With new Tvs are HTPCs needed? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 136 Old 10-05-2013, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
DanPackMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post


The true reason VHS won over betamax, was because porno industry adopted VHS. Same goes for DVD over Laserdisc, and BluRay over HDDVD.

The reason all these video compresison codecs were created is becaue of limited bandwidth and desire to download porn.

Porn is the reason why Al Gore invented the internet.
StinDaWg and Sammy2 like this.
DanPackMan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 136 Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

The true reason VHS won over betamax, was because porno industry adopted VHS. Same goes for DVD over Laserdisc, and BluRay over HDDVD.

No, the real reason was because VHS could record six hours on a tape whereas Beta was limited to 4.5 hours. There were also more VCR manufacturers that supported VHS than Beta. Sony did a piss-poor job of marketing Beta even though it was a technically superior format. In the end they jumped onto the VHS bandwagon and made a quality product. Porn had absolutely nothing to do with it.

DVD won over Laserdisc because it was smaller, more portable, all digital, didn't require you to turn over discs in the middle of the movie, and supported Dolby Digital. It was also a recordable format. Blu-Ray could support up to 50GB of data vs. only 25GB for HD-DVD. Once again, the porn industry had nothing to do with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post

Porn is the reason why Al Gore invented the internet.

Now that I'd believe. biggrin.gif
captain_video is offline  
post #123 of 136 Old 10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jdcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Laserdisc supported both Dolby Digital, and DTS. The video was analog, of course.
jdcrox is offline  
post #124 of 136 Old 10-05-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Carlos Fong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow way of topic I would like to close this thread by saying that

for arguments sake My homemade BluRay movie did not play on my samsung tv when its on Bluray folders or with a m2ts extension BUT it did play if I changed the extension to .mpg but did not play sound and gave me an error of audio codec not supported.

My HOMEVideo BlueRay DISC is 22 GB and soundless playback is very smooth.

If anyone here has found a way to play BLU Ray HOMEVIDEO movies that you crated yourself with the BLU Ray Disc Structure on a Samsung TV USB Stick please let me know

So I guess only 12 GB MKV movie files for me and no 30 GB Blu Rays
Carlos Fong is offline  
post #125 of 136 Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
captain_video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 3,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrox View Post

Laserdisc supported both Dolby Digital, and DTS. The video was analog, of course.
Neither Dolby Digital or DTS were available on Laserdiscs initially. The original audio formats were PCM and analog. Neither surround audio format appeared until much later. None of the early Laserdisc players supported either format, although they could be modified to do so for a couple hundred bucks.
captain_video is offline  
post #126 of 136 Old 10-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Senior Member
 
durack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

Good summary.

The music industry was screaming bloody murder ever since mp3 files first appeared, but now you can download DRM free files from Apple and Amazon and do whatever you want with them.

Fact is, not a single DRM scheme has prevented pirates from obtaining movies - once a movie is out, the MKVs are out as well.
Sure, you can buy your Blu-Ray with digital copy now but first, only iTunes or Amazon movies are easy to use, UltraViolet is a bad joke and sometimes it is the only option.
Just as the music industry, the movie industry will eventually realize that spitting paying customers in the face is not a good business strategy.
StinDaWg likes this.
durack is offline  
post #127 of 136 Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jdcrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video View Post

Neither Dolby Digital or DTS were available on Laserdiscs initially. The original audio formats were PCM and analog. Neither surround audio format appeared until much later. None of the early Laserdisc players supported either format, although they could be modified to do so for a couple hundred bucks.
The early laserdiscs werwe analog only, the digital PCM tracks came later, as you said. However DTS laserdiscs used the PCM tracks to carry the DTS signal, so any Laserdisc player with a digital audio out could play a DTS laserdisc. You are correct in that it was only the later players, from the mid-90's on had AC-3 RF outputs for Dolby Digital.
But I will stop now, this is a major thread crap. Sorry OP.
John
jdcrox is offline  
post #128 of 136 Old 10-06-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Fong View Post


If anyone here has found a way to play BLU Ray HOMEVIDEO movies that you crated yourself with the BLU Ray Disc Structure on a Samsung TV USB Stick please let me know

You can't, your Samsung SmartTV isn't Smart enough to do it.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #129 of 136 Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
EricN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I definitely need the HTPC for recording TV programs.

