you can take to google.

EDIT: Lol at picture of me eating icecream as google search result for "Star Trek boxset Media Browser 3"

That's funny! ^

I just got home now and I checked to see what I was using for icons (it's been a long time)

I am using these:

-

post #196 of 364 Old 12-12-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

LOL, that is funny. Yeah, for MCM I just have it running manually on my RIPS folder, just so I can manage the new additions and then I move everything to the movies share. After had it running automatically for a while, but being anal about my data, I like the manual control to work through things.

Again, on the collections, I will need to do that for one of the collections and see what my wife likes. I can work it either way, but if she doesnt like it, then my two daughters won't like it. And without them liking it, I will hear about how big of a waste of time and money it is... Yes, that is a realistic possibility in my house.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

- Nick Buol

post #197 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Two things:
1) My Roku 3 showed up yesterday. I set it up, grabbed the MediaBrowser3 app, and in a couple of minutes was watching 1080p with surround sound movies in our living room. Nice.

2) For my HTPC, I am in need of some MadVR help. I specifically went with a "more powerful than required" setup so that I could run about as good of a video and audio setup as possible, but when I enable MadVR in Media Browser Theater (no settings in MBT, so it has to be something, somewhere in MadVR) I get light stuttering every couple of seconds. If I turn MadVR off, then it actually seems pretty solid.

I went back to post #76 about setting up MadVR and followed it again, and still no dice.

So that you don't have to go back and search, this is the configuration that I went with as found here: My HTPC Config #5 (final)
  • Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4Ghz Quad Core
  • ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX mobo
  • G.Skill Area 8GB DDR3-2400 RAM
  • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
  • Ause Radeon 7790 1GB Video Card

and so on... Those are the key components.

- Nick Buol

post #198 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Two things:
1) My Roku 3 showed up yesterday. I set it up, grabbed the MediaBrowser3 app, and in a couple of minutes was watching 1080p with surround sound movies in our living room. Nice.

[

Sweet ! Tell me if you like it. I am considering a ROKU for another TV in our house I don't want a full blow HTPC on. Does it do NETFLIX ? It plays full quality audio and video ? Read the MB3 media library I already have set up ?

Also- Does it have optical or coax digital out for an older AVR without HDMI ? (yeah I have one of those in that room) Help me out. I might grab one for my mom and one for myself.

-

post #199 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

2) For my HTPC, I am in need of some MadVR help. I specifically went with a "more powerful than required" setup so that I could run about as good of a video and audio setup as possible, but when I enable MadVR in Media Browser Theater (no settings in MBT, so it has to be something, somewhere in MadVR) I get light stuttering every couple of seconds. If I turn MadVR off, then it actually seems pretty solid.

I went back to post #76 about setting up MadVR and followed it again, and still no dice.

So that you don't have to go back and search, this is the configuration that I went with as found here: My HTPC Config #5 (final)
  • Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4Ghz Quad Core
  • ASRock Z87M Extreme4 Micro ATX mobo
  • G.Skill Area 8GB DDR3-2400 RAM
  • Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD
  • Ause Radeon 7790 1GB Video Card

and so on... Those are the key components.

Give me some time to get back on my PC and I will help you with this. I would first start by setting MadVR right, and confirming you have HDMI output from your GPU card and not motherboard. You have your GPU card driver installed and the GPU card works right ? Then it's probably some setting.

Go into MadVR and set it for something easier like Lancoz ... try it and see if it stutters. Then try JINC3 with anti ringing for both- and CatMull for the last. Does it stutter ? (JINC is harder)

You might need to enable de-interlacing or smooth video. Might want to send Madshi a PM (he created MadVR) if we can't fix this easily. 3570k + 7790 Radeon card should get you good results.

-

post #200 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I just got a Roku 3. This is finally going to get my off my butt to upgrade to MB3. I am not impressed with Plex on the Roku so I have hopes MB3 will be much better.

post #201 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardogChampion View Post

I just got a Roku 3. This is finally going to get my off my butt to upgrade to MB3. I am not impressed with Plex on the Roku so I have hopes MB3 will be much better.

Let me know in time to get one for Xmas gift !

Where you buy it? How much ?

http://www.roku.com/products/compare?sp=1&gclid=CLic3IGqursCFeYWMgodzxoA-w

I see a bunch but I am noob at these. I am thinking this would make a great gift for my mother for Xmas. She really want to watch stuff while she is on the treadmill upstairs. She has a TV on the wall but no cable or satellite there. She does have a HTPC in the living room that could feed it. I could get Cat6 to it.

What's the basic differences? Is the $50 enough or do I need $100 one ? Which one did you guys get ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

I see a bunch of different ones and I am getting confuses which is newest, fastest, best... etc... I'd like to get one that works well with remote easily. Some say IR others say WIFI DIRECT. Does that mean you can't use IR ?

Thanks in advance for the quick help.

Edit: I said screw it and got the $99 one. I'm tired of making the mistake of getting the cheap one and regretting it. The 5x faster processor sold me. That's basically code words for "our cheap ones are slow" I'm curious to give it a try. I think my mom with like it. Once I learned what the WIFI remote does and that it has a built in headphone jack... I was sold.

-

post #202 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sweet ! Tell me if you like it. I am considering a ROKU for another TV in our house I don't want a full blow HTPC on. Does it do NETFLIX ? It plays full quality audio and video ? Read the MB3 media library I already have set up ?