Has anyone here played around with SamyGO recently? It's a replacement firmware for Samsung TVs that adds more HTPC functions (like DVR and live TV buffer using internal storage).

I'm curious if Samsung will give up on trying to build its own app garden for Smart TVs and unlock the hardware.
EricN is offline  
post #130 of 136 Old 10-15-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

I definitely need the HTPC for recording TV programs.

Has anyone here played around with SamyGO recently? It's a replacement firmware for Samsung TVs that adds more HTPC functions (like DVR and live TV buffer using internal storage).

I'm curious if Samsung will give up on trying to build its own app garden for Smart TVs and unlock the hardware.

While that is interesting, why would you want to risk bricking the f/w on an HDTV that costs thousands of dollars when you can build a basic HTPC for a few hundred and be able to have a PVR that works on a HDD of up to 4TB rather than internal storage that is maybe 16GB?

Sammy2 is offline  
post #131 of 136 Old 10-15-2013, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EricN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

While that is interesting, why would you want to risk bricking the f/w on an HDTV that costs thousands of dollars when you can build a basic HTPC for a few hundred and be able to have a PVR that works on a HDD of up to 4TB rather than internal storage that is maybe 16GB?

Like a many of the things we do..."because we can". I could see a use for something like this in a boat/RV/beach house where space is a premium and just being able buffer/shift a few OTA shows would be a really nice feature.

As far as price goes, the smaller ones are only a few hundred bucks new, and the old Smart TVs ones have been around for long enough that "normal" people are starting to upgrade/upsize them frequently enough that finding a functional used one on craigslist doesn't require hunting forever. Hardware-wise, they are closer to being a full all-in-one PC than a monitor. Seeing how far that gear can be pushed is an interesting idea.
EricN is offline  
post #132 of 136 Old 10-16-2013, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Sammy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Right next to Wineville, CA
Posts: 9,846
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I searched that site and could not find a discussion of making your Samsung TV have a PVR. That said, a typical WTV file of a one hour HD show is in the neighborhood of 10gigs so it would not take much to over-run the RAM on the HDTV.

Sammy2 is offline  
post #133 of 136 Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
EricN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/How_to_capture_channel_(PVR_functionality)
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Activating_PVR_on_D5500

It looks like Samsung was building Pause and Record features for these TVs, but it never made it to prime time. It uses a USB stick or external drive for storage. I wonder if the feature never shipped for technical or legal reasons.
EricN is offline  
post #134 of 136 Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,818
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/How_to_capture_channel_(PVR_functionality)
http://wiki.samygo.tv/index.php5/Activating_PVR_on_D5500

It looks like Samsung was building Pause and Record features for these TVs, but it never made it to prime time. It uses a USB stick or external drive for storage. I wonder if the feature never shipped for technical or legal reasons.

Why develop it when RVU with RVU compliant DVR's works great? We use the RVU service with our F5500 LED and the DirectTV Genie. The Samsung remote controls all the DTV DVR, functions, and we get the same guide and menus as well on the screen, so it's virtually indistinguishable from the DTV hardware.

Looky here!
robnix is offline  
post #135 of 136 Old 10-16-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
EricN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 1,244
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

Why develop it when RVU with RVU compliant DVR's works great?

How many "RVU compliant DVRs" are there other than the DirecTV Genie?
EricN is offline  
post #136 of 136 Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pittsoccer33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh (East Liberty)
Posts: 2,017
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricN View Post

It looks like Samsung was building Pause and Record features for these TVs, but it never made it to prime time. It uses a USB stick or external drive for storage. I wonder if the feature never shipped for technical or legal reasons.

Perhaps it does in other countries. LG has built DVR functions into numerous tvs over the last 5 years but I get the sense (I might be wrong) that it was most popular in Europe.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
pittsoccer33 is offline  
Reply Home Theater Computers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off