Also- Does it have optical or coax digital out for an older AVR without HDMI ? (yeah I have one of those in that room) Help me out. I might grab one for my mom and one for myself.

It was really slick and easy to setup and use. VERY plug in play. The Roku 3 has wireless and wired. I just connected up to my 10/100MB switch in the living room, and it connected up to the network, ran a Roku update, connected to my Roku account (free), and then installed the MediaBrowser3 app. Again, click click, done kind of thing. I opened the app, and it asked if it wanted me to manually type in the media server name/ip, or auto scan. I just let it scan the network and find it. Boom, connected.

Inside the app, it has settings to control the level of quality. I set it to 1080p from 720p, I bumped it up to surround from stereo. There are also settings for how much data you want to push. It defaults to something like 2.5MBs or something that seems low to me, but looked great on our 47" TV. You can throttle that up to 20MBs for more data.

I did NOT test anything with HD audio, but can check that out tonight.

Also, the ONLY output it has is HDMI. Some of the older ones have other connection options. The Roku 1 and 2 do 1080p, have more connection options. The 3 is a LOT faster navigation over the previous ones, and can handle gigabit. Go here to see the differences:
Roku Model Comparison

- Nick Buol

post #203 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Give me some time to get back on my PC and I will help you with this. I would first start by setting MadVR right, and confirming you have HDMI output from your GPU card and not motherboard. You have your GPU card driver installed and the GPU card works right ? Then it's probably some setting.

Go into MadVR and set it for something easier like Lancoz ... try it and see if it stutters. Then try JINC3 with anti ringing for both- and CatMull for the last. Does it stutter ? (JINC is harder)

You might need to enable de-interlacing or smooth video. Might want to send Madshi a PM (he created MadVR) if we can't fix this easily. 3570k + 7790 Radeon card should get you good results.

HDMI is connected to the GPU card, not MOBO. GPU drivers are on and installed. Actually, even when I was connected to a monitor, I never used the MOBO video. I had the monitor connected to the GPU card.

I will drop "down" to Lancoz and see what happens first.

This is all done within WPC-HC, right?

- Nick Buol

post #204 of 364 Old 12-18-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

HDMI is connected to the GPU card, not MOBO. GPU drivers are on and installed. Actually, even when I was connected to a monitor, I never used the MOBO video. I had the monitor connected to the GPU card.

I will drop "down" to Lancoz and see what happens first.

This is all done within WPC-HC, right?

You can click the MadVR icon on the bottom right. I might suggest you leave MBclasic alone (although external MPC-HC is an option) because I find it's slicker with the internal player. But regardless of that- MadVR should work without stuttering in both MBtheater and MPC-HC

If you click the icon on the bottom right (you know where VOB subtitles. XY or VS filter, LAV AUDIO are...) you can change setting for MadVR there. Your hardware should be good enough to run any level you want, especially on fim (easier) so I would just change them to see if it helps or not. Then change it back.

The problem might be something else.

-

post #205 of 364 Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. I must have missed that setting option in MBT. I will see if I can check it out tonight. Getting really crazy at our house the closer we get to Christmas.

BTW: 1sale.com has a refurbished Roku 3 for sale for $69.99 with free shipping. So 30% off most other regular prices for refurbished. I've bought several items from them and no issues at all.

- Nick Buol

post #206 of 364 Old 12-19-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hmmm. I must have missed that setting option in MBT. I will see if I can check it out tonight. Getting really crazy at our house the closer we get to Christmas.

BTW: 1sale.com has a refurbished Roku 3 for sale for $69.99 with free shipping. So 30% off most other regular prices for refurbished. I've bought several items from them and no issues at all.

1-2 week shipping frown.gif

I will keep this for myself I guess.

I will pick up one at Costco for my brother and his wife for a gift this weekend. I already bought one on Amazon yesterday. These seem like good gifts, and neither my brother or parents are "techie" to get one but would enjoy provided I set it up and show them how it works.
They need simple.

My guess is they will use these more often than the HTPC's (they have identical HTPC's I built them using cheap H61 Asrock board, G630 CPU, SSD, in a Silverstone MILO3 case. )

This should extend them to a second room.

Thanks for the heads up!

-

post #207 of 364 Old 12-19-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you click the icon on the bottom right (you know where VOB subtitles. XY or VS filter, LAV AUDIO are...) you can change setting for MadVR there. Your hardware should be good enough to run any level you want, especially on fim (easier) so I would just change them to see if it helps or not. Then change it back.

The problem might be something else.

I see no such icon for MadVR...

Do you have a picture you could post?

- Nick Buol

post #208 of 364 Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yup. But I am on my work PC (which does not have Madvr tongue.gif )

I can do it when I get home tonight. It only shows if you are playing a movie active. Install MadVR (install.bat file) and play a movie. The icon will show in the bottom right of screen near the clock and other programs running. Or you can hit CNTL+O (for options) in MPC-HC and bring up the options screen and get there.

Did you take a look at the MPC-HC sticky ? (or are you using MB theater? or MediaOS ?)

-

post #209 of 364 Old 12-20-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

-

post #210 of 364 Old 12-20-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

-

Reply Home Theater Computers

Tags
Silverstone Black Milo Series Ml05b Mini Itx Media Center Htpc Case , Asrock , Asrock Z87m Extreme4 Lga1150 Intel Z87 Chipset Ddr3 Quad Crossfirex Quad Sli Sata3 Usb3 0 Microatx M
Gear in this thread - Lga1150 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